Re: Listening to lately

listening to as of late: Mount Eerie "Wind's Poem". They use the main theme from twin peaks in one of the tracks on this album. I myself am a huge fan of twin peaks and upon the very first listening of this record one can distinctly hear many elements and much of the feeling of that great show and film throughout. I highly recommend.
“Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink.” - Bukowski

I really liked the first Microphones album, is this his "metal" album? I listened to a few samples of that and wasn't initially impressed, but they were just samples.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

i guess a few tracks can get a little chaotic with the amount of noise pilled on top of noise, but i wouldn't necessarily go so far as labeling it microphones "metal". It is quite a departure for them as far as my knowledge.
“Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink.” - Bukowski

New Deftones is pretty solid, the first four tracks comprise a nice tonesy kick in the teeth. Hope the "lost" album comes out soon.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I'm listening to some Halloween related stuff to get me in the mood for this weekend. Started with the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack this morning. Finished with some Samhain and Macabre this afternoon. I think I'll put on Macabre really loud while handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters on Sunday. :twisted:

It's old but I've been listening to Team Sleep this week, there are some keeper tracks on there fo sho. Also got the new Sufjan Stevens, Les Savvy Fav, Wavves, Deerhunter, No Age...all the stuff you guys like. :metal:

The Crown - Doomsday King
Exactly what was the point of this release? To sound just like every other band that's released an album the last five years, only with a below average singer and boring riffs? Ok'ish but nothing more. To call this The Crown is to make a mockery of the bands amazing back catalogue.

The Absence - Enemy Unbound
And here we have a band who knows how to the Crown-thing proper. Riders of the plague was one of my fave albums of 2007 and this is almost as good.

Mixed Eva Cassidy
An amazing talen for sure. Her version of Simon & Garfunkels Kathys Song is (well, was I guess is the right word) amazing.

_Marcus_ wrote:The Crown - Doomsday King
Exactly what was the point of this release? To sound just like every other band that's released an album the last five years, only with a below average singer and boring riffs? Ok'ish but nothing more. To call this The Crown is to make a mockery of the bands amazing back catalogue.
exactly my thought on this album, minus the "Ok'ish".

_Marcus_ wrote:The Who - Who's Next.

Baba O'Riley has to be the greatest opener in the history of ever.
hah, my daughter was just listening to that for the first time on the radio this morning, she looked at me a little funny when I tried to explain to her how badass a song it was, but she rocked out to it eventually.

Who's Next actually is about 40% filler (I'm Going MOBILE! Beep Beep, whooo!), but the other 60% is all stone cold classics, so it's about as consistent as any Who album but with a few more truly great songs.

Yeah, it's got those three classic tracks...Bargain is OK but nothing special, Getting In Tune, My Wife...there's some filler there. Hey, this takes me back to high school when friends and I would have passionate bong-fuelled arguments over the classic rock we were just discovering :metal: This album's a sentimental favorite of mine since my Dad bought me a copy at a truck stop right as we were about to head into the mountains for a few hours of driving and listened to the whole thing very loud while coasting through the Rockies, that's a good way to discover a band :ay: