The Handmaid's Tale

holy shit was this show awesome. just finished S1 yesterday. why didn't anyone push me to watch this? the title and all the accolades made me stay away, but man is it not at all what i expected. great/nihilistic sci-fi-ish/alternate futurism show. watch it if you haven't. now the long wait until april 2018 for S2. did anyone that watched it read the book? sounds like the book is pretty different.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale [Netflix]

We watched the pilot months ago, and while it was indeed good, we couldn't quite commit to it as something to unwind with at the end of a day's work. We're close enough to living in Mike Pence's America as it is.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

ok, so a few episodes in a row now, i've said outloud: "What?!? That's just lazy writing." so much extremely odd, very convenient stuff happening this season. like really ridiculous stuff. i'm still watching and enjoying it, but it's so far from possible reality now that it's starting to get irritating. also, how much time was supposed to have passed from when
june set foot in canada and she appears in court? there was no indication or statement or anything to give us any idea about how much time was supposed to have passed, but it seemed like 2-3 weeks. yet serena's belly grew several sizes.
it's just starting to feel like the last couple seasons of GoT, which was just rushing to the next event rather than actually writing for characters we had come to love.

welp, that was a pretty cathartic ending of the season. i still say the lazy writing continued to amp up as it went on. very much felt like the last couple GoT seasons where the characters we've come to know forgot all logic and ceased any kind of development, racing to the next gate of action/drama/etc., and there was zero sense of the passage of time. like,
how the hell did the envelope with fred's finger and ring arrive before june even got home? ridiculous.
it was enjoyable, it's just so very far from what made the show great to begin with. hopefully they recover next season. if this insanity continues, it's going to just be a caricature of itself, sadly.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

finished the season thursday. it wasn't as comic-book-action-hero as the last season, which is a good thing, but there were still many moments of characters exhibiting "comic book logic". like when moira told june that she wasn't comfortable leaving nichole with her, that she was scared of her. then 20 min later, just leaves the room and allows june to give nichole a bath. weird shit. and wild time jumps with no context clues regarding how much time has passed. it's crazy that shows just completely ignore any audience need to know how much time is passing. there is only one situation where they explicitly tell us -
when june spends a month in prison.

anyway, it was another great season, with a FANTASTIC ending. i know next season will be the last, and i honestly have no idea where they are going with a "definitive ending" (their words). should be fun to watch.