Re: The Witch

Like I said, you're off the rails, have fun, nobody gives a shit about your silly exercise in finding a reason to be offended. TC, glad you liked it, figured you would. I think the dialogue issues--and you are far from the only person to have that difficulty--were greatly lessened for us as we saw it in the theater.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

TC, if they took out the witch I wouldn't love it but I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it. Alexhead, it's not so much about being 'offended', but about the weak, thoughtless, cynical, money-grabbing approach that the filmmakers take to the material. The film achieves nothing other than giving undemanding audiences a few scares and furthering prejudice - I like a little bit more than that from my art. If you disagree, how about putting forward a competing argument instead of resorting to base ad hominem, it's pretty weak.

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about at this point. You might as well be Nadine screaming at Ed about drape runners. I think we may have seen different films. You are the only person I've ever seen anywhere carry on in such a manner about The Witch. Weak=your take.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

That's becase society still has a strongly patriarchal bias. Discrimination on grounds of race and religion has everyone up in arms, misogyny still not so much. I mean, a confessed sex offender is inches from becoming your president...

And we shouldn't watch The Exorcist because "possessed" people in fact are mentally ill and under the sway of extremists. Or The Shining because alcoholism and domestic violence ought not be trivialized in stories about haunted hotels and Native American burial grounds.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

It's not Witches per-se, it's the depiction of a 17th century 'witch' engaged in the blood libel. But of course you lot can't understand that, just as you can't understand it when someone points out that Hillary is supporting jihadis and trying to start a war with Russia, because it sits outside the normative values established by your mainstream media...

Nb. The Wizard of Oz is widely regarded as sexist, albeit this is accepted as a product of its time (see also Gone With the Wind re: race).

well this thread is nutso. i watched this film again friday night and was coming here to say so, then got reminded of how this went the first time.

anyway, this is SUCH a great film. fantastic. i liked it more this time around. i feel like i understood most of the dialog. i feel like i wasn't looking for it to be "about" something else and was enjoying taking it at face value. witchcraft is a thing, whether some people think so or not. and a lifetime of brainwashing children to believe it is certainly only empowers it. people thus affected can make small things into something huge in their mind. the fear.

anyway, loved this flick. really want to watch hereditary again now to see how i feel about that on second viewing. but that is the only film i can think of that could give this a run for its money as far as "horror" films the last several years. i have a feeling this wins.

re-watched this again over the weekend. i love this film, but i stand by everything i said earlier - subtitles are 100% necessary to pick up everything that's happening, and it would have been a much better film if they had removed the scenes with the witch. just seeing how guilt and anger can corrupt a corruptible teenage girl would have been plenty of payoff. having an actual witch be in this kind of cheapens the intent for me. regardless, still love it.

Loved the Lighthouse and agree this could've actually been a good film without the witch (albeit then none of us would have seen it and Eggers wouldn't have a career...). Looking forward to the Northman.