Re: Twin Peaks [2017]

darkness wrote:I thought it was good at filling in some gaps and history while still leaving some mysteries for the new series.
Sorry to see Pete died in the bank explosion, but I guess with Nance dead it was a fitting end saving Audrey.
Yeah, I totally agree with that. Also - it's obvious the book is a puzzle in itself, with carefully and totally deliberate "mistakes" scattered all over it. Fans being all up in arms about wrong dates, people being dead who were clearly alive in the series etc, keep forgetting who wrote the book. This is what Mark Frost does best, and that makes me want to go back and read it again asap.

Not that a lack of consistency in the Peaks books is a new thing. The Laura Palmer diary doesn't even get the dates right on her death with the series. And FWWM contradicts several things in it. The Cooper Tapes are even worse about conflicts. So I don't really worry too much. It's highly likely that the archivist didn't have all the facts quite down. And some of the stories we're told second hand in the series also could be from an unreliable memory. I always see books as a cool supplement, but like any merchandising tie-in, I don't take them as gospel (sorry Star Wars EU fans).
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Heh. I just read one of those new 'official canon' Star Wars books over the summer, they appear to tiptoe around the source material to a huge extent.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Heh. I just read one of those new 'official canon' Star Wars books over the summer, they appear to tiptoe around the source material to a huge extent.
I have the e versions of a couple of them and skimmed through them, but I have so many books to read right now they're low priority. But none of them looked like they had any great revelations in them. Even the novelization of Force Awakens seems light on extra details unlike the novels of the original trilogy.

Getting back to Peaks, the book did what I think it was intended to, namely get some buzz going around the new series, give us old timers a bit of a tease, and line Frost's pockets with a little extra spending money since I suspect Lynch is the one who's coming out ahead on the Showtime end of things, getting both a director's and writer's fee. It's nice to get that little 'member berry nostalgia thrill of pouring over the details of a Peaks book again. Back when they came out the Laura and Cooper books were pretty much inseparable from me.

the WADOT worker responsible for updating that sign has had 25 years to change the population. he really sucks at his job.

but, gordon eating a donut is probably the best thing i've seen all month.

_Marcus_ wrote:I'm thinking of buying one of the action figures, but the Pops just look dumb as hell.
Pops have always looked stupid to me. They pretty much just exist to cash in on addicted collectors who have to get every one of a series.

darkness wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:I'm thinking of buying one of the action figures, but the Pops just look dumb as hell.
Pops have always looked stupid to me. They pretty much just exist to cash in on addicted collectors who have to get every one of a series.
yeah, this. same. however, twin peaks. while i'm aware they are exploiting wallets of fans and collectors, i don't care in this particular case. what we need is a mystery man one with a camera.

TC wrote:yeah, this. same. however, twin peaks. while i'm aware they are exploiting wallets of fans and collectors, i don't care in this particular case. what we need is a mystery man one with a camera.
Well fuck... Now I HAVE to buy that, if it's released.