Re: QOTSA (2013)

I'll chime in as well with a :clap:

An extremely good record, the best they've released since Songs for the Deaf.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Geez, I must have been slipped demos for the B-sides or something, I kind of cringe when I hear a Songs for the Deaf comparison (not just yours, O-Dot, have seen that in several reviews). I guess I need to listen to it a few more times but they sound like a band with little left to say to me. Honestly don't think their attack has been the same since Oliveri got himself booted, he was a distinctive piece in their sound.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

It's definitely a different pace from their early stuff, but I love it. This album is a great blend of QOTSA, Desert Sessions, and even Them Crooked Vultures. The last few QOTSA albums really felt like Nick was missing. It was like they did albums of all their other songs, that were less Nick-centric, and the Nick songs were just left out. The balance was off. This time they've got some more of the aggressiveness back, but it's blended in within the songs more. It has lots of light and shade moments, like Led Zeppelin.

Their progression reminds me of Zeppelin a bit. Rated R, s/t, Songs for the Deaf feel like Led Zeppelin 1-4: lots of swagger and testosterone. The next few albums are like Houses of the Holy: they're trying to evolve their sound, add more instruments, but they haven't got the formula yet. Like Clockwork feels like Physical Graffiti or Presence. It's more mature, more nuanced, and they've got their new direction figured out. I appreciate that the band is getting older and not trying to fake some angst or scream like Nick used to.

[youtube][/youtube]

For the first time in 10 years, Nick joins the band for an encore in Portland this week.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

HOLY SHIT TURN YOUR FUCKING PHONE YOU IDIOT, HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS??? way to ruin a great opportunity.

now that that's over, this is really cool. too bad we can't really hear him. nice to see they at least mended this particular post of the fence.