Re: [split] overflow from reviews:The Big Lebowski

VH1 wrote:Coen Brothers 'Don't See' A 'Big Lebowski' Sequel In Their Future
'That movie has more of an enduring fascination for other people than it does for us,' Joel Coen says.

The Dude abides, but will the "Big Lebowski" character ever return to the big screen? That's been an open, if admittedly unrealistic, question for more than a decade, as the cult love for Jeff Bridges' White Russian-swilling hippie Jeffrey Lebowski shows no signs — unlike his royal Dudeness — of slacking off.

Sequel or spin-off talk has percolated through the blogosphere for years, largely due to the continued comments of John Turturro, who delivered an unforgettable turn as pedophile/bowler Jesus Quintana. In June, Turturro told MTV News that he has the sketch for an idea but wants the Coens to write the script, adding he hopes the project can gear up in the next five years.

Now it seems that Joel and Ethan Coen, the minds behind "Lebowski," will in fact reunite with Bridges — not for another go with the Dude, but for a remake of the John Wayne western "True Grit." So where does that leave the possibility of more "Lebowski"? Will Turturro ever get his wish for a Jesus-centric spin-off?

In what might be their first comments on the idea, the Coen brothers revealed to MTV News that they have spoken with Turturro but that it's unlikely a movie will ever happen.

"Oh, he's serious," Ethan said while in Toronto promoting their upcoming flick, "A Serious Man." "He's onboard."

"He's very serious," Joel added.

"Yeah, it could happen," Ethan said, before admitting, "We don't see it."

"That movie has more of an enduring fascination for other people than it does for us," Joel added.

So does that mean that Turturro — who has also worked with the Coens on films like "Barton Fink" and "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" — won't get his wish? Will the "Lebowski"-loving public never see, say, 100 minutes of Jesus on the big screen?

"That could be a good name for the movie: '100 Minutes of Jesus,' " Joel laughed.

holy fucking shit
not NBC wrote:The Big Lebowski 2 Announced: Filming Begins January 2016

Exciting news for Big Lebowski fans around the world as a sequel to the cult classic has just been announced.

Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, directors of the first Lebowski movie, confirmed with NBC News they will both be returning to direct the sequel.

“We’re thrilled to be coming back to film a second part to this classic movie,” Ethan Coen said. “For years we’ve been staying away from doing this project but when we received this new script and the cast fell into place, it was a no-brainer. We just had to do it.”

Gage Luce, who helped write the new script, spoke with CNN to shed light on the plot behind the highly anticipated sequel.

“Now 18 years later, Maude Lewbowski (played by Julianne Moore) informs The Dude (Jeff Bridges) that they conceived a son together and that he has been kidnapped. The Dude teams up with his estranged brother, played by actor Bill Murray, and fellow bowling partner Walter Sobchak (John Goodman) to track down the child’s whereabouts. Just like the first movie, there’s guaranteed to be plenty of beers, bowling, and laughs.”

At his home in Charleston, South Carolina, Murray told reporters he is excited to play a main character in the upcoming Lebowski sequel.

“I always loved the first movie, so when the Coen brothers offered me the role of The Dude’s long lost brother, I couldn’t say no,” Murray said. “I’ve been fortunate enough to read the entire screenplay and I can say without a doubt, old and new fans are going be in for a real treat.” Murray continued, “I’m embarrassed to say that I thought I was working with the Coen brothers when I voiced the Garfield movie back in 2004, but that turned out to be Joel Cohen and not Joel Coen. At least I know I’m working with the right Coen brothers this time.”

Film critic Andrea Engelsberg with the New York Times says this movie should be huge.

“I’m so thrilled this project is finally happening. With a movie by the extremely talented Ethan Coen and Joel Coen you just can’t go wrong. This is definitely at the top of my list for most anticipated upcoming movies.”

