Well I'm not a massive fan of theirs, but I'll get the label to send me a promo anyway to review. (My editor's probably wondering if I'm still working for him — haven't filed a review in close to two months.)
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

The latest update--March 6 release, eh?
Axl Gives Chinese Democracy Tentative Release Date
Cancels four tour dates

Axl Rose is trying to stir up interest in his long-irrelevant band again, and he's doing so with a couple of announcements. Let's start with the typical: Guns N' Roses have canceled their four January tour dates (three in California and one in Nevada), and Axl is blaming the band's management for the poor handling of Chinese Democracy's alleged release.

More unexpected is Axl's official announcement that Chinese Democracy is tentatively scheduled for a March 6 release-- and the fact that he did so in an articulate (!) letter on the band's website. Newsflash: Axl Rose can write a sincere letter of apology to his fans. We're not ruling out the possibility that he employs a letter writer for these kinds of things, but we must say that we're impressed nonetheless. Not that we're any more interested in Chinese Democracy now than we were before.
Quoth Achmel:

An open letter to our fans:

Guns N' Roses regrets to announce that the following concert tour dates have been canceled:

January 10: Sacramento
January 11: Bakersfield
January 13: Reno
January 16: San Diego

Because of the scheduling of these particular shows, valuable time needed by the band and record company for the proper setup and release of the album Chinese Democracy would have been lost. Rather than delay the album yet again, all involved have decided to remove these shows from GN'R's schedule. We hope our fans understand and we apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. Tickets may be refunded at point of purchase.

To say the making of this album has been an unbearably long and incomprehensible journey would be an understatement. Overcoming the endless and seemingly insane amount of obstacles faced by all involved, notwithstanding the emotional challenges endured by everyone-- the fans, the band, our road crew and business team-- has at many times seemed like a bad dream in which one wakes up only to find that they are still in the nightmare. Unfortunately, this time it has been played out for over a decade in real life.

The true, ongoing, behind-the-scenes triumphs and casualties are much more complicated than any negative speculation that the media or otherwise has managed to hit upon. For much of the time, various legal issues have arisen, demanding that the best way to deal with these things publicly, quite frankly, was to keep our mouths shut in an attempt to ensure the best outcome-- especially one that wouldn't jeopardize the band or the album. It's easy for people to point out how others have handled similar situations or how they would have dealt with these issues themselves if they encountered them in their own lives. But again, without full knowledge of the various dynamics and circumstances involved, these types of comments or commentary are just uninformed, disassociated, generally useless-- and often hindering-- speculation.

When I agreed to do our recent North American tour, I did it with the understanding that my manager, Merck Mercuriadis, and I were in full agreement regarding our strategy and touring plans and, most important, that any and all things needed to release the album by Dec. 26 at the latest were in place. Unfortunately, it turned out that this was not the case, and I regret to say that the album will not be released by the end of the year.

ny things went extremely well and were very exciting, there were, in our opinion, unnecessary and avoidable complications on our tour having to do with the tour routing, scheduling and album and video plans that wreaked havoc on all involved. This was compounded by an overall sense of a lack of respect by management for the band and crew and each individual's particular expertise that has resulted, unfortunately, in the end of both Guns' and my managerial involvement with Merck Mercuriadis.

In regard to a release date for the album itself, certain minor-- and I do mean minor-- additions, as well as contract negotiations, need to be completed. Barring any unforeseen complications, these things have now been adequately scheduled. The band and I, along with our record company, feel that this record deserves the proper setup and promotion, not the '13 Tuesdays left' and 'It may just appear in your record store' approach offered by management. We believe this strategy may have been used as a tool by management to sell this latest tour to the various promoters, and if this was the case, this was obviously unfair to them. The stress of dealing with this situation has been considerable for everyone, including the band, but more important, in our opinion, it was something utterly insane to do to our fans. You have our apologies, and please know we have been laboring over this with management for the entire North American tour.

It takes approximately eight weeks for an album to hit the shelves once it has been turned in to the record company. For whatever reasons, it appears that it may have been mistakenly inferred by management that this time period could be condensed to three weeks. With that being said, this is not a promise, a lie or a guarantee, but we do wish to announce a tentative release date of March 6. This is the first time we have done this publicly for this album. Others have made up all the other dates for their own reasons. We would like to assure the fans that everything in our power will be done to meet this date. Once it is finalized and official, you will be notified. If we are delayed for unseen reasons, you also will be notified as soon as possible in regard to a new date, and the album will be released as shortly thereafter as is possible. We thank you for your patience.

In the end, it's just an album, but it's one that I, the band, our record company and all involved believe and feel is a true Guns N' Roses album. Ultimately the public will decide, and regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration. We do hope you can hold on just a bit longer, and if not, please take a break and we'll be more than glad-- if you so choose-- to see you again later.

Once again, we offer our sincere apologies and our deepest thanks. Guns N' Roses also would like to thank all the fans who attended the 70 concerts in 21 countries for their support in 2006. All the best to each and every one of you over this holiday season, thank you and God bless.

Sincerely,

Axl Rose
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Suuuuure, Axl. How many times has he said in the past decade that it's "definitely" coming out "this year"?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Ha, this topic will still be going once we're all long gone and our kids are here posting.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Re: Chinese Democracy--this fall!

