Re: Listening to lately

yeah, sorry about that. we've taken some extreme measures to eliminate the spam, and i have completely forgotten to look at the moderator control panel lately. we will adjust so you are in the "approved" group.

Did I mention that I'm listening to a lot of Karnivool? I'm getting more and more into these guys, they're just totally phenomenal musicians. The songs Themata and Roquefort are, so far, the answer I'd give to the question "What is your favourite song?" (I know, they're just that good). I can't shake the feeling that some might class the sound as "commercial/mainstream" (whatever that truly means); I guess it's the purely melodic vocals that do it, but there isn't a hint of nasally emo twinge in there, he's a fantastic singer himself. I guess any reservations I subconsciously harbour about these guys are buried by the sheer quality of their musical composition.

Wait wait WAIT, Whitesnake is still recording?

I will bore anyone reading it with my non-metal selections...listening to the new Kurt Vile, Smoke Ring For My Halo, which is pretty nice. Tried the hip electronic James Blake album, not my style at all. Yuck=warmed over Superchunk, listenable but equally forgettable. Smith Westerns=warmed over other 90s bands, listenable but equally forgettable. New TV On The Radio sounds fine but like most bands they're 4 or 5 albums in and running out of interesting things to do/say. That new PJ Harvey is kind of a smack in the face in that it's very strange, not at all what I was expecting and of course at this point that should be the expected from the divine Ms. Harvey. That said, not sure it's going to grab me from a melodic standpoint the way her older stuff did, my interest has been waning since "Uh Huh Her." But I'll listen some more.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

New TV On The Radio sounds fine but like most bands they're 4 or 5 albums in and running out of interesting things to do/say.
yep.
That new PJ Harvey is kind of a smack in the face in that it's very strange, not at all what I was expecting and of course at this point that should be the expected from the divine Ms. Harvey. That said, not sure it's going to grab me from a melodic standpoint the way her older stuff did, my interest has been waning since "Uh Huh Her." But I'll listen some more.
yep.

also, i like reading your posts in this thread. you're the only guy i know that consistently talks about bands i've never heard of, and i like that. one day i'll take a list of your bands and find some. :)

Doctor Midnight & The Mercy Cult - I Declare: Treason.

I never really got into Turbonegro much but I must say that Hanks new band sounds pretty good so far. A more varied sound than Turbonegro, with influences coming from all over the place. Worth a download, for sure.

TC wrote:
New TV On The Radio sounds fine but like most bands they're 4 or 5 albums in and running out of interesting things to do/say.
yep.
That new PJ Harvey is kind of a smack in the face in that it's very strange, not at all what I was expecting and of course at this point that should be the expected from the divine Ms. Harvey. That said, not sure it's going to grab me from a melodic standpoint the way her older stuff did, my interest has been waning since "Uh Huh Her." But I'll listen some more.
yep.

also, i like reading your posts in this thread. you're the only guy i know that consistently talks about bands i've never heard of, and i like that. one day i'll take a list of your bands and find some. :)
Well likewise, you've certainly turned me on to some new stuff over the years and hope I can repay the favor at some point.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Wait wait WAIT, Whitesnake is still recording?
Yeah, in the sense that Megadeth is still recording.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Alexhead wrote:and please God let's not see any current photos of Tawny.
This. I saw a mug shot of her from the mid 2000's and she was already starting to look well worn. Too many marriages will do that to you. And failed rehabs. Wasn't she on that Dr. Drew show where they exploit druged out clebs without actually helping them?
Just cut them up like regular chickens

For work, I've got new stuff by Mastodon (meh), Opeth (different, but admirable) and Machine Head (surprisingly good). I also checked out the new Anthrax last month, and me no likey.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

yeah he is and it sounds like old anthrax but a bit more "hook-y". if you like anthrax, not sure what's not to like.

mastodon = meh? can't agree there. i think it's fucking great. can't wait to see shit like spectrelight next month.

but my favorite new thing i'm listening to.... i can't talk about yet. but holy shit you all are going to have your brains melted by it very soon.

The new Anthrax plays like an audition CD for the Mayhem Festival.

"Spectrelight" is one of the better ones, but this is not the Mastodon I was introduced to eight years ago by a friend who sent me some of their stuff. ;)
but my favorite new thing i'm listening to.... i can't talk about yet. but holy shit you all are going to have your brains melted by it very soon.
Is it a CD by a reunited Celtic Frost?