Re: the Star Wars mega-thread

whatever dude. star wars had a terrible cast, wooden writing, wasn't shot particularly greatly, yet became a huge part of many people's lives over the years. those shortcomings were eventually forgiven at worst and endearing at best. it's goddamn star wars. yes, TFA had its issues, R1 had issues, but again - it's star wars. the ONLY reason we are talking about these issues is that they had a chance to do better. a couple of them so far, in fact. and they blew it by making "just" another star wars movie. we hoped for better because we love it and were raped by E1-E3.

"just" another star wars movie is still better than most recent movies.

"It's Star Wars", lol. The first one was very imaginative and well made actually, with cutting edge special effects. Casting was strong too - Harrison Ford only went on to become the biggest star of his generation, and of course Alec Guiness' performance is iconic.

I still maintain that R1 is far worse than any of the prequels.

klimov wrote:"It's Star Wars", lol. The first one was very imaginative and well made actually, with cutting edge special effects. Casting was strong too - Harrison Ford only went on to become the biggest star of his generation, and of course Alec Guiness' performance is iconic.

I still maintain that R1 is far worse than any of the prequels.
Tell me again how the first one was imaginative? It's the Tarantino of the 70's, borrowing/stealing/taking inspiration from everything that has come before it and putting it all into a shiny new box. Not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, but still – that is what Star Wars was and has always been.

Finding new ways of combining and developing existing ideas - this is what every artist does, Marcus.

Fisher was fine, Hamill a bit rubbish but you can't win them all can you. The prequels were deeply flawed, especially the last one, but R1 is just a nonentity, standard tentpole that'll be completely forgotten in a few years.

Granted I'm not a huge fan to begin with but I've been burned before with people talking up Star Wars movies. Seemed like the vibe around TFA was that it was awesome, and I found it completely boring and lazy. Is this just a continuation of that or more of a proper film?

TFA was a remake of ANH. after that i was like, "sure, ok. it's fine. it was complete fan service and apology for the prequels. now that's out of the way, i hope they can move on and hatch original ideas, tell new stories, develop new and interesting characters." they did.

if i had to rank them, i'd say: 8, original version of 5, first 2/3 of original version of 6, original version of 4, everything else.

The new Star Wars pulls off the trick of being very Star Wars, yet tearing down a lot of Star Wars at the same time. It constantly rewards yet confounds expectations. It's quite a trick, and I understand why some fans are incensed. It is in many ways the most daring Star Wars movie since Empire, or maybe even A New Hope.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:The new Star Wars pulls off the trick of being very Star Wars, yet tearing down a lot of Star Wars at the same time. It constantly rewards yet confounds expectations. It's quite a trick, and I understand why some fans are incensed. It is in many ways the most daring Star Wars movie since Empire, or maybe even A New Hope.
i don't understand, at all. i think people that are pissed at it never really understood star wars. maybe they latched onto something that was never really there, really liked the prequels, or refuse to admit they read way more into things than lucas ever intended. in any case, this film make the "evil" "real", not some weird archaic thing that is untouchable. it forces you to relate to the "evil" and maybe that makes some people uncomfortable. or the fact that this film certainly reflects our time, in that it essentially shows there's no reason for religion or antique ideas anymore. let all that go and realize what really matters. no "midochloreans" or whatever here. i would love to go see it again, actually. i haven't done that with a SW film since 1983.

i know there's a lot of internet to fill, but it's weird that no one talked about solo here. i finally saw it over the weekend. man was that a snooze-fest. first half or so i was into it. or maybe i was giving it the benefit of the doubt. second half i was nodding off in parts. i don't know, it was ok at best. the lando stuff was fucking fantastic, as expected, but was a very small part of this. it was fine. i'll probably watch it again at some point. it just felt really unnecessary. like, sure - make these stand-alone stories when you are done making SW films. but cramming them all together is a pretty transparent cash grab. all i know is that the script and troubles must've been pretty bad if ron howard can't swoop in and make this a sure thing.

I still haven't made time for SOLO yet — maybe this weekend? I'm curious to give it a look; people whom I might have expected to hate it were actually quite enthusiastic, and vice versa.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I actually enjoyed it. Solo and Rogue One are the best of the recent SW films. A friend of mine totally swore off SW after The Last Jedi, but I told him he might actually like Solo. He ended up seeing it because his girlfriend wanted to go, and he was also pleasantly surprised by it. The box office just got crushed by all the news of the director switch and reshoots plus the backlash against the crappy TLJ.