Mastadon Leviathan

Hmmm...this may be why I don't buy metal anymore.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Based on a couple listens halfway through...I dunno, it seems so generic...the kind of "holler through a filter" vocals, lots of proggy but not necessarily cool rhythm changes, riffs just roll along but never grab you...least that's my take. I didn't think the guitar tone was worth much either. The guys can all play, sure, but nothing's really standing out.

I have liked some of what I've heard from the new High On Fire, might be picking that up...really, I'm up for some good ball-crushing metal, but I have no one here in Denver to play stuff for me to sample and you guys are so encyclopedic in your collections that I don't know where to start to find some stuff that I might dig.

I asked a while back but never got an answer--is there any particular Venom album you'd recommend?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

re: mastodon - i actually am one of the few that liked their earlier stuff much better. i tend to agree with you on the new album

re: venom - no, not really. venom is venom.

you should buy Thesyre and the new Motörhead for some "ball-crushing" metal in addition to the High on Fire.

TC wrote:re: mastodon - i actually am one of the few that liked their earlier stuff much better. i tend to agree with you on the new album

re: venom - no, not really. venom is venom.

you should buy Thesyre and the new Motörhead for some "ball-crushing" metal in addition to the High on Fire.
Well, I haven't lost my balls completely, then :mrgreen:

So is your comment on Venom a good thing or a bad thing? I'm sure you first heard 'em 20 years ago or more, so they're old hat, but is everything pretty fucking cool or is everything dated and mediocre?

Motorhead crushes balls nowadays? heh. I do have some old Motorhead, which I like for camp value as much as anything else. Never heard Thesyre, I will check them out.

no, i actually avoided venom for a very long time (other than 'The Ultmate Revenge' video) up until about two years ago when i bought a 3-disc 'Greatest Hits' thingy. i don't listen to it too frequently, but i felt like i had to have some venom. and it has its place, no question.

and yes, the new Motörhead is fucking great.

more newer stuff that's great - Burnt By The Sun's The Perfect Is The Enemy Of The Good.

and Thesyre is and has been my favorite band for at least a couple years now, with the new material being even stronger.

You make it sound like required listening more than enjoyable listening, which is hardly what I'd call a ringing endorsement, heh. Well I'll take a look for Burnt and Thesyre, I'm off to deposit my paycheck and swing by Cheapos, which actually has a good metal section. Thanks!

Alexhead wrote:Based on a couple listens halfway through...I dunno, it seems so generic...the kind of "holler through a filter" vocals, lots of proggy but not necessarily cool rhythm changes, riffs just roll along but never grab you...least that's my take. I didn't think the guitar tone was worth much either. The guys can all play, sure, but nothing's really standing out.
Last edited by O-dot on 19/06/05, 14:41:09, edited 1 time in total.

Bang! - Shooting Star
DJ Paul Elstak - Promised Land
Interactive - Forever Young
Force & Styles - Paradise and Dreams
Hixxy - Steam Train
Rotterdam Termination Source - Poing
DJ Rankin - Crazy Frog remix

:roflmao:

Kyuss - Live in London, 1995
Aube - Cardiac Strain
Godspeed You Black Emporer! - Live in Cleveland, 1999
Satyricon - Volcano
Sun Ra - Lanquidity
Magdalena Kozena - Lamento
Set Fire to Flames - Sings Reign Rebuilder
Nurse With Wound - She And Me Fall Together In Free Death

...not forgetting Makanak, Vector Trio and Harkonin of course :mrgreen:

Disciple - Back Again
Project 86 - Songs To Burn Your Bridges By
Harkonin - Sermons Of Anguish
Sonic Mayhem - Quake II (again)
Finch - What It Is To Burn
Machinae Supremacy - Dues Ex Machinae
Hell Is For Heroes - Neon Handshake

E: In reflection, I'm going soft. :roll:
Last edited by Draesk on 11/07/05, 05:11:12, edited 1 time in total.

klimov wrote: Hixxy - Steam Train
Heh, first glance I thought you said Styxx :mrgreen:

Xiu Xiu--La Foret--the gay experimental synth-pop version of NWA, if that makes any sense. Not as accessible as the last one but it grows on you. Sometimes quite scary.

Sufjan Stevens--Illinois--second in a (supposed) series of 50 albums, one for each state. Overwraught instrumentation is starting to fuse with songwriting much better, and there's a heartbreakingly creepy tune about John Wayne Gacy about 4 tracks in.

I have discovered, somehow, as if by magic, that my sleepy suburb has a great record store, one with all the latest weird indie crap I like AND a pretty extensive looking metal department. Now all I need is some extra money and I can go enjoy it :)

Eh, I doubt it'll happen...especially considering he put out an acoustic album in between Michigan and Illinois--can't complete a project like that if you're going to do side projects between!

Kind of funny--in referencing various Illinois lore on the cover, he (rather stupidly) put Superman on it without asking DC for permission. They allowed the first pressing to go on sale (making my copy a bit of a collector's item), but you can't buy it now until they rework the cover and reissue it next month.

TC wrote:50 albums?? wtf? i can't think of any artist that has 50 albums...
I own 33 Miles Davis albums and there's still a whole load listed in the pamphlets I don't own.

Also, didn't Pearl Jam release a shitload of live albums? (Peter Gabriel has done the same)