Re: The Hateful Eight

Oh come on, that's not what they mean. They mean the purchase price if you were to purchase it today, its market value. But they are arguing that the value of the guitar transcended its commercial value, probably true... although hardly Tarantino's fault. I'm all for using real props in films, last year we used a 1590s Geneva bible in its original binding, luckily we didn't destroy it :)

Re: The Hateful Eight

re-watched this last weekend. watched the "extended version" on Netflix, which is divided into four episodes. fascinating that the film really does lend itself to this format. the divisions fall into a natural place. really makes it seems like QT had this in mind all along. only goofy thing was they put the full credits/intro on each episode, which ranges from 4-7+ minutes. thankfully, netflix has a "skip intro" button pop up, as they are all the same, but that feels like really unnecessary for episodes 2-4. title card would have sufficed. as for the content, i believe it's identical to the 70mm roadshow version, which i saw in theaters. once again, i loved it. it's really so great. i think sam's speech goading bruce dern it the one spot that's pretty over the top ridiculous, in that it essentially took his current-day diction and speech patterns and replaced some words with more period-accurate words. i understand that was the entire point of it, but if not for that segment, i would have stayed in it completely. still, i accept it for what it is - QT being meta, which is kind of his thing. speaking of "thing", a lot of this film also feels like QT making his version of The Thing. granted, not remotely in the sci-fi way, but the setting and situation feel extremely familiar. EM score certainly underscores that. it's a really fun film, i really dig it. and again felt like way too little tim roth. walton goggins is a treasure.