Re: Star Wars Episode VII

for you guys that didn't like it - i don't understand this. i mean, you saw the prequels, right? this movie seems like the best possible outcome for a star wars film today to me. a huge accomplishment given what lucas has given us over the last two decades. what would you have liked?

TC wrote:wait, what?
I liked The Force Awakens more the second time I saw it. Saw it on Friday and on Sunday. I too don't really get the hate, it's a fun ride, which is really all Star Wars ever has been out there in cinema land. Good humor, good action, good effects, good villains, this one had all those things, I am completely delighted by it. And just to reconfirm I'm not (just) a drooling fanboy I watched Solaris the same day I saw TFA, enjoyed it greatly on its own merits too. Enjoy things for what they are.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:
I liked The Force Awakens more the second time I saw it. Saw it on Friday and on Sunday. I too don't really get the hate, it's a fun ride, which is really all Star Wars ever has been out there in cinema land. Good humor, good action, good effects, good villains, this one had all those things, I am completely delighted by it. And just to reconfirm I'm not (just) a drooling fanboy I watched Solaris the same day I saw TFA, enjoyed it greatly on its own merits too. Enjoy things for what they are.
oh, ok - this makes sense. i completely mis-read you - thought you were saying that people were overly sour on phantom menace and that you liked it. i personally can't wait to see TFA again (and, probably, again) too.

TPM essentially has the same underlying plot as your average night of C-SPAN with some nascar thrown in. he has no room to bitch. his "don't you know who i am" card ran out in the early '80s re: talent. much respect to lucas the businessman.

Someone at Disney must have some leverage over George and spanked him, as now he's issued an official apology (via Disney):
George Lucas wrote:I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize. I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of Star Wars because of my great respect for the company and Bob Iger’s leadership. Disney is doing an incredible job of taking care of and expanding the franchise. I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions in film, television and the parks.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

HAHAHAHAHA wow. what an about-face. he needs to realize, like a band-aid - off quick and in the trash. you sold your baby, now it's their property, not yours. shut your fucking face. if you hadn't hosed up the prequel trilogy so badly, maybe you still own it.

Alexhead wrote:
I agree with this. My wife and I saw it first and decided it was OK for our 8-year-old, and then we took him to see it. Lucky for my wife, she wound up sitting next to our son and had to withstand the barrage of non-stop questions. More than once I heard her say, "Just watch the movie!!" Haha, I sat through that with 5 of the other Star Wars movies (he hasn't seen Ep3 yet), so it was her turn.

But I thought the movie held up well on the second viewing. People complain about all these plot holes, but they really aren't bad. Certainly nothing like the truckload of questions I had at the end of Prometheus for example. My unanswered questions feel like things they deliberately kept hidden to be revealed in future movies. Prometheus was just sloppy writing that left you with tons of wwwhhhhyyyy questions. The pacing of TFA was good, I liked the characters, it was funny at times, good action scenes... It was very Star Wars and the prequels were not. I'm excited to see where it goes from here.