winner of the "hang it up, already" award (VH)

VAN HALEN has finally found it's new bassist - and it looks like the rock gods are keeping the band a family affair.

TMZ is first to confirm that Van Halen has hired 15-year-old Wolfgang Van Halen - the son of guitarist Eddie Van Halen and estranged wife Valerie Bertinelli, and nephew of drummer Alex Van Halen - as the new bassist for the band.

Wolfgang replaces longtime bassist Michael Anthony, who left the band earlier this year. Eddie Van Halen's spokesperson Janie Liszewski tells TMZ that Wolfgang, known as "Wolfie", has already joined his dad and uncle for rehearsals in the studio for a 2007 summer tour. Wolfie played dates with his father during the band's 2004 tour, and the song '316' on 1991's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, was named for Wolfie's birth date that same year.

The band is still without a lead singer, despite rumors that DAVID LEE ROTH might rejoin.
this is just plain retarded. how in the hell do you replace those vocals that were part of the trademark VH sound? ridiculous. if EVH is so much of a cock to drive away one of the most easy-going guys AND founding member of the band, what kind of egomania possesses him to think that anyone is going to give a fuck? i have no words for how silly this is. i love some of those first six albums so much, it pains me to think this is where they end up.

they died in 1985 for me.
Last edited by TC on 24/01/07, 16:43:57, edited 1 time in total.

BW&BK wrote:EDDIE VAN HALEN: "The Ball Is In DAVID LEE ROTH's Court"
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 at 15:33:03

The following is a quote from VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen, lifted from a new Guitar World article and posted in the Forums at the Diamond DAVID LEE ROTH fan site:

"I'm telling Dave. 'Dude get your ass up here and sing, witch! Come On!'" says Van Halen. "As it stands right now, the ball is in Dave's court. Whether he wants to rise to the occasion is entirely up to him, but we're ready to go."

"Wolfgang breathes life into what we're doing," says Ed. "He brings youthfullness to something that's inherently youthful. He's only been playing bass for 3 months, but it's spooky. He's locked tight and puts an incredible spin on our dookie. The kidis kicking my ass! He's spanking me now, eve though I never spanked him. To have my son follow in my footsteps on his own, without me pushing him into it, is the greatest feeling in the world."

The Forums poster states: "No b.s... Ed DOES have Wolfie playing bass in Van Halen, and he IS publicly offering David Lee Roth the job...."

Stay tuned for updates on this situation.
ugh.

TC wrote:He's only been playing bass for 3 months, but it's spooky. He's locked tight and puts an incredible spin on our dookie.
:roll:
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Just fucking stop already.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

BW&BK wrote:He's only been playing bass for 3 months,
Real sure he's ready for a rock and roll tour there. Nice going dad!

Blabbermouth wrote:Photographer: VAN HALEN With WOLFGANG Sounds 'Untouchable'
Dec. 15, 2006

Legendary rock photographer Ross Halfin has updated the "Diary" section of his web site with the following message (dated December 13, 2006):

"Head off to meet up with Edward Van Halen. It is hot today and I'm in black which doesn't help my thumping head. I feel like I'm being cooked in the sun — tortured...

"Edward is in a great mood, he's easy to work with. And I'm not saying who or what I shot, but I will tell you Edward played a couple of CDs which I thought were from 1978 (it was from two days ago) of VAN HALEN rehearsing with [Eddie' son] Wolfgang Van Halen on bass. It was jaw-droppingly amazing. They played 'On Fire', 'I'm The One', 'Atomic Punk'. I'm not listing the rest, but I will tell you the band sounded untouchable. On 'Jamie's Crying' they did a long bass-lead jam on the intro — the band rocked. I don't like that word (too American) but the band rock — really rock. It was as exciting as the first time I saw them. They will come back and destroy the world. One of the tightest, freshest sounding groups ever. I want to go and play the first album as soon as I get home. Had a blast listening to them, it made me remember why I liked music in the first place. Having Edward's son on bass has rejuvenated them.

