Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out
Goatwhore - Constricting Rage Of The Merciless
The Haunted - Exit Wounds
Origin - Omnipresent
Noneuclid - Metatheosis
Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain
At the Gates - At War With Reality
Dark Fortress - Venereal Dawn
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Re: Top 10 of 2014

At the Gates - At War with Reality
The Haunted - Exit Wounds
Opeth - Pale Communion
Anathema - Weather Systems
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral
Black Crown Initiate – The Wreckage of Stars
Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun

Top 8 for me... Struggled to find more albums this year that I actually sat down and listened to. Even so, I think it's been an absolutely splendid year for metal.

TC wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:Ah damn, forgot to give honorary mentions to the Bruce Soord and Jonas Renkse project titled Wisdom of Crowds.
i have not heard this. good?
It's definately interesting. Renkses voice fits well with the progressive sounds from Soord. Frozen North is probably my favorite song of the year. The rest of the album is not as strong but like I said, interesting.

After only a couple of listens, I feel pretty confident that the new Bloodbath rests somewhere between The Haunted and Origin on my list.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

The new Mastodon is strong, too. Take note, Lars: This is how you sell out without pissing off your fanbase.

mastodon's initial fanbase is very well pissed off. they don't "get" prog rock and want old DBC mastodon. personally, i get it and like all incarnations. find them to be interesting, innovative, and skillful as well as full of emotion and feeling.

I wasn't aware the fans were out marching around with pitchforks and torches. It's a commercial sound, but it still retains all the prime Mastodon ingredients.

O-dot wrote:I wasn't aware the fans were out marching around with pitchforks and torches. It's a commercial sound, but it still retains all the prime Mastodon ingredients.
very much so. lost that core of fans, gained zillions others.

When and how did Mastodon become mainstream? I've never followed them closely, and I only have one of their albums (Leviathan). I haven't heard them on the radio at all. I saw them with Clutch at Red Rocks last night, and there were plenty of Mastodon fans there, and quite a variety. There was a clean-cut preppy-looking dude down in front of us with a Clutch shirt on (hmm, ok...) and his cute little petite blonde girlfriend that apparently agreed to go to the concert with him. She sat there chatting, playing with her phone, taking selfies, making out between bands, etc. Then Mastodon came on and all of a sudden she was bouncing around, singing along, and bobbing her head to the songs... what?