Re: The Hateful Eight

The use of hip hop in Django was pretty embarrassing. Yes, I know it was intentionally anachronistic. Don't care.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I actually like the first two-thirds quite a bit, up until
both Waltz and DiCaprio exit the picture
. Then it completely falls apart.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Quentin needs to come up with something uniquely clever or touching or, I dunno, something to get me to buy into yet another revenge fantasy. I thought he really stuck the landing with Inglorious Basterds, and didn't really find anything special to do with a slave revenge story, aside from blow himself up. But I do agree that getting rid of the two best characters in the movie (I think it's late enough in the day to do away with spoiler tags) leaves a pretty bland blood-soaked third act.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Anyway, with regard to Hateful Eight, I don't have any expectations — but do hope QT at least makes good use of Kurt Russell and Walton Goggins.

I'm actually looking forward to this one, I expect it'll be gorgeous and it does have a great cast.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

hateful_eight_ver4_xxlg.jpg
as for the trailer, take sam jackson out of it and it feels entirely different. he's not even trying to modify his speech pattern to anything resembling late 1800's. given that trailer, he's what takes me out of it. don't get me wrong, i'll still be seeing it, just maybe wish they would have broken up by now. him & his credit card commercials.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well he is of course a hugely repetitive filmmaker--don't know what exactly the revenge narrative is here, but you can be damn sure they'll be one--but sometimes it works to good effect (Inglorious Basterds was a recent favorite for me), sometimes not (Django). I'll wait to see what the reviews are like.

Much as we all love Samuel, he's kind of entered the self parody phase of his career. Maybe he's been there for a while now.

Alexhead wrote:Much as we all love Samuel, he's kind of entered the self parody phase of his career. Maybe he's been there for a while now.
One could almost argue that everything he's done since Pulp Fiction has been a self parody. But certainly by the time he got to Snakes on a Plane that was the official turning point.
Just cut them up like regular chickens