and on the tails of that...
blabbermouth wrote:SLAYER's KERRY KING: 'Norwegian Black Metal Is Sh*t' - June 29, 2007

SLAYER guitarist Kerry King has slammed the Norwegian black metal scene as "shit," claiming that black metal musicians spend far too much time generating controversy instead of honing their songwriting and musical skills. Speaking to Norway's VG Nett on the eve of the band's appearance at Hovefestivalen (a brand new five-day festival being held June 25-29 on the island of Tromøy, just outside the city of Arendal in Norway), King said, "Norwegian black metal is shit. I don't understand why they [Norwegian black metal musicians] think they must kill someone in order to improve their music. Go home and practice your instruments instead! I don't get it. I don't need to kill anyone so that young musicians will look up to me as a role model."

As previously reported, SLAYER will re-release its "Christ Illusion" album on July 24. The limited-edition set will contain the previously unreleased cut "The Final Six", as well as an alternate version of "Black Serenade". The reissue marks the band's first collaboration with new label home Columbia Records; SLAYER left Warner Bros. when longtime producer Rick Rubin jumped ship to head Columbia back in May. The reissue will also boast a bonus DVD called "Slayer on Tour '07". It will include the "Eyes of the Insane" video; a live rendition of the band's 1988 LP track "South of Heaven" that was shot in Vancouver, British Columbia, on last year's "Unholy Alliance" run; and a behind-the-scenes, five-minute documentary-style montage of footage shot earlier this year when the band performed in Florida and Australia.
wow, let's talk about something that happened 15 years ago as though it were yesterday. i'll be he's never even listened to any of it. they're winning lots of points with me lately.

TC wrote:and on the tails of that...
blabbermouth wrote:SLAYER's KERRY KING: 'Norwegian Black Metal Is Sh*t' - June 29, 2007

SLAYER guitarist Kerry King has slammed the Norwegian black metal scene as "shit," claiming that black metal musicians spend far too much time generating controversy instead of honing their songwriting and musical skills. Speaking to Norway's VG Nett on the eve of the band's appearance at Hovefestivalen (a brand new five-day festival being held June 25-29 on the island of Tromøy, just outside the city of Arendal in Norway), King said, "Norwegian black metal is shit. I don't understand why they [Norwegian black metal musicians] think they must kill someone in order to improve their music. Go home and practice your instruments instead! I don't get it. I don't need to kill anyone so that young musicians will look up to me as a role model."

As previously reported, SLAYER will re-release its "Christ Illusion" album on July 24. The limited-edition set will contain the previously unreleased cut "The Final Six", as well as an alternate version of "Black Serenade". The reissue marks the band's first collaboration with new label home Columbia Records; SLAYER left Warner Bros. when longtime producer Rick Rubin jumped ship to head Columbia back in May. The reissue will also boast a bonus DVD called "Slayer on Tour '07". It will include the "Eyes of the Insane" video; a live rendition of the band's 1988 LP track "South of Heaven" that was shot in Vancouver, British Columbia, on last year's "Unholy Alliance" run; and a behind-the-scenes, five-minute documentary-style montage of footage shot earlier this year when the band performed in Florida and Australia.
wow, let's talk about something that happened 15 years ago as though it were yesterday. i'll be he's never even listened to any of it. they're winning lots of points with me lately.
I'm left clueless about how it's possible to be so clueless. Perhaps it's an issue of slow reaction time. Maybe kerry just found out that old fans hate most of their newer shit. I still think that huge chunks of "seasons" are weak. If they were as bad at playing their old shit as metallica is, maybe they'd have fewer die-hard supporters. Slayer has been coasting for years.

Seriously, "instrumental improvement/less murder" is something the norwegians figured out10 years ago or so.............
Ride me a worm, you're a rider...
Walk without rhythm and you're a strider of deserts...

Ah c'mon, it wouldn't be a Kerry interview if he didn't say something asinine. He at least can still claim to be the guy who wrote "Piece by Piece." :wink:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

ROFL...........heh. Well, South Park did teach me that Hippies Hate Death Metal. Slayer's "Raining Blood" most of all, apparently.............

I love the shit out of marijuana...........but fuck hippies.........

harmo wrote:Hmmm, I kind of think of music as the anti-religion. Religion is lies, bullshit, opiate of the masses, etc (well, so is a lot of music)....but to me, real music is the opposite of that.
well, music as a whole, seems to admit its own subjectivity ("there's no accounting for taste."), but religion, as a whole, claims objective truth. but if the core of religion's truth is the subjective mystical experience, then the problems in religion arise by trying to enforce an unenforceable reality.

plus, it's usually bullshit.

Ah, hippies...y'all should come on out to Colorado, they rule this state...3 sold out nights of The String Cheese Incident, one of the most horrid bands of all time from the name on down, at Red Rocks this week. Good news being that they're farewell shows. But all those goddamn Grateful Dead surviving members seem to play here about 30 times a year, as do the legions of wannabes who can't play guitar for shit yet solo for 20 minutes a song...

I always liked what Eric Avery (Jane's Addiction bassist) said when a friend asked if he thought of turning to religion to help him kick heroin; basically said art was his religion, the churches were everywhere and there was no Bible to adhere to. Sounds like a cool religion to me.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."