Re: Snowden [Stone]

Oh totally. You can tell Stone's a nutter, even when he presents himself in a rather collected manner. He had, like, two police officers there as his private security detail, it was weird. I've seen a few filmmakers there now, none quite as big as him but a few others, and nobody's ever been that much of a drama queen. Anyway, still fun to be in a relatively small theater with the guy and hear him shoot the shit for a while.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote: Stone pointed out he has since shot violent material for both Scorsese and Tarantino
I'll grant him Tarantino, but the post-U-Turn Scorsese titles aren't violent.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
Alexhead wrote: Stone pointed out he has since shot violent material for both Scorsese and Tarantino
I'll grant him Tarantino, but the post-U-Turn Scorsese titles aren't violent.
Shutter Island?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I don't recall anything in that one on the order of the stuff in Goodfellas. (Only saw it once, though.)
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Alexhead wrote:I'm doing a writeup for that site I work with now, will share the link
i thought you shared it here, but maybe i got it from FB only? either way, nice write-up. reading that, it occurs to me i don't think i ever saw U-Turn. nothing about your write-up sounds familiar.

also, as a young white american male, i have a hard time believing snowden didn't watch many movies.

Saw Snowden last night. It's a pretty solid film. Since it's Stone you take it all with a grain of salt and assume 85% of it is bullshit. He did a good job of not re-telling the story that was already in the documentary, so there's not too much overlap. There's nothing groundbreaking of revolutionary here either in information or filmmaking. Nicolas Cage is pretty underused.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

saw this last night. pretty much agree with mike. they did a solid job of cramming "what a guy" down your throat. put him up on quite a high pedestal early on. but was quite enjoyable and a stark reminder that it's been four years and all he really did was give everyone a thing to talk about. seems no one is questioning "yeah, but what are they doing NOW? what are they still doing?"

the real question is, who is the next snowden? did ollie inspire others with this?

and having the real snowden show up at the end was really cool. i didn't see that coming.