Accompanying the trio on their journey to find the missing teen is Jesus Quintana, played by John Turturro, who stole the show in the original movie and for comedic relief, a Christian anti-masturbation group’s mascot named Fappy The Anti-Masturbation Dolphin, played by newcomer 36-year-old Paul Horner from Phoenix, Arizona.

“I’m not familiar with the first movie, honestly if it’s not in the Bible I probably haven’t heard about it,” Horner told Entertainment Tonight. “A couple months ago, Lonnie Childs, president of Stop Masturbation Now, contacted me and asked if I wanted to be in one of those talking pictures on the big screen. I told him yes, just as long as it had no self rape or homogayness in it. He assured me it didn’t, so I said, sure, why not!” Horner continued, “I think this is a perfect platform to help spread awareness about the dangers and consequences of masturbation. This is going to be so much fun! Praise Lonnie Childs! Praise Fappy!”

Gwen Hawkins, a film critic with The Guardian, says a Lebowski sequel is a terrible idea.

“Why ruin a good thing?” Hawkins said. “While the Coen brothers have proven competent in bringing remakes to the screen with material like “True Grit,” their attempt to rejuvenate a cult-classic like The Big Lebowski is more of a gutter-ball than good comedy. The hijinks from the original, the random plots, the bowling, the psychedelic trips, will feel tired and derivative when injected into this upcoming sequel. We’ve come to expect great things from the Coen brothers, but I just can’t see this being one of them.”

Regardless of what the critics have to say, fans are sure to make this one of the must-see movies of the year. The Big Lebowski 2 has a scheduled release date for the Spring of 2017.

regardless of that, we ARE getting a Jesus movie:
BMD wrote:Surprise: John Turturro Is Currently Filming A BIG LEBOWSKI Spin-Off
Word on the street is, Jesus Quintana is coming back in a very strange way.

Sources close to John Turturro’s Going Places have confirmed some weird and exciting news for us: the film, a remake of a French sex farce, is actually a Big Lebowski spin-off centered around Turturro's Jesus Quintana character.

Not only that, but the project has already begun filming with a script by Turturro and a cast that includes Bobby Cannavale, Audrey Tautou and Susan Sarandon.

The film, which currently has no distributor (thus making it an indie in the realest sense), takes its plot from the 1974 comedy Les Valseuses: two petty thieves, Turturro’s Jesus and Cannavale’s Petey, compete to give a woman (Tautou) her first orgasm after she’s roped into their hijinks. Sarandon also ends up in their company, playing a criminal who just got out after a long stint in prison.

I’m told Going Places is a week or two into production out in New York State. What brought The Jesus out east, I wonder? Does he still bowl? What has he been up to since 1990? Your guess is as good as mine, but here's what I know for sure: his off-beat hair choices and proclivity for purple both remain firmly intact. That’s really all that matters here.

Joel & Ethan Coen aren’t creatively involved, apparently, and while one might not expect them to sign off on a sequel, keep in mind that Turturro's work with them dates all the way back to Miller’s Crossing in 1990. They even poured money into Romance & Cigarettes, Turturro’s 2005 musical featuring Cannavale and Sarandon, so it’s not hard to believe they’d give him their blessings. Turturro has been talking about reprising the role for quite some time, and a French sex comedy re-structured around Quintana is one hell of an angle. The original was, as I understand it, incredibly sexist even for 1974 (Roger Ebert called it “the most misogynistic movie [he could] remember”), so I’m curious to see how they combine that with The Jesus’ absurd brand of machismo.

Nostalgia is the new Hollywood A-lister, isn't it? It seems like the only sure thing in a sea of new media, and it’s led to the mining of every beloved property by a handful of studios. Second only is the trend of foreign film adaptations, churned out with no care for context. A combination of the two might seem like nightmare fuel to any self-professed cinephile, but it's a horse of a different colour when you're talking about a non-studio passion project. Case in point: Coen darling Turturro using this remake as a comeback tour for The Jesus.

Anyway, we’ll keep you updated as we learn more.