Re: Twin Peaks [2017]

darkness wrote:At least for the example they had the tact to mention Boyle and not Anderson. I'm sure his answer would have been even more annoyed.
he should have given the honest answer - she has fucked herself up beyond recognition. i mean, i assumed if donna returned, it would be kelly anyway. hoped.

and yeah, MJA is either 100% right and lynch is silencing him (not likely) or he's 100% gone off the deep end and we'll not see him in anything else, ever.

also, thanks to alexhead, watched the live red carpet event on facebook live yesterday. the guy doing the interviews was clearly in heaven and nervous beyond belief, but it was amazing. i'm still in shock this is actually happening. also, chrysta bell is out there. wowsers.

TC wrote:and yeah, MJA is either 100% right and lynch is silencing him (not likely) or he's 100% gone off the deep end and we'll not see him in anything else, ever.
It seems a lot more likely that MJA has gone off the deep end (especially considering the other stuff he posts) than that Lynch had Jack Nance killed.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:and yeah, MJA is either 100% right and lynch is silencing him (not likely) or he's 100% gone off the deep end and we'll not see him in anything else, ever.
It seems a lot more likely that MJA has gone off the deep end (especially considering the other stuff he posts) than that Lynch had Jack Nance killed.
and raped his own daughter, and has been actively silencing her for years, and that twin peaks is based on this.

darkness wrote:Well, I guess tonight we got Lynch's response to Anderson:
"Talk shit about me and my daughter? Fuck you, you're a tree now. Lol.
with Wilson as a head
quick thoughts - fucking amazing. beyond what i expected. lynch isn't holding back, he dived right back into it immediately. THIS is how you make a new "film" that takes place in a familiar universe. he clearly still has something to say. this isn't just a nostalgia trip. i need to watch it again. couldn't stay up to watch 3&4, hope to tonight, then i'll rewatch all 4h.
gone is the constant undercurrent of mysterious sometimes bouncy/sometimes dark music. we get very brief snippets of familiar themes here & there. most noted when lucy talks now, there's not the music hint that she's goofy and without it she seems very serious. the entire thing took place in a dark world, essentially documenting dale's journey out of the black lodge. the first goddamn scene was the black lodge, literally. then he eventually appeared out of a dryer in NYC lol. is it the future or the past? fucking incredible.
i'm still in shock it's really happening again.

Tonally, the episodes felt way more like the Mulholland Drive show we never got than they do Twin Peaks.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Tonally, the episodes felt way more like the Mulholland Drive show we never got than they do Twin Peaks.
to be fair, nearly the entire 1 & 2 took place in the black lodge or had something to do with it, when very little of the original run did. so yes, very different tone. very welcome here.
was just telling someone that it may be my favorite 2h of lynch in existence. need to watch again, but 3 & 4 up tonight.

Wow... So I... Eh.

Binged the first four episode just now (premiered early in the morning here in Sweden so had to wait until I got back home from work which SUCKED).

I love everything about this. Absolutely everything. This is, like you said TC, Lynch let loose. Tonally it's the PERFECT balance between the film and the series. And the build-up is amazing so far. The story seems to get tighter and tighter with each episode, and it will land like a fucking ton of bricks in Twin Peaks pretty soon I would imagine.

And yes. This has Mulholland Drive written all over it. Not sure if it's the same universe really, but the feel is the same.

But then again, I cried like a little baby when I saw the opening of the first episode. So can't say I'm particularly un-biased here. I even liked what little I saw of James, for fucks sake. JAMES!

Why is it not Sunday tomorrow???

And yes. This has Mulholland Drive written all over it. Not sure if it's the same universe really, but the feel is the same.
It may as well be. Everything about these episodes screams Mulholland Drive. The pacing, the way he framed and held shots, the acting style, the digressions into little scenes that don't seem to relate to the main story.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
It may as well be. Everything about these episodes screams Mulholland Drive. The pacing, the way he framed and held shots, the acting style, the digressions into little scenes that don't seem to relate to the main story.
That's just the way he directs these days I guess. It creates that tone. It's so clearly a beast devoid of network restraints. Not saying everything is perfect so far (would be weird and too good to be true if that was the case) but the most important thing for me is the tone. And that's just right. Just right.

klimov wrote:Personally, I find the comparisons to Fargo, True Detective and Lost in this and other reviews rather facile.
Especially since it's most likely them that should be compared to Twin Peaks and not the other way around.

_Marcus_ wrote:Why is it not Sunday tomorrow???
doesn't matter. if you've watched the first four episodes, we have to wait another 2.5 weeks before a new one. right? i'll just be re-watching the first four until then.
_Marcus_ wrote:
klimov wrote:Personally, I find the comparisons to Fargo, True Detective and Lost in this and other reviews rather facile.
Especially since it's most likely them that should be compared to Twin Peaks and not the other way around.
from the article:
Of course, it’s ridiculous to suggest that “Twin Peaks” is borrowing these elements so much as borrowing them back.
watched 3 & 4 last night. they were fine. obviously not nearly as powerful as 1 & 2 (i'd love 18h of that).
was really heartbreaking to see miguel ferrer. he's clearly not himself. not much albert left in this character, at least not yet. he had to be sick while filming. so sad. and yes, shelly's line about james in E2 was squarely aimed at the james haters. then we get a character even worse than james, taking lynch's obsession with the "rebel" trope to new extremes, in andy & lucy's kid. makes james look like fonzie. that'll be enough michael cera, thanks. and robot/stroke cooper is going to get old really quickly so i hope that starts coming around. was surprised to see chrysta bell as an agent - i thought she was going to be "in" the show like julee cruise was in the original run, as a singer. but, she's really in it. the way she walks looks painful. but, very throw-back, and clearly lynch loves it. i'm not complaining. also kind of weird that the episodes take on a talk show format - all the content up front, band plays over the credits. i would say i wonder if we'll ever actually spend time at the bar, but obviously based on albert's last line, we're headed straight there next episode to see audrey.