Re: Star Trek [TV, 2017]

Really, I know the guy's resume but I really just am a die hard Fannibal so anyone who ran that show can run any show as far as I'm concerned.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

It is in some respects closer to Twin Peaks than any other show, it becomes increasingly stylized as it moves forward, and by the time it's done it certainly became the definitive filmed version of those characters in my book.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

[youtube][/youtube]

still don't really understand how i'm supposed to watch this. does CBS have a premium streaming service separate from current viewership? also don't really understand why it was necessary to do this on your own niche (if that) platform.

Yeah, eventually you'll just have all the streaming channels on your smart tv and you pay for the ones you want. We're pretty much there now for that matter. I just bought Showtime streaming so I could watch Twin Peaks. I suppose if you bought every single channel it'd end up costing a lot more than cable. But considering how few channels I actually watch, I'm really glad to see things moving to this a la carte system.

As for Trek, I wish they'd quite the prequels and move on to continuing the story. I see just from the trailer they're mucking with several established items of Trek history.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Alexhead wrote:Are you actually going to have to pay for CBS's streaming service to watch this?

If you want to go the legal route, yes. $5.99 a month with commercials or $9.99 without. Not worth it to me as there are no other shows on CBS I really watch that I can't wait for Netflix for. I'll pay $9.99 a month for Twin Peaks, but not for questionable Trek.

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:Are you actually going to have to pay for CBS's streaming service to watch this?

If you want to go the legal route, yes. $5.99 a month with commercials or $9.99 without. Not worth it to me as there are no other shows on CBS I really watch that I can't wait for Netflix for. I'll pay $9.99 a month for Twin Peaks, but not for questionable Trek.
they are ridiculous. but can you clarify - if you have a provider currently, it's free, correct? but you still have to go to a computer or whatever to watch.

TC wrote:if you have a provider currently, it's free, correct? but you still have to go to a computer or whatever to watch.
Nope. The live CBS broadcast feed is free if you have a provider, but for AllAccess exclusive content, such as Trek, you have to pay for the service. There's no legal way to watch Trek Discovery without giving them at least $5.99 a month or $59 a year. Also you don't have to watch on a computer. My AmazonFire stick has the AllAccess app, and I'm sure most smart TVs do as well, so you can watch on tv. You just gotta pay.

completely ridiculous. so really, they're expecting people to pay $6/mo for four episodes of star trek. i mean, in the premium radio/podcast world, that's not bad at all. but no one in the TV world is used to that model.

TC wrote:completely ridiculous. so really, they're expecting people to pay $6/mo for four episodes of star trek. i mean, in the premium radio/podcast world, that's not bad at all. but no one in the TV world is used to that model.
I'm sure they're assuming you'll enjoy the other CBS shows as well. Trek isn't the only All Access exclusive show. I don't know, I pay $10 a month just to watch Twin Peaks, so I suppose if you're really a die hard Trek nut it's worth it to you. 20 years ago I might have, but not with what Trek has become today.

Tell you what, the best move would be for CBS, NBC and ABC to join forces and circle the catalog wagons. Oh and start making any programming young people actually want to see. ABCBSNBC.

Alexhead wrote:Tell you what, the best move would be for CBS, NBC and ABC to join forces and circle the catalog wagons. Oh and start making any programming young people actually want to see. ABCBSNBC.
try looking up your favorite SNL bit from any era and see how much NBC pays attention to what people want.

TC wrote:try looking up your favorite SNL bit from any era and see how much NBC pays attention to what people want.
NBC doesn't own SNL, Broadway Video does.
Alexhead wrote:Tell you what, the best move would be for CBS, NBC and ABC to join forces and circle the catalog wagons. Oh and start making any programming young people actually want to see. ABCBSNBC.
The network system isn't designed for that though. They're there to sell soap, cars, whatever. They're beholden to advertisers who hate anything controversial or risky. Thus the content will almost always reflect that.

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:try looking up your favorite SNL bit from any era and see how much NBC pays attention to what people want.
NBC doesn't own SNL, Broadway Video does.
what? so NBC has to license its own content from them? i mean, the SNL app is all NBC branded, all the SNL videos online are only on the NBC website, etc.