"They were rehearsing later that afternoon. I was invited — I wish I was staying...Got to LAX and got moved to the front of the plane. I was going to shoot the night sky, but couldn't get motivated. I'm still feeling ill — I should have stayed and watched VAN HALEN."
we shall see. at this point, the whole thing is just so intriguing to watch - it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

well, here we go:
Billboard.com wrote:Exclusive: Van Halen Reuniting With Roth For Tour
January 24, 2007, 4:20 PM ET
Ray Waddell, Nashville

Sources tell Billboard.com a contract could be signed as soon as today for Live Nation to produce a 40-date amphitheatre tour by Van Halen this summer, with original frontman David Lee Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years.

As previously reported, guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features drummer Alex Van Halen.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with Eddie and Alex Van Halen after the tour's completion ("I don't get along with Eddie anymore, and that's all there is to it," he told Billboard.com in August 2005), although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Hagar recently told Billboard.com he was concerned Eddie Van Halen was asking too much of his son to have him join the band and promptly perform in front of thousands of people every night.

"That's a lot of pressure for Wolfie. Just 'cause he's Eddie's son doesn't mean he can go out and play in arenas and perform and entertain an audience for two hours," he said. "I would love to see Eddie and Alex get behind Wolfie, with a kid of his age singing, and produce the record for him and help him launch a career. I'd rather see it go that way than come out and say 'Wolfie's the bass player in Van Halen and maybe singing, too.' Van Halen's got way too much history to have that put on him."
damn, sammy sounds downright sage.

Geez, just call in the Extreme guy, that was everybody's favorite lineup anyway... :roll:

I would think their harmonies would be lacking without Anthony around, but again, they should all just fucking stop anyway.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Shall we take bets on how long the Roth/Halen tour lasts before they get fed up with him again? I give it 6 dates.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Yeah, when they tried this way back when, even cutting a song I believe was titled "Me Wise Mojo" or something, they never even played a gig before booting the dude.

I actually used to know the president of the Van Halen fan club, a guy from Omaha believe it or not; if I was still in touch I could probably get the inside scoop. Then again, I'd probably have to care a lot more than I do.

Here it comes:
Van Halen, Roth to announce tour next week
By Ray Waddell Tue Aug 7, 5:39 AM ET
NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Van Halen will announce a 50-date American reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth during a news conference in Hollywood next week, sources said.

The arena trek will begin in early October.

Roth, who split from the rock group in the mid-1980s in hopes of solo stardom, will reunite with co-founders Eddie Van Halen on guitar and brother Alex Van Halen on drums. Eddie's teenage son Wolfgang will sub for Michael Anthony on bass.

A proposed summer amphitheater tour by the group never got off the ground, with Eddie Van Halen entering a rehabilitation facility for undisclosed reasons in March.

In the months since, the guitarist has been seen publicly looking healthy and fit.

Van Halen last toured in 2004, with Roth's replacement, vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore.

Reuters/Billboard
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Question: Can Roth even sing anymore?

VAN HALEN: First Reunion Tour Dates Announced - Aug. 13, 2007
VAN HALEN has announced the details of their much-anticipated reunion tour with David Lee Roth today at a Los Angeles press conference. The arena tour kicks off September 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina, and continues through December 11 in Calgary, Alberta. Tickets go on sale this Saturday. The first confirmed dates are as follows:

Sep. 27 - Charlotte, N.C. @ Bobcats Arena
Sep. 29 - Greensboro, N.C. @ Coliseum
Oct. 01 - Philadelphia @ Wachovia Center
Oct. 07 - Toronto @ Air Canada Centre
Oct. 10 - Cleveland @ Quicken Loans Arena
Oct. 14 - Indianapolis @ Conseco Fieldhouse
Oct. 16 - Chicago @ Allstate Arena
Oct. 18 - Chicago @ United Center
Oct. 22 - Auburn Hills, Mich. @ Palace of Auburn Hills
Oct. 24 - Minneapolis @ Target Center
Oct. 26 - Kansas City, Mo. @ Sprint Center
Oct. 28 - St. Louis @ Scottrade Center
Oct. 30 - Boston @ TD Banknorth Garden
Nov. 03 - East Rutherford, N.J. @ Continental Airline Arena
Nov. 13 - New York @ Madison Square Garden
Nov. 20 - Los Angeles @ Staples Center
Nov. 23 - Glendale, Ariz. @ Jobing.com Arena
Nov. 25 - San Diego @ Cox Arena
Nov. 27 - Sacramento, Calif. @ Arco Arena
Nov. 29 - San Jose, Calif. @ HP Pavilion
Dec. 01 - Portland, Ore. @ Rose Garden
Dec. 03 - Seattle @ Key Arena
Dec. 05 - Vancouver @ GM Place
Dec. 09 - Edmonton, Alberta @ Rexall Palace
Dec. 11 - Calgary, Alberta @ Pengrowth Saddledome

