Evil Dead [2013]

well, i'm not sure if:

a) this is ED4;
b) this is the ED remake; or
c) raimi forgot what he had planned originally

but here we go... after rumors last week, it appears this is really happening.
shocktilyoudrop wrote:Alvarez on the Evil Dead Remake, Campbell Cameo

Bruce Campbell will have a cameo in the recently announced remake of The Evil Dead.

While that's all I'm sure you'd like to hear about the redo, there's more.

Director Federico Alvarez confirmed the Campbell cameo and discussed more about his vision for the film which is presently being re-written by Diablo Cody. "We are going to change the characters and some story details, while keeping the basic outline of friends who are beleaguered by demons in a cabin alone," he said, adding, "We're going to honor the original film along with the existing fans and hope to bring in a new audience as well."
no raimi, no ash.. well, i guess we don't know yet if his cameo is ashley williams yet or not, but this doesn't sound like it. this just seems like such a bad idea. what really baffles me - look at the comments in the link. the first one: "Yes!!!!! Too excited!! I feel good about this remake!"

to put it bluntly - why?

Re: Evil Dead IV!!!

The director got the gig supposedly because of this short that caught Raimi's eye:

Raimi's Ghost House is distributing it and I think he's at least an executive producer on it, so this all goes forward with his blessing. But still, yeah, fuck remakes, do a new one. Or do something else.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Here's a synopsis, which sounds more or less like the original movie:
Five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin where they discover a Book Of The Dead and unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival.
There is, however, a twist, and it's all about drugs:
The "new spin" is the motivation behind the trip, with the lead character taking his younger sister to the family's cabin to help her kick her drug addiction. Without her drugs she becomes insane and difficult to control, which makes it impossible to see that she's actually possessed.

an "insider" reports thusly:
from what our contact tells us it's much more akin to "The Shining". And after hearing the story and getting a good grasp on the tone they're going for here, I'm convinced it'll be a no-laugh zone this one. The redo plays it a lot more serious. These aren't cartoonish heroes like Bruce Campbell's Ash was in the original films, these are real folks with real world problems. And by golly are they in for some scary — not at all amusing — shit.

um....
THR wrote:Sam Raimi Sues Over Rights to 'Evil Dead' Sequel
New dispute illustrates why directors and producers in Hollywood should be careful about saying they'll NEVER do a sequel.

A fight has broken out over who has rights to do a new sequel of the 198os horror classic The Evil Dead.

Renaissance Pictures, formed in 1979 by producer-director Sam Raimi, producer Robert Tapert and actor-producer Bruce Campbell for the purpose of making the first film, is suing Award Pictures, which says it plans to make a fourth film in the series. This potential coming film allegedly is interfering with Raimi's plan to make his own sequel for Sony Pictures and FilmDistrict.

But Award Pictures isn't laying down. The company is using Raimi's comment in a 2000 book that he would never do a sequel as proof that the "Evil Dead" trademark was abandoned. The company now says it is the primary trademark holder of the film title.

The lawsuit could be a warning to all those in Hollywood who attempt to lower expectations among fans and the media for a sequel to a cult hit.

Released in 1983, the original Evil Dead was about a group of five friends who travel to a cabin in the woods where they find an ancient Sumerian text that summons evil spirits when spoken aloud. Made for less than $500,000, it has grossed more than $29 million and often is cited as one of the best horror movies of all time. Plus, it still plays in theaters: A midnight showing is scheduled at the Landmark Sunshine Cinema in New York City.

A 1987 sequel also was a hit, and a third film in 1993 was a modest success with $11.5 million in revenue.

Renaissance says in its lawsuit that fans "have long been eager for another installment," and Raimi finally announced last year he would co-write and co-produce a remake of the original. Shortly before the announcement, Renaissance went to the U.S. Trademark Office to register the mark.

One problem.

After Renaissance did so, an objection was filed by Award Pictures, which says it has been preparing its own Evil Dead film. The company says that Renaissance's hold on "Evil Dead" was abandoned and thus, Award Pictures should be deemed as being a prior user.

In an effort to show abandonment, Award Pictures points to comments attributed to Tapert and Raimi in the 2000 book, The Evil Dead Companion: "Ha," said Rob and Sam. "We're never going to do a sequel."

"This statement is a public declaration by the defendant that the defendant abandoned the alleged 'mark,' Evil Dead, decades ago," says Award Pictures in papers to the USPTO's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

Award Pictures goes on to say that even if Evil Dead was a valid mark upon the release of the first film, the sequels can't be counted as continued use because they were both "works for hire" and "single works." Additionally, the company points to 20 other motion pictures that have used Evil Dead within their title over the years, saying that Renaissance has exhibited "uncontrolled, unregulated and undefended use of Evil Dead." Finally, Award says Renaissance's purported trademark claims constitute a defrauding of others in the entertainment industry.

