Re: Twin Peaks [2017]

O-dot wrote:Just give Kyle all the acting awards now.
Lynch and Frost better win something for this. Once again they're pushing the boundaries of television. Sad that the masses aren't appreciating it more.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I've seen that complaint elsewhere, I think Richard's story is kind of fucking perfect, actually. Although we don't quite have all the pieces just yet.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Also, as O-dot points out, the emotional impact would have been dulled if Coop showed up again 8 episodes in. This was the point all along. It's kind of funny to see one of the champions of languid euro-pacing in cinema complaining about Lynch taking his time. He's always taken his time, this is nothing new. Allowing all the true fans to hang out in Twin Peaks for another 18 hours is just a priceless gift. Gimme five minutes of sweeping up the Roadhouse. Ten.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

darkness wrote:I think Richard and a lot of other plots are all building to a point with the Audrey story.
430. Richard and Linda. His role isn't finished yet, I suspect.

My theory of what happened at the end:
What we see at the end is an elaborate trap set by Coop, Laura and the good lodge folk to get Mr. C stuck in an alternate reality in Audrey's dream where he can't do any harm to the real one. Cooper was pretty clearly acting like Mr. C in the diner, and speaking with the same slow monotone ever since he left the lodge. So what if everyone knew he was going to get out again, but laid a trap for him where he'd be imprisoned in this other world. One that is inside Audrey's head (remember, it's been said time and again since the original that they live inside a dream). Mr. C has been trapped inside Audrey's comatose mind. What Laura was whispering to him was the whole plan.
Of course the other possibility is that this whole thing has been just all Audrey's fucked up dream, but I feel like that'd be way too simple. She's clearly connected to this all though given the name checks such as Richard and Linda that come in to play.

Argh, I hate timelimits on editing. I just realized I made a mistake above.
I meant that the Giant told Cooper the Richard and Linda plan, which Audrey later referenced in her own dream. Cooper sacrificed himself to keep Mr. C/Bob from escaping by crossing that 430 line and becoming stuck in Audrey's dream.

I can't comment on theories about the end right now. My brain is all over the place from those last two hours. All I can say is that we are blessed to have a director like Lynch in our life. Someone who refuses the easy answer, or an answer at all, and gives us this. This magical thing that was The Return.

If they don't do a season 4, we'll be talking about this ending for another 25 years. Wow.

_Marcus_ wrote:I can't comment on theories about the end right now. My brain is all over the place from those last two hours. All I can say is that we are blessed to have a director like Lynch in our life. Someone who refuses the easy answer, or an answer at all, and gives us this. This magical thing that was The Return.

If they don't do a season 4, we'll be talking about this ending for another 25 years. Wow.
with you on both counts. i've read a few theories, that's the first time i've see anyone reference
audrey's dream. the thought never occurred to me. i figured her story line ended for us when she "awoke" clearly in some kind of hospital. it's a very interesting theory. but why does laura scream at the end then?

i haven't looked, but i imagine many complaints about how much footage was recycled in the last two episodes.

TC wrote:well this is certainly an interesting read:

would be pretty incredible/revelatory if true. i wouldn't put it past lynch.
Probably my favorite take on the ending so far. Very Lynch/Frost to be honest. Like you say, I would not put it past either of them to create such an ending.