Re: Listening to lately

I have been a more or less faithful listener of BRMC's since their first album and seeing them at a couple good small club shows back around 2000, they have meandered between 80s goth and general Americana as of late and try to split the difference evenly here, more or less to decent effect. They'll never be huge but I dig them. That first Band of Horses is indeed a great album, follow up has some good stuff on it too. I hear the third is kind of a pile.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I was all ready to do my usual download amazon.com frenzy at the end of 2010 but came to discover I'd collected more or less all the alt rock stuff of note that had come out, so I have most of them in an iPod playlist that I'll listen to for a month or so. New Deerhunter is very good, as expected. Finally giving Spoon a chance and they're not bad. It's older, but Team Sleep continues to be a favorite.

Also bought the Inception and Tron: Legacy soundtracks on Friday, kids are loving both.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I haven't listened to shit in 2011, had to replace our furnace and AC so all funtime money went out the window. I will have much to catch up on once I get the cash, although I've found that a patient alt rock fan can usually find what he's looking for at the public library if he's willing to wait 6 months or so.

best of 2011 that i've heard so far:

Belphegor - Blood Magick Necromance: this is a great album, and i'm not a belphegor fan.
TesseracT - One: had never heard this band before. it's interesting.
Setherial - Treason: Surprisingly good
KEN Mode - Venerable
Feral - Dragged To The Altar
Jesu - Ascension
Lustmord - Songs Of Gods & Demons
KMFDM - WTF
Peste Noire - L’Ordure A L’etat Pur
Demonaz - March Of The Norse
Dissecting Table - Adventitous Affliction

Biggest disappointment so far: Skindred - Union Black. really expected (wanted) more, exploring what they did with shark bites further, not just devolving into another rapcore band. there are good moments but it's not nearly what it could have been.

Worst album of the year so far: The Haunted - whatever the fuck it's called. god this is just an awful piece of shit. such talented people involved in this band (most of them), i don't get how they continue to make such crap after such a good debut and live album.

TC wrote:Worst album of the year so far: The Haunted - whatever the fuck it's called. god this is just an awful piece of shit. such talented people involved in this band (most of them), i don't get how they continue to make such crap after such a good debut and live album.
Could not agree more. It's like the Björler's and Jensen just don't give a shit anymore as they let Dolvings egomanical insanity piss all over a once great band. Their latest efforts have given me headaches. And not the good kind.

Haven't bothered with the new Haunted.

Here's a rundown of what I've heard this year, which isn't much:

Electric WizardBlack Masses: Drugged-out fuzz rock that sounds what you'd want in a new record from the original Sabs.
DeicideTo Hell with God: Not as memorable as the previous two releases, but it's held up well months later.
Amon AmarthSurtur Rising: Boring. Dethklok without the humor.
WhitesnakeForevermore: Coverdale's band is my guilty pleasure, but this one just doesn't go anywhere. Plus, his voice is shot.

Have also downloaded but not really listened to:
Hate EternalPhoenix Amongst The Ashes
GraveyardHisingen Blues
OriginEntity (Kansas! Represent!) :-)

Anyone know whether the new Morbid Angel will be worth it?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Anyone know whether the new Morbid Angel will be worth it?
oh you have to hear it. it's complete trolling of their fans, a giant middle finger to anyone that ever gave a shit about them. it's a train wreck you can't stop watching. just google for reviews, that should tell you something.

the d/l i have is all kicks & vocals so i'll be waiting for the (pre-ordered, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered) vinyl to get here so i can hopefully EQ some sense into it, then i will post full thoughts in the thread we already have for it - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3712

_Marcus_ wrote:
TC wrote:Worst album of the year so far: The Haunted - whatever the fuck it's called. god this is just an awful piece of shit. such talented people involved in this band (most of them), i don't get how they continue to make such crap after such a good debut and live album.
Could not agree more. It's like the Björler's and Jensen just don't give a shit anymore as they let Dolvings egomanical insanity piss all over a once great band. Their latest efforts have given me headaches. And not the good kind.
This is very sad to hear - same with Skindred. I had just come across their newest albums online in a music hunting spree and was going to download them. Guess I wont bother anymore. :-(

KMFDM's last album bored me to tears. What's this new one like in comparison to that?

Also just got the TesseracT album, liking what I've heard so far.

Karnivool's "Themata" & Soilwork's "Sworn To A Great Divide" are getting most of my air-time at the moment though.

re: skindred - yeah, 'nobody' was what made me want to hear more from them. get 'shark bites and dog fights'. probably their best, for me.

re: KMFDM - new album is better than the last one, more toward their older roots. i think.

Finally caught At the Gates live last night. Well worth the backpain I'm suffering today. Tompa at his best with guest appearance from Mikael Stanne on "World of Lies". Also saw System of a Down and they we're just as good as when I saw them last, about six years ago.

they were incredible when they were here. one of the tightest bands i've ever seen. saw them on the MA tour in... 96? then saw the reunion tour a couple of years ago, which is one of the best shows i've ever seen (minus the pandering to latter-day fans once they heard that killswitch engage liked ATG).

Doctor Midnight And The Mercy Cult - I Declare : Treason
this is really a huge letdown. it sounds like latter-day korn mixed with the new filter record. it's a generic, over-produced nu-metal shitfest that just happens to have hank on vocals. it will make you even more upset that he left turbonegro. i was left thinking, "he left them for this?" just plain sucks.