Best of 2017?

i didn't see a lot of films this year, but i saw some. i'm amazed by the amount of sequels in my list. five faves in no particular order:
Logan
BR2049
The Last Jedi
Get Out
John Wick 2

need another viewing but mother! would probably make this list. at the expense of either get out of JW2, maybe. but i kind of love that my list includes a sequel i didn't know i needed, one that was way better than we deserved and another that put two of my favorite characters down.

Re: Best of 2017?

A lot of critics are including TP: The Return, so I will as well. DL calls it an 18-hour movie.

TP: The Return
BL: 2049
Get Out
mother!
Logan

Really didn't see much cinemawise, either.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

My favorites of the year were:
BR:2049
The Shape of Water
Logan

The Shape of Water was excellent! Definitely go see it if you're a Guillermo del Toro fan and liked Pan's Labyrinth. Bring along a lady friend. It's definitely a romantic movie and quite moving.

I barely even saw five movies in 2017, and still haven't seen a lot I want to like Blade Runner and Mother! So I guess this is it for a list:

Twin Peaks: The Return
The Last Jedi
Logan
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Dunkirk
mother!
Last Jedi
Blade Runner 2049
Get Out
The Belko Experiment
The Void
Wonder Woman
47 Meters Down
The Big Sick
Baby Driver
Spider Man: Homecoming
Detroit
Wind River
It
Ingrid Goes West
Thor: Ragnarok
Coco
Molly's Game
Marshall

Saw most of these in the theater and enjoyed them to varying degrees. Justice League was just as shit as predicted. Still need to see Killing Of A Sacred Deer, Shape Of Water, A Ghost Story, Kedhi, and a few others.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

yeah i want to see killing of a sacred deer, 3 billboards, etc. forgot about void. you enjoyed belko enough to put it on your best of list? huh. and yeah, i enjoyed WW, spider-man, and ragnarok fine as well.

TC wrote:yeah i want to see killing of a sacred deer, 3 billboards, etc. forgot about void. you enjoyed belko enough to put it on your best of list? huh. and yeah, i enjoyed WW, spider-man, and ragnarok fine as well.
Yeah, I like nasty little thrillers, this one fit the bill. Delivered exactly what the concept promised. Have argued its merits elsewhere with people who were disappointed; I didn't expect it to reinvent any wheel and was perfectly satisfied.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I've since seen a few new titles, so I'll update my list:

BR: 2049
Phantom Thread
Get Out
mother!
Good Time
Logan
The Shape of Water

Couple more and I can manage a top 10!
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I guess if we're going by films that came out in 2017 instead of when I saw them, then I'll update my list too:

Twin Peaks: The Return
Logan
Mother!
Dunkirk
Lady Bird

I'm pulling Last Jedi off my list as the more times I watch it, I like it, but I see more and more plot issues that should have been fixed.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I just watched Good Time today, it's not bad but I wouldn't call it tops of anything. I can see why you liked the style though. And the denoument is, well, something.

The denouement is Pickpocket Revisited. Which is okay, considering the Movie Brats used to rip off Bresson as well. And that's what this is, a proper 70s-style crime caper with the bonus of an excellent score.

Slowly catching up on 2017 titles. Here's an updated list, more or less in order of preference:

BR: 2049
Phantom Thread
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Call Me by Your Name
Get Out
mother!
Good Time
Logan
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water