Re: Whedon to direct The Avengers

A few tweets from the big LA premiere this week:

FirstShowing: The Avengers - Epic. EPIC! Everyone fights everyone, but it does deliver. Marvel's movies get better every single one. Hulk! HULK!!

BadassDigest: AVENGERS is good enough to make me forgive IRON MAN 2.

AintItCool: THE AVENGERS. Finally, a Marvel film with a rousing finish. That third act is more than enough to make THE AVENGERS the best Marvel movie yet.

SlashFilm: I'd tweet about The Avengers but my body is still recovering from non-stop geeking out. So, so, so much fun (for the most part).

Variety: It's the bomb. I could not possibly say enough. Not a false note. Innovative. BRUTAL. And goddamn funny. Hype = believe it.

SlashFilm (another critic): The Avengers is pretty epic. There is probably more action in this film's climax than all the other Marvel movie combines!

Entertainment Weekly: Just got out of #Avengers premiere. Liked.

GeekDad: So much awesome.

Collider: Absolutely loved THE AVENGERS. Was smiling from beginning to end. Two things that made #THEAVENGERS amazing: the Hulk and the humor. Joss Whedon gets a 10 out of 10 on both of those.

Seth Green: So that was AMAZING. Like, double plus awesome. Thank you Joss Whedon for giving us all the #Avengers movie we deserve.

XXLMag: Just getting out of "The Avengers" world premiere. Thought the film was major. LOT of action, laughs and surprises. Hulk stole the show.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

i totally thought this opened this weekend and was all geeked to see it. bummer.

in the meantime, let's see the new promo still:
photobomb-that-guy-sunday-bunday-the-avengers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just got back from The Avengers at midnight. I give it a solid B. No one does character ensembles like Whedon. But at the end of the day it's still a action film with all the baggage that goes with that. Yet I enjoyed it. Maybe not as awesome as the trailer leads one to believe it would be, but still worth a viewing. There are some story points that you do have to just go with, particularly with the Hulk. And make sure you stay till the end of the credits. And I mean all the credits, not just the main characters credits which also has a little scene after them. If you stay all the way to the end you'll get a nice little chuckle.
More thoughts after sleep.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Spent all sorts of cash to take the family to see this on a nice big screen in 3D with a butt-shaking sound system. Was worth every penny. I was actually more pleased with the action that I thought I would be, there's a ton of fantastic stuff in there that you don't see in the trailers (although Hulk catching Iron Man would have been cooler if you didn't know it was coming). Yes the story is balderdash macguffin glue, but the setpieces are a ton of fun, the dialogue more or less crackles, I really felt like a kid seeing one of those beloved 80s summer flicks again. Been a while since I could say that.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

darkness wrote:And as a bonus now your kids have all kinds of new toys to beg you to buy them. :)
Actually from the last few flicks we've basically got them all aside from Hulk (and daughter will probably want a Black Widow now, she's a big fan).

Alexhead wrote:Actually from the last few flicks we've basically got them all aside from Hulk (and daughter will probably want a Black Widow now, she's a big fan).
But you do you have all the variations of Iron Man's suit? That's why he changes them of course, so they have more toys to make.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Am I the only one here who didn't hit the theaters this weekend? I'll probably catch it whenever it shows up at my local Redbox. My enjoyment of these Marvel films has been spotty, anyway.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Am I the only one here who didn't hit the theaters this weekend? I'll probably catch it whenever it shows up at my local Redbox. My enjoyment of these Marvel films has been spotty, anyway.
That's totally fair, but I have to say it's been a long time (The Dark Knight being the exception) since we've had a true "event" summer blockbuster movie, and this one fits the bill. It's popcorn heaven, a lot of fun. I would recommend it on the big screen if you're looking for that kind of thing. Really a rousing, big time action movie.

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Actually from the last few flicks we've basically got them all aside from Hulk (and daughter will probably want a Black Widow now, she's a big fan).
But you do you have all the variations of Iron Man's suit? That's why he changes them of course, so they have more toys to make.
On the many points you can credit Joss, he said in an interview that Iron Man's chest thingy should be fucking round, and he does a fine job of getting him into a suit that has that when shit is serious. I'll also say Iron Man really does rock this movie, both in getting into that round chest thingy suit and the whole portal thing (hopefully that's not too spoilery).

O-dot wrote:Am I the only one here who didn't hit the theaters this weekend? I'll probably catch it whenever it shows up at my local Redbox. My enjoyment of these Marvel films has been spotty, anyway.
i didn't get to it either. probably will this weekend. maybe.