Re: Whedon to direct The Avengers

They're basically combining Avengers issue #1 with a more recent Ultimate Avengers, as I understand it. Loki recruits some aliens to take over earth. Earth fights back with the Avengers.

Oh, and the trailer looks quite nice for a first shot across the bough.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Gondry just did a Sweded version of Taxi Driver that you can find on youtube and is well worth your time.

Back to the Avengers, an official toy line may have leaked who the other villain in the movie is:
The Red Skull
. The way the ad copy read I think they're probably just shoving some Marvel names out there, I still think based on the footage of the MoCap men that it's aliens.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

A little more wood to throw on the fire...gotta watch it with my mixed wood metaphors...
In an interview with Starburst for the upcoming DVD release of TAKE SHELTER, special effects supervisor Chris Wells dropped some interesting details about his latest project: THE AVENGERS.

Working at Hydraulx, the SFX company behind SKYLINE and BATTLE: LOS ANGELES, Wells and his crew are overseeing the much-anticipated film's opening sequence. 'We're doing what essentially boils down to the prelude of the movie,' he said. 'There's a whole intro that happens before you start even getting the titles and it's pretty big. There's nothing small in this movie. I went to a screening with all the temporary visual effects and it was pretty fleshed out. It's a long movie but it doesn't feel like it. Out of all the comic book movies and franchises I've worked on, this is the best one I've seen so far.'

Having worked on the X-MEN films, CAPTAIN AMERICA, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, GREEN LANTERN and more, Wells knows his superhero stuff, although he claims to not be a big fan of the genre. Asked whether the film would be driven by action or the more character-orientated work that director Joss Whedon is known for, Wells gave an answer that will set a lot of fanboy minds at rest. 'I think they nailed both,' he said. 'Joss and I have worked on some projects before and he does a very good job with characters. Since this is the first time that we see these guys together as a unit, he had to address all their personal dealings with one another. I think he did a very good job of setting up the characters based on what we know from the Marvel franchise, integrating them together with all their differences and similarities and then getting on with business. And just when you think the movie is a character piece it just goes nuts.'

While Wells avoided giving away any details about the mysterious baddies of the piece and refused to be drawn on whether the much-rumoured Skrulls would be on villain duty, he did confirm that The Red Skull was not in the movie, cryptically adding, 'but that's ok because there's enough bad guys to go around'. Despite being somewhat weary of superhero films, Wells went on to state that THE AVENGERS has far exceeded his expectations and is destined to be a massive hit when released this summer. 'I promise you it's not going to be boring,' he said. 'This thing has gone so big that Marvel are dwarfing their other franchises. For people who enjoy the comics and haven't really liked the way some of the characters were treated in other movies, I think they're going to be a little more appeased by this one. Especially the Hulk. They let the Hulk be Hulk and that's great. He acts more like the comic book Hulk. It's fun. My biggest problem with every single superhero movie is I don't think the payoff ever matches the build up. This one definitely does.'

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/news/1 ... -assembled

From one of the better writers at AICN:
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Disney has released two new Avengers pics and I figured it'd be quite greedy of me to keep them to myself, so here they are.

Word 'round the campfire is Marvel considers The Avengers to be their best outing yet. I've talked to some cynics in the group who weren't sure it was going to come together and they're all doing their mea culpas now. They say it has the heart, the action, the humor and the suspense a movie like The Avengers should have. The only criticisms I've heard is that Whedon's eye isn't as cinematic as it should be, but that the rest of the movie is so good that you accept it.

So, go Avengers! Bring it on!

Didn't bother with the pics, nothing particularly interesting.