Re: Whedon to direct The Avengers

Alexhead wrote:On the many points you can credit Joss, he said in an interview that Iron Man's chest thingy should be fucking round, and he does a fine job of getting him into a suit that has that when shit is serious. I'll also say Iron Man really does rock this movie, both in getting into that round chest thingy suit and the whole portal thing (hopefully that's not too spoilery).
Iron Man has, to be honest, been the outstanding films of all of the pre-Avengers ones. All credit to RDJ for that one.

Not sure why it has to be round. It's changed enough in the past. Also always seemed silly that Iron Man exposes the one part of him that keeps him alive. If I was him that's the part I'd have hidden under five extra layers of armor.
ironmanarmory1.jpg
ironmanarmory2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I see a lot of round there! I think that's just the classic comic book geek in him. Not something I would pay much attention to but I guess that's why I don't make superhero movies. And yes, the placement does seem a little odd...but then again, comic book characters conceived 50 years ago aren't always as bound by the rules of logic as they probably should be.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Saw this over the weekend. I'll give it a Solid B+. RDJ was really the only one of the Avengers that had any sort of charisma at all. But since this in an ensemble we don't have to get too bogged down with some of the "lesser" characters. It allowed the film to transition to someone else's story and keep interest, and the plot moving forward. I'm still not exactly sold on Sam Jackson as an actor when he isn't screaming at the top of his lungs, but since the film has such a large cast to pull from, this is a minor annoyance. Nobody will ever confuse this with high art, but that's not what I wanted out of this. I was able to sit down, munch popcorn and shut my brain off for 2 and a half hours, while still being thoroughly entertained. If you're into comic book movies, I definitely recommend it.

just saw this with the fam. awesome. whedon completely pulled it off. best pure action film i've seen in years. hulk stole the show for sure, as did RDJ but that was expected. i wasn't even geeked out for this, but it completely lived up to the hype. loved it for what it was. marvel has done their comic movie universe right.

the scene at the end of the credits was one of the many hilarious parts of the film.

The Avengers finally made it to the cheap theater near me, so I saw it again on Friday. It was still awesome the second time, and I caught a few more of Tony Stark's rapid one-liners that I didn't catch the first time. There are a few nitpicky problems with the film, but overall it's just amazing. We'll definitely be getting it on blu-ray. My wife already has that and Captain America on her birthday list. :)

As the last human on the face of the earth, I just saw The Avengers. Have to agree with most of what people have said so far. It's an amazing thrill ride that, despite it being over two hours, never feels like it runs longer than it has to. Some real issues with the way too neatly tying up of all the knots in the end though
(Stellan Skarsgård just happened to come to his senses, having installed a fail-safe device out of nowhere? Nah)
, but overall a really fun experience.
Can't wait for the second one and seein some of Thanos!

What impressed me the most is how Whedon manages to keep this thing going through this over the top script without ever making it feel cheesy. I don't think that would have been possible without A) great casting B) great writing C) Iron Man. The C-part is really where all three points come together. Having a well written RDJ playing Iron Man - you can't loose with that really.

Glad you enjoyed it, and I agree on all points--Whedon himself has said that Iron Man provided the DNA that the rest of them followed, and he wisely gives him the best character arc of the movie. I know the Avengers vs Dark Knight Rises rivalry for this summer is sillyness, but if one is going to engage in such sillyness, I think the clear winner came from Marvel.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

The more I think about it though, the more the huge plot holes in the especially the third act really bothers me. They're not true deus ex machinas, but they sure take the first two acts and throw them right in the trash in that third act. Especially with how difficult its supposed to be to close down the portal, and also how they have built up Hulk as almost an uncontrollable weapon of mass destruction. All of a sudden, he's come to his senses and fights the good fight? An easy, lazy script solution that I cant really get behind.

_Marcus_ wrote:The more I think about it though, the more the huge plot holes in the especially the third act really bothers me. They're not true deus ex machinas, but they sure take the first two acts and throw them right in the trash in that third act. Especially with how difficult its supposed to be to close down the portal, and also how they have built up Hulk as almost an uncontrollable weapon of mass destruction. All of a sudden, he's come to his senses and fights the good fight? An easy, lazy script solution that I cant really get behind.
Agreed, there are plenty of plot holes and issues if you choose to pick at it (much like The Dark Knight Rises, although that franchise's supposed dedication to 'realism' makes them a lot more glaring).

I knew klimov would want to know what kind of rumors were coming up for Marvel's Phase 2 and Phase 3, figured this thread would work as well as any. I don't keep up on the superhero comics like I did, um, 25 years ago, but a friend who does really liked the comics mentioned herein. This is primarily spoiler stuff for Phase 3--rumors of course, but from a pretty good source.
Marvel's Plans For A Hulk Movie
As for the other green superhero, Latino Review — which has scored some big Marvel scoops over the last few months — is reporting that either in the third act or post-credits scene of The Avengers 2, the Hulk will be shot into space by the Illuminati, the secret organization of Marvel superheroes that includes Iron Man and Doctor Strange, after the green giant is deemed too dangerous to remain on Earth.

This will set up the premise for the Hulk's standalone movie, and if you don't like spoilers, stop reading now. Latino Review claims the plot of that movie will be based on Greg Pak's 2006 Planet Hulk comic's storyline. To make a long story short, after Hulk smashes a lot of extraterrestrial ass, he'll put together an army and return to Earth good and pissed off, thereby setting the scene for Avengers 3, which the site claims will be based on Pak's 2007 Planet Hulk follow-up, World War Hulk.