CNN wrote:Dr Pepper Will Give Everyone* in America a Free Soda If Axl Rose Releases New Guns N' Roses Album, Chinese Democracy, In 2008
*Guitarists Slash and Buckethead Will Not Be Eligible For Free Soda
March 26, 2008: 09:00 AM EST

PLANO, Texas, March 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Tired of a world in which Americans idolize wannabe singers and musicals about high schoolers pass as rock 'n roll music, Dr Pepper is encouraging (ok, begging) Axl Rose to finally release his 17-year-in-the-making belabored masterpiece, Chinese Democracy, in 2008.

In an unprecedented show of solidarity with Axl, everyone in America, except estranged GNR guitarists Slash and Buckethead, will receive a free can of Dr Pepper if the album ships some time -- anytime! -- in 2008. Dr Pepper supports Axl, and fully understands that sometimes you have to make it through the jungle before you get it right.

"It took a little patience to perfect Dr Pepper's special mix of 23 ingredients, which our fans have come to know and love," said Jaxie Alt, director of marketing for Dr Pepper. "So we completely understand and empathize with Axl's quest for perfection -- for something more than the average album. We know once it's released, people will refer to it as "Dr Pepper for the ears" because it will be such a refreshing blend of rich, bold sounds -- an instant classic."

Show your support for Axl and get on the nightrain of encouragement at http://www.chinesedemocracywhen.blogspot.com
that's some funny shit right there.

We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album "Chinese Democracy," as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him.

Axl Rose
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

The sound of Chinese Democracy has often reported to be industrial rock music similar to Nine Inch Nails and Ministry, a style that Rose had long been a fan of. But the tracks that have surfaced online show a variety of sounds, with tinges of everything from Ministry to Queen to classic Guns N' Roses.

According to sources at Geffen (Rose's music label) a version of "Chinese Democracy" has been finished and delivered to the label. But there are still outstanding issues between the singer and the label, not the least of which is a recording cost for the project which (depending on who you believe), has reached between $11 and $15 million. Another stickler is the digital rights for the tracks, along with some proposed "bonus" tracks Geffen would like to release digitally.
other great amusement in the full article.

With how much has been spent recording this album, everyone who buys it better expect to pay about $25 a copy. Otherwise I don't see how they'll ever make their money back. Maybe if they offer a bouns with each copy sold where Axl will come around to your house and you can kick him square in the nuts once.

darkness wrote:With how much has been spent recording this album, everyone who buys it better expect to pay about $25 a copy. Otherwise I don't see how they'll ever make their money back. Maybe if they offer a bouns with each copy sold where Axl will come around to your house and you can kick him square in the nuts once.
I've long been of the opinion that with the number of tracks he's probably written and recorded, they should release a 4 disc box set at $100, I'll bet it would sell. Even if they put it out at $20, I'll bet they'll recoup their money. GnR has an inexplicable hold over many rawk lovers out there.

Your latest tease, Gunners!

From pitchforkmedia.com:
Guns N' Roses to Debut Democracy Track in Rock Band

If an anonymous (albeit well-connected) source quoted in The New York Times is to be believed, our first official taste of Guns N' Roses' epic footdrag Chinese Democracy may come complete with a mic, a couple plastic guitars, and a trapset.

It seems "Shackler's Revenge", an apparent Democracy cut that wasn't among those that leaked a little while back, will come scrolling down the screen this in September as part of the soundtrack to the video game/productivity leech Rock Band 2.

As the Times suggests, this is a damn fine omen for an actual fall release of the long-labored-over Chinese Democracy and all the carbonated spoils that accompany it.

According to an unconfirmed tracklist that leaked last week, Rock Band 2 might also contain songs from Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nirvana, Modest Mouse, the Clash, the Ramones, R.E.M., Nine Inch Nails, and many more.

Considering Walmart has an annoying policy of only offereing censored "clean" music, this could be interesting.
Guns N' Roses in talks for exclusive album release
Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:46am EDT

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The June leak of nine allegedly "mastered, finished" tracks from Guns N' Roses' long-delayed "Chinese Democracy" spurred a renewed round of speculation about whether the Axl Rose-led band will finally release the 14-years-in-the-making album.

But some concrete signs are finally emerging that the album's release could be imminent. That's because, according to sources, negotiations are under way for "Chinese Democracy" to come out as an exclusive at one of the big-box retailers -- either Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

Negotiations are also ongoing for conventional record company distribution, another source said.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums exclusively through retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart, much to the chagrin of other merchants.

It's unclear who initiated the Guns N' Roses exclusive negotiations -- Front Line or Interscope, the band's label.

Representatives at Front Line and Interscope with knowledge of the situation couldn't be reached for comment. A Wal-Mart representative said the chain couldn't confirm this fall's exclusive album offerings. Best Buy representatives couldn't be reached for comment.

Reuters/Billboard

Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy Coming to a Best Buy Near You Sometime This Year, Apparently

Photo by George Chin

Clear a little room in the RAWK section of your record shelf: According to Billboard.com, Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy will indeed be released before the year's up. And it's an exclusive deal with blue-and-yellow store Best Buy. Details on the release-- okay okay, EVERY LITTLE THING ABOUT IT, including more on this lamewad Best Buy business-- will presumably follow soon.

But Chinese Democracy, an album three Bush terms and a decent chunk of a bailout check in the making, will actually be a thing you can buy in your lifetime. I know, right? It feels weird just to type.

In other GN'R news, lead single "Shackler's Revenge" is in the recently released Rock Band 2, and that Skwerl guy's only gonna be shopping at Circuit City from now on.
so sayeth pitchforkmedia.com