MST3K returns to TV!!!

if only for a day...
LAtimes wrote:'Mystery Science Theater 3000' guys return for April Fool's on NatGeo

It's been a few years since "Mystery Science Theater 3000" went off the air, but on April Fool's Day, the "MST3K" trio of Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett will be back on TV. But instead of mocking cheesy old genre films, they'll be tackling National Geographic Channel's own programming.

"Total Riff Off" is NatGeo's April 1 special event featuring three hours of clips from their shows, including "Honey Badgers," "Unlikely Animal Friends," "Man v. Monster," "Swamp Men" and "Alpha Dogs" among others. Nelson, Murphy and Corbett will provide the wisecracks.

The event has been broken up into three hour-long episodes, titled "Killer Shrimp N' Friends," "Demon Bat" and "Guy and a Goose."

"Mystery Science Theater 3000" ended in 1999, but in 2006, Nelson began RiffTrax, an online source of commentaries on a wide variety of films, not necessarily low budget sci-fi flicks. Murphy and Corbett soon joined him and they have recorded commentaries for such big budget films as "The Avengers" and "The Hunger Games." Unlike the old "MST3K" episodes, these tracks are sold independent of films themselves.

While the cast of "MST3K's" later years has been doing RiffTrax, the show's creator, Joel Hodgson, has been doing something similar called "Cinematic Titanic" with other former contributors to "MST3K" including Trace Beaulieu and Frank Coniff.
given how ridiculous their shows are, this could be amazing.

Re: MST3K returns to TV!!!

Maybe it turns into a regular gig? I mean, on many levels these guys invented modern media mockery, they deserve more than a podcast.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Shadows on the bottom of the screen have to be in the budget, right? I never gave a crap about the set segments anyway.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Shadows on the bottom of the screen have to be in the budget, right? I never gave a crap about the set segments anyway.
this. i'd say a good deal more than half of them were painful for me, filler to get to two hours (with commercials).

I wondered how they were using the MST3K characters without being sued by Jim Mallon. Looks like it's another case of the press misreporting what's happening. It's not MST3K coming back, just Rifftrax on TV. Still worth watching.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

watched the first episode of the new season last night. really could do without the long-ass intro, but the riffing was incredible. only one lull in the middle, the rest of the time it was non-stop, machine gun riffs. had to rewind many times from laughing so hard i missed the jokes. didn't hurt that the movie itself was hilariously awful - reptilicus. so great. looking forward to watching a couple more today.

I thought the off theater stuff was pretty solid for what it was (and compared to what it used to be), and the in theater stuff was great, felt just like old times.

Alexhead wrote:felt just like old times.
Yep! And nice to see that Joel wasn't afraid to embrace elements from the era when he was gone, including SciFi. Seeing Bobo again almost brought a tear to my eye.
Just cut them up like regular chickens