Renaissance struck back this week with a lawsuit against Award Pictures, saying it indeed has used its mark, for example licensing Evil Dead video games, dolls, clothing, memorabilia, comic books, etc.

According to the lawsuit, "As a result of Renaissance's use of the Evil Dead mark and the cult success of the films and related products, the Evil Dead mark has acquired enormous value, has become famous among the relevant consuming public and motion picture trade and is recognized as identifying and distinguishing Renaissance exclusively and uniquely as the source of goods sold and services provided under the Evil Dead mark."

Renaissance says Award Pictures' planned film entitled Evil Dead 4: Consequences, is intended to cause confusion to consumers and that the key plot elements and character names "would inevitably infringe Renaissance's copyright rights in The Evil Dead."

Alleging trademark infringement, false advertising and injury to business reputation, Renaissance is asking for an injunction against further infringement and further monetary damages.

and raimi takes this round:
THR wrote:Sam Raimi Blocks Unauthorized 'Evil Dead' Sequel
A judge orders an injunction after defendant film company loses financing and has trouble paying lawyers to contest in time.

Sam Raimi has prevailed in his effort to stop a production company from releasing an unauthorized sequel to his horror classic trilogy series The Evil Dead.

In May, Renaissance Pictures, formed in 1979 by Raimi, producer Robert Tapert and actor-producer Bruce Campbell for the purpose of making the first film, sued Award Pictures, which was in the midst of making Evil Dead 4: Consequences. The movie was alleged to be interfering with Raimi's plan to make his own sequel for Sony Pictures and FilmDistrict.

After the lawsuit was filed, Award Pictures and its president Glenn MacCrae failed to respond in court.

MacCrae tells THR he still plans to challenge, but because of the non-responsiveness thus far in court, a California federal court last week entered a default judgment that permanently enjoins Award Pictures from using the "Evil Dead" trademark or using marketing materials that might confuse the public into believing that Award has rights to the title.

The fight over "Evil Dead" rights erupted in part because of Rami's ambivalence until late.

In preparing Evil Dead 4: Consequences, Award Pictures went to the trademark office and argued that since Rami's first film came out in 1981, his company exhibited a lack of control over it, allowing it to be used as titles in 20 other motion pictures. Additionally, Award pointed to Raimi's comment in a 2000 book that he would never do a sequel as proof that the "Evil Dead" trademark was abandoned.

Renaissance challenged that assessment in a federal lawsuit.

Rami's company then attempted to put proceedings at a trademark trial board on hiatus pending the outcome of the civil lawsuit. Award objected, saying that it was having difficulty finding legal represention to defend the claims in federal court because IP lawyers were asking for tens of thousands of dollars in retainer fees to handle the case.

Award said that paying lawyers wouldn't be a problem if Renaissance hadn't interfered wtih Evil Dead 4: Consequences. Until then, MacCrae's company purportedly had a multi-million dollar financing deal with Anchor Bay, which was "destroyed" by "fraudulent claims of ownership of the rights to The Evil Dead."

Regardless, the inability to retain a lawyer in time to answer Renaissance's lawsuit paved the way for a judge's decision to grant by default a permanent injunction.

MacCrae now says he has hired a lawyer and that his company "is very definitely contesting Renaissance’s lawsuit," but the question is whether it comes too late. The fight might continue, but for now, Raimi has gained the clear advantage and succeeded in getting a court order that curtails Consequences. Meanwhile, Raimi has wrapped production on another Evil Dead film that he didn't direct but produced with others.

Well this Award group sounds like a bag of (small) dicks, glad to see Raimi and Co. stick it to them.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

well... it shows promise. i'll give it that. but i also remember how much the thing remake sucked. they've sort of rolled moments of the first two films up into one and spread ashley's character around to at least a couple different roles here. from the trailer, forgetting for a moment that this a remake and imagining seeing it for the first time - i would absolutely go see this. but the fact that they're monkeying with one of my favorite films is a huge turn-off. see: robocop.

Some footage screened at the BNAT fest down in Austin:

I'm bummed we couldn't get to see the whole movie - due to some inside baseball politics BNAT was not able to show the movie in its entirety - but know this: I am freakishly excited for this now. The footage we saw involved a young woman, possessed by the demons in the NECRONOMICON EX MORTIS, which we get to see in detail - as she wounds herself in the face in a most gruesome manner. As a young man tries to stop her, he gets a bit of nasty business straight into his eye, and the audience screamed as he pulled a broken syringe needle out of the bottom of his eyelids. It was spectacularly gory, hardcore, and so utterly completely EVIL DEAD - down to the crazy-ass Raimiesque camera angles - that fans who are being reluctant to embrace this should put aside their misgivings. From this one scene alone, I was utterly convinced. EVIL DEAD is going to kick unholy amounts of ass.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59937

TC wrote: they kept all the blood that's for sure!
I said "Holy shit" and "Jesus!" about a half-dozen times watching it. An unexpectedly compelling trailer.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.