The House That Jack Built [von Trier]

typical von trier - new film premiers at cannes, lots of walk-outs in the public screening, very few in the press screening. some reviews praising it, some loathing it. we get to wait many months before we are able to judge for ourselves, but trailer looks interesting, if VERY spoiler-y (you've been warned):
[youtube][/youtube]

beeb review - 4/5 stars: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201805 ... jack-built
spoiler-y review from vulture detailing the four most disturbing scenes ("...so people can decide if they want to see this"): http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/how-viol ... trier.html

#2 sounds like the worst one to me. shrug.

poster is also weird:
32559853_10155285380866237_3197416269255016448_o.jpg
i feel like it's absolutely trying to say something, i just can't be bothered to figure out what.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The House That Jack Built [von Trier]

I take von Trier for what he is, pretty reliably entertaining provocateur. I'll see this, looks fun. As I said elsewhere, the most horrifying part may be that Matt Dillon is finally getting old. Never thought that could happen.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I half wonder of there isn't a group of people they hire to walk out of screenings at Cannes just to get publicity. Kind of like how the oscars have seat fillers, but in reverse. They hire seat leavers. "OMG, the new shocking film from X had people running for the exits at the Cannes premiere! You won't believe it until you see it for yourself!"
Curious how Von Trier will play in the modern, me too era. If this gets distribution in the US I'll be shocked.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

really, really liked this film. finally got to see it. easily my favorite von trier, the epilogue alone was worth the watch to get there. only one scene that made me cringe in this, and it was brief (the duck scene), unlike most other LVT films which seem to actively enjoy making people want to turn it off. don't know what all the "walk out" fuss was about, it's maybe his most tame film. highly recommended.