The trek will feature founding VAN HALEN members David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen, with Eddie's son Wolfgang on bass.

VAN HALEN last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore.

Wolfgang Van Halen, the projected replacement for VH bassist Michael Anthony, told People magazine in April 2007 that he wasn't disappointed there wasn’t' going to be a VAN HALEN tour this summer following his father's decision to check himself into rehab. "My dad's taking care of himself," he said. "I also think I'm too young for the experience, because I know there are a lot of bad things out there."

Eddie Van Halen issued a statement addressed to fans in early March announcing that he was seeking treatment because "at the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best.

"That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110 percent that I feel I owe you and want to give you," the statement said.

Back in January, Eddie Van Halen told Rolling Stone magazine about Wolfgang, "Wait until you hear this kid play. I pick him up from school every day and we jam. We've got a shredding bass player now that's laying down the law for Alex [Van Halen, drums], so I get to weave in and out."

VAN HALEN was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March
here we go. you're saying they die in chicago, i'll go ahead and say they don't make it west of the mississippi, to KC. whoever's closer wins something.

VAN HALEN: Video Footage, Photos, Excerpts From Press Conference Available - Aug. 13, 2007
VAN HALEN announced the details of its reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth at press conference earlier today in Los Angeles. The arena tour kicks off September 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina, and continues through December 11 in Calgary, Alberta. Tickets go on sale this Saturday. The tour would be the first in 22 years to feature Roth behind the mic, with guitarist Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang replacing founding member Michael Anthony on bass.

Excerpts from VAN HALEN reunion tour press conference:

On how the band is getting along:

Eddie Van Halen: "We're getting along better than we ever have before."

On why founding bassist Michael Anthony is not part of the reunion:

David Lee Roth: "Michael Anthony is part of this band's history. This band has many alumni. I am one of them."

On the setlist for the upcoming tour:

David Lee Roth: "We decided to do everything you'd expect, but make it high speed, low drag. Everything that got me fired from radio."

On the decision earlier in the year to postpone the so Eddie could head to rehab:

Eddie Van Halen: "None of us wanted to give you less than our best. We are at our best."

David Lee Roth: "This is not like THE POLICE. The idea is that this will go on and on and on. This is like a brotherhood like it never was before."

According to MTV.com, the bandmembers noted that this trek is not a "reunion tour" as such, but instead "a new band." The bandmembers also said they had been rehearsing for four months before announcing the tour, and said the reunion will be permanent — not a one-shot deal.

The bandmembers said the 25-song setlist for the tour was chosen by Wolfgang. They also said that they're planning to release a new album in the not-too-distant future but provided no details about when it will be recorded or released.

David Lee Roth: "This is not like THE POLICE. The idea is that this will go on and on and on. This is like a brotherhood like it never was before."
*Snort*

TC wrote:here we go. you're saying they die in chicago, i'll go ahead and say they don't make it west of the mississippi, to KC. whoever's closer wins something.
Whomever wins gets to be the next lead singer for the group. I'll start practicing. :)
Just cut them up like regular chickens

can't help but be reminded of the ever-quotable Johnny Rotten on the Sex Pistol's reunion tour a few years back: "We've come back together for a very special reason--your money."

Is this like an office pool? I bet they play St. Louis to end it, but skip Toronto on the way, citing the need to rest.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?