Re: Marvel/Netflix series

TC wrote:i kind of hate foggy too, but i also kind of love him. i thought the middle episodes of S2 were really kind of slow and out of place. they gave you no indication that there was going to be a way it all tied together. when it does, it certainly picks up. i do have lots of unanswered questions but am really stoked now for S3. mid-S2, i was worried.
Classic case of episode sprawl. Walking Dead's the worst, but Netflix shows often have filler. Seems strange to me, wouldn't they save money and build prestige by cutting the fat and doing 8 episodes instead of 10 if that's all the damn story you have to tell?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Finished Luke Cage S2 finally. Typical Netflix series that's about four or five episodes longer than it needed to be. I was into it until about episode 7, then it started to lose my attention.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

You're a braver soul than I. We are just watching the first one or two episodes of these serialzed shows and walking away. Been enjoying a bit of Black Mirror since it's stand alones. I want more of those, I think.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Jessica Jones was pretty good. Punisher was pretty good. Daredevil S1 was good. The rest of the Netflix shows have been kind of meh. Crazy that the best Marvel TV show is Cloak and Dagger on Freeform, a network that caters to teens and the YA crowd.

Glad they're bringing Kingpin back. Season two really suffered from the lack of a good bad guy.

I made it through three episodes of Iron Fist season two. It's much better than season one. Not tons, but watchable. I'll probably finish it off when I have more time.

I saw somewhere that Iron Fist S2 was one of the best Marvel series, but we fired up the opening battle and it seemed like more of the same dreck--badly coreographed and shot fight scene, sub par acting, etc. I will always watch Daredevil though, and yes, more Wilson Fisk is always a good thing.

DD S3 was fucking perfect. everything about it was right on point. it had everything i loved about daredevil, and the few things i didn't, in perfect balance. the early episodes were a little preachy, but that's where matt's head was i suppose. this is the series DD was meant to be. not that i didn't love the other two, but this is perfection in comic book to tv translation. technically speaking, i still have no idea how they filmed some of those scenes. the fight in the cube farm was outstanding.

Sounds like I need to catch up and get to Daredevil. Also RIP Luke Cage. I kind of half wonder if Marvel isn't trying to raise the renewal fees on this so high so they'll be cancelled and run on their streaming service instead.

oh, we nailed a show? perfect time to cancel it:
BMD wrote:Welp, Netflix Just Cancelled DAREDEVIL
In which the Man Without Fear becomes the Man Without A TV Show.

Last month, Netflix pulled the plug on Iron Fist and Luke Cage, a move many of us considered unfortunate but not terribly surprising (especially in the case of Iron Fist, woof). Now, just weeks later, it's dropped the hammer on Daredevil, the MCU series that started it all. Pretty shocking!

Said the network in a statement to Deadline:

“Marvel’s Daredevil will not return for a fourth season on Netflix. We are tremendously proud of the show’s last and final season and although it’s painful for the fans, we feel it best to close this chapter on a high note. We’re thankful to showrunner Erik Oleson, the show’s writers, stellar crew and incredible cast including Charlie Cox as Daredevil himself, and we’re grateful to the fans who have supported the show over the years. While the series on Netflix has ended, the three existing seasons will remain on the service for years to come, while the Daredevil character will live on in future projects for Marvel.”

That bit about Daredevil living on in future Marvel projects will certainly get tongues wagging. Might the Man Without Fear get another crack at the silver screen? Might he appear in a retooled series on Disney's new streaming service? We don't know, but you're free to speculate along with us in the comments below.

In the meantime: Jessica Jones and The Punisher, both of which have performed well with Marvel fans, remain uncancelled by Netflix. We'd say that both of 'em seem safe, but we also would've said that about Daredevil if you'd asked us half an hour ago.

Anyway, this is surely depressing news for viewers who stuck with Daredevil during its three-season run. Feel free to mourn its passing below, and stay tuned for further updates on the fates of Netflix's other Marvel shows as they become available.

Seems like Netflix is closing out all the Marvel shows. Viewing numbers have been going down for them, so it's not too surprising I guess. It'd be nice if they'd find a home on the new Disney streaming service, but I'm skeptical. It seems like they're throwing their lot in with shows more directly tied to the films.

ugh.
/film wrote:Marvel Netflix Shows Are Restricted From Moving to Disney+ For 2 Years

If you were hoping Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the rest of the Marvel Netflix shows might be migrating over to Disney+, I have some bad news. The shows are prohibited from moving to any other service for at least two years following cancellation, which means should Disney+ want to bring any of these series over, they wouldn’t be able to do so until at least 2020.

When Iron Fist, Luke Cage and then Daredevil were cancelled by Netflix, many – including this very site! – theorized that they might be destined to end up on Disney+, the Disney streaming service set to debut in 2019. But that’s not the case. At least, not for a while. According to Variety, the overall deal for the Marvel Netflix shows included a clause that “prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation.”

Since all three shows were cancelled this year, that would prohibit Disney+ from reviving them until at least 2020. And as the clause states, not only can Disney+ not reboot the shows, they can’t even use the characters. Meaning if Disney wanted to create a brand-new Daredevil show for Disney+, they’d still have to wait two full years.

And they might have to wait even longer if Netflix wanted to get really spiteful about things. The original deal involved the original four Marvel Netflix shows – Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist – culminating in the miniseries The Defenders. The Defenders was never given a second season, and by all accounts, was intended to be a one-and-done event. But if Netflix wanted to really stick it to Disney+, they could potentially order another series of The Defenders, bringing all the characters back. This would in effect extend that two-year deadline even longer. Of course, that’s pure speculation on my part, and it’s not even clear if Netflix could order Defenders season 2 if they wanted to at this point.

Meanwhile, Netflix still has Jessica Jones, which will debut its third season on the streaming service sometime in 2019, and The Punisher, which drops its season 2 in January. The Punisher was not part of the original deal, so it’s unclear where that character stands should Netflix decide to give the show the boot. Obviously, this is bad news for fans holding out hope of seeing the cancelled shows reborn over on Disney+. Everyone will have to make due with all the other original content the Disney streaming service is creating.

Rumors circulating that Hulu may pick up some of the cancelled Netflix Marvel shows. Hulu has a new deal with Marvel, which makes sense given that after the Fox merger Disney will own 60% of Hulu. The animated series were the first of this, but there's a lot of talk now that they may visit some of Netflix's shows when the 2 year limit wears off.