Re: Whedon to direct The Avengers

Downey Jr. turned up at a Comic Convention of some sort this weekend, talked a bit about making Iron Man 3, and had this to say about The Avengers so far:
Well, I hate everybody. [Audience laughs] I’m not talking about the cast, I’m not talking about Joss. What I mean is I tend to look at a scene and say ‘This is absolutely impossible, we can’t shoot this, it’s horrible. I can tell you 10 other movies its been in, I refuse.’ I usually start off the morning by refusing to do what I’ve signed on to do. So I brought that attitude, happily. I just thought ‘How are you gonna put all of us clowns together? He’s wearing a suit, he’s all jacked up, he’s so and so and poor Mark Ruffalo, he’s gonna out do us’. And we’re about six weeks in and I have to say Joss Whedon is nailing it. He’s so smart and so good. And it’s gonna be great. I can’t believe I just said it, I never could’ve believed this but it’s gonna be great.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=39760
I have been fortunate enough to have a chat with someone who was VERY fortunate enough to catch 15 minutes of footage from Marvel's The Avengers. Now I wish I could tell you guys all that I was told but contracts were signed, people could get into trouble, all the usual red tape. But here is what I can tell you..

The footage left my friend's jaw on the floor. He/she was shown "animation of un shot battle scenes and saw footage of The Avengers together. no special effects yet." I was told what was shown was pretty spectacular. And I can say just one more thing, The Hulk will play a "key role" in these screened battle scenes.

And that's pretty much it I'm afraid. Toldja it wasn't much. But, I am assured that those privy to the footage were all very impressed indeed. If I manage to come by any more on this(that I can talk about anyway) I will update.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

from the grainy phone footage, looks like we get quick glimpses of green arrow, cap'n, thor, iron man, then all of them together. clearly a teaser, as it's not out until next year, but ok. i'll go with that. haven't seen thor or cap'n, can't comment.

I missed Green Arrow in there :-P

They haven't even finished principal photography so I wasn't expecting much action/completed effects. Still, I got jazzed.

I hope Miracle Man shows up.

Actually one of the early shots is of Loki being flanked by some big dudes (Skrulls?). There is some conjecture out there that, much like in issue 1 of The Avengers,
Loki will at one point possess the Hulk and turn him on the rest of the team. As we see Loki possess the scientist at the end of credits sequence after Thor, this wouldn't surprise me.

TC wrote:well wtf then, hawkman? some douche with a bow & arrow. i never liked the avengers, sue me. :)
I think we probably would have let it go if it wasn't for the fact that Green Arrow is a DC character. So is Hawkman for that matter. :)
That's Hawkeye, and despite the fact that I did read the Avengers when I was a kid, I still can't remember a single thing about him. Apparently neither can anyone else since he's the only Avenger who didn't get his own film.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Apparently they split this apart and had single character posters all over until the last day, when geeks showed up to find this. Pretty nice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From io9:

The first extended look at The Avengers just premiered at Disney's D23 Expo. Here's our spoiler-y rundown of what we saw. Here's the spoiler-free version: everything we saw looked like an awesome mix of epic, funny, and badass.
The footage began with Loki (Tom Hiddleston) in prison on board the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) addresses Loki through the clear panels of the cage: "In case it's unclear, if you try to escape, you so much as tap on the glass..." Fury then flicks a switch and the floor of the cage almost completely drops away, revealing a 30,000 foot drop to certain doom (or as certain as doom can be with someone like Loki).

Loki simply observes, "It's an impressive cage", and he notes that it was clearly built for someone else. Fury says that it was - it was built for someone even stronger than him. Loki knows they're talking about the Hulk, calling him a mindless beast and wondering how desperate Fury must be to ally himself with the likes of such a creature. At this point we see all the various personnel who are listening into this conversation, including Hulk's human alter ego Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), and S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders).

Loki wonders what it must feel for Fury to have been so close to wielding the power of the Cosmic Cube, and how devastating it must be for all that to have slipped away. Fury accuses Loki of talking about peace and then killing for fun, and he tells Loki, "You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did." Loki asks him what it must be like to be in the presence of real power - to which Fury simply replies, "Let me know if real power wants a magazine or something", and walks away from the cage. The Avengers look at the prisoner on the video monitors, as Bruce Banner caustically observes, "He really grows on you, doesn't he?"

The footage then shows a bunch of action sequences, including a fighter jet flying over a city, an explosive truck chase, and - most intriguingly - a shot of Captain America and Thor apparently fighting each other, with Thor about to bring the hammer down on Cap's shield. All the while, we hear Nick Fury explain the mission statement of the Avengers: "There was an idea to bring together a group of remarkable, to see if they could become more. To fight the battles we never could."

But the most epic exchange comes at the end, as Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) is behind a bar counter, mixing himself a drink. He describes his teammates: "Let's do a head count. We've got a couple master assassins, a demigod, and a living legend who kinda lives up to the legend" - that'd be Black Widow and Hawkeye, Thor, and Captain America. It's then that we learn Stark is talking to Loki: "And you, big fella, have managed to piss off every single one of them."

To this, Loki responds, "I have an army." Stark's eminently quotable and awesome response? "We have a Hulk." We then see the Hulk roar, and the footage ends.
While it's still early days - indeed, filming is still two weeks from completion - this is looking very, very good so far.

http://io9.com/5832914/weve-seen-the-fi ... e-avengers

It has been thought (but not confirmed) that the guys in motion capture suits spotted on the Cleveland set are stand-ins for CG animated Skrulls. Others sources say the Skrulls aren't in the film, and there has been question as to whether Fox may hold part ownership of the name thanks to their retaining of the rights to the "Fantastic Four" universe. Marvel's Kevin Feige said two years ago "we do own them" but Fox still apparently owns the Super-Skrull character.

IGN however has posted an interesting theory - that Loki's allies are the Chitauri, the Ultimate Universe's version of the Skrulls. This gives Marvel a way of having alien shapeshifter antagonists in the movie without actually calling them Skrulls.