Re: Too Old To Die Young

I need to check this out. I like Refn, and even his weaker, more self-indulgent messes are hugely entertaining. Pusher II is one of my favorite movies of the past decade or so.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

holy fucking shit. just finished ep 8 last night. two (well, one and a half, as the last one is 31 min) left and he completely blew the whole thing up. goddamn. so much of this show so far is lynchian, to the point where some of it has to be an intentional nod. you surround some of these scenes with jazzy electric piano or marimba and it's TP. every episode being feature length, essentially, makes it difficult to watch a bunch in a row but they are so goddamn intense i am kind of liking one per day to let it sink in.

wrapped this up last night. well, finished the episodes. i wouldn't say anything "wrapped up". some of the exposition in the last two was a little out of nowhere and a clear political statement, which was annoying. also, the last episode was 30 min, the first 10 of which was spent watching jena elfman masturbate (clothed) and dance around her house. those things made it feel like a bit of a troll, but regardless, refn should only do long-form TV. this was really phenomenal. the slow, deliberate pacing, the photography, the acting... all just great. really. i haven't seen many of his earlier films, but so far this is my favorite refn by far. very lynchian.