Re: Who Is America

i watched the first episode and a half. it seems impossible that these people didn't know it was clearly, at the very least, a man in quite a bit of makeup. the only person so far that seemed to know something was afoot was bernie. i mean, fucking baffling. really takes me right out of it. read an article written by the press guy for some DC VIP saying that they also received a request for interview, and that it seemed suspicious. he spent 5 minutes researching it to verify it clearly was not legit. did NONE of these people's people do any vetting at all? are people THAT fucking desperate to be on camera? even so, why in the mortal fuck would you chase someone around with your bared ass or scream "n***er" at the top of your lungs, knowing you are on camera as an elected official? if this is the norm, we truly are fucked beyond repair.

Not all of the bits have been as funny or earth-shaking as others — the aforementioned segment with the racist Georgia lawmaker has been a standout, as was the one with Roy Moore. But we're enjoying it nonetheless. But yeah, ultimately it's a pretty depressing portrait of the state of affairs in the U.S. today: racist, needy, afraid of everything, and irredeemably stupid.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

It's hit or miss, some bits are better than others. In the case of a lot of these people, no, I'm sure no one vetted anything. Many of them are so desperate for attention that they'll jump at the chance to get on tv. Also many of them are idiots. Ted Koppel seems to be the only one who caught on really quickly and ended things.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Sacha Baron Cohen has always been hit/miss with me. Something like 20/80 if that. Sometimes he strikes comedy gold but most of the time it's just lot's of makeup, accents and stupidity. This seems to follow that pattern closely.

_Marcus_ wrote:Sacha Baron Cohen has always been hit/miss with me. Something like 20/80 if that. Sometimes he strikes comedy gold but most of the time it's just lot's of makeup, accents and stupidity. This seems to follow that pattern closely.
this.

Ah, it depends. Brothers Grimsby was unwatchable. Bruno was about 20/80 like you say. This one is pretty good though, at least 50/50, and he's doing a good job of lampooning folks from across the political spectrum. If the commentariat are lukewarm it's because they feel the roast.

I just watched Borat with my son a few weeks ago, it holds up quite well and is a very funny and clever little piece of filmmaking. Ali G was always hit and miss, and my recollection of Bruno was pretty dim. I thought the art dealer bit in the first episode was pretty useless, but most of the rest has been good. I remind you of a Sanders style lefty eh? Weird. Anyway, it's clearly gotcha stuff and I don't think he's exposing anything we don't already know is alive and well in the US--plenty of racists and morons running around, always have been, always will be.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Ha, I wonder how many food critics they went through before hitting the jackpot? :roflmao: That's the first time Cohen couldn't help but break character a bit - he looked extremely pleased with himself!

Mosque segment was indeed excellent.

yeah i thought that dude was out when cohen mentioned human meat. his face dropped, which i misread as horror when it was actually excitement. like, "NO. FUCKING. WAY." dude couldn't wait. thanking the family on camera as he takes a bite was just icing on the cake. unreal.