Re: Better Call Saul!

I think the three of us all had the same reaction. I'll stick with it until Vince and Co. screw something up.
Did not see Tuco's appearance coming. Somehow the publicity mill kept that a secret.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

The "dead air" I think you're referring to was the best thing about it. The opening was rather dull and pointless if you haven't seen the first series. But then it gets going with the court room scene. Yeah... Entertaining enough. But not a patch on Black Sails, that's what you folks need to be watching.

klimov wrote:The "dead air" I think you're referring to was the best thing about it. The opening was rather dull and pointless if you haven't seen the first series. But then it gets going with the court room scene. Yeah... Entertaining enough. But not a patch on Black Sails, that's what you folks need to be watching.
Yeah, you kind of need to go watch Breaking Bad before your comments will hold much weight, no offense.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Yeah, you kind of need to go watch Breaking Bad before your comments will hold much weight, no offense.
You shouldn't have to watch a completely different series to be able to judge this one.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Yeah, they've got to make this one accessible to folks who haven't seen the earlier series. Episode Two was much more fun, don't you think? Although I would say they glamorised the drug dealer scum a little too much.

Sure--but you'll never have the complete picture without it, nor will you have the unique tonal context of BB to compare it to.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Hmm, after watching the second episode I feel more strongly about my comment above than before--this is BB lite, already seems to have been done better by the same folks before. But you wouldn't know that if you hadn't seen BB, of course.

3rd episode was the best so far, they are getting their footing on the story they've been setting up.

So Gilligan advocates, what do you reckon to his other new show, Battle Creek? Rather 'Twin Peaks-lite' is it not? The sort of thing one might have expected to see in the mid-90s... Actually 90s-retro-style shows seem to be the new thing, what with this and The Odd Couple and Hindsight, which is actually set in the 90s.

Trends always go in 20 year cycles as the children of those years realize they're grown adults and get nostalgic for their simpler youth. So the '90s are back now. I don't mind, the '90s were some pretty damn good years for me for the most part. And I'm highly enjoying the re-emergence of female bare midriffs. :)

darkness wrote:Trends always go in 20 year cycles as the children of those years realize they're grown adults and get nostalgic for their simpler youth. So the '90s are back now. I don't mind, the '90s were some pretty damn good years for me for the most part. And I'm highly enjoying the re-emergence of female bare midriffs. :)
I didn't realize midriffs were back, that's awesome. Haven't watched Battle Creek yet, will give it a gander tonight. We watched the first two episodes of Last Man On Earth yesterday, Will Forte is kind of a charisma black hole but the addition of Kristen Schall in the second episode gave a hint of promise.

Yeah, I quite liked Last Man on Earth. It's silly and disposable and yet quite memorable in an odd sort of way (usually this stuff just goes in one ear and out the other). Creatively, one would expect it to build up to an epic comedy fuck scene, but I'm really not sure Fox are going to be up for that.

klimov wrote:So Gilligan advocates, what do you reckon to his other new show, Battle Creek? Rather 'Twin Peaks-lite' is it not? The sort of thing one might have expected to see in the mid-90s... Actually 90s-retro-style shows seem to be the new thing, what with this and The Odd Couple and Hindsight, which is actually set in the 90s.
We finally pulled this up last night...truly bizarre. You have a Vince Gilligan penned pilot, directed by Bryan Singer (not my favorite but still, a competent, successful Hollywood filmmaker with a blockbuster to his credit just this past year) but it has been put through the CBS genericlookandfeel-o-mator and simply looks and feels like another CSI spinoff. Bland casting (sorry, but the Mayhem dude from the commercials can't really act) and that washed out/green tint that makes everything look like crap. Won't be revisiting unless future reviews are through the roof, as I don't think Gilligan's presence is going to be very large on this anyway.

Enjoy it while you can, it's certain to be canceled.
As for Better Call Saul, last week's episode was intense. Probably the best of the series so far. Which doesn't say much for Saul since he was hardly in it.

The Saul episodes are piling up on my DVR. Watched the pilot but the wife and I have since been plowing through the complete run of Parks and Rec (which we may finish this weekend). And I've been keeping up with Justified, The Walking Dead and, uh, *cough* The Bachelor as well.

Ahem.

Yes. The wife and I watch The Bachelor (and The Bachelorette, and Bachelor in Paradise). It's entertaining. Sue us. I've been thinking of starting a thread called Turn In Your Man Card. Thoughts? 8)
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Yup, last episode was pretty strong.

Have been saying this again and again, but - Black Sails. Best thing on TV right now, Walking Dead a close second. Better Call Saul vying with American Crime for third.

klimov wrote:Walking Dead a close second. Better Call Saul vying with American Crime for third.
Walking Dead has been surprisingly interesting lately. I guess I should check out American Crime one of these days. Black Sails - pirates just don't interest me.
O-dot wrote:I've been thinking of starting a thread called Turn In Your Man Card. Thoughts? 8)
I confess I'm a fan of Revenge, though they need to end it with this season as it's pretty much run it's course.