Re: Star Wars Episode VII

That would be cruel, but the rumors are out there about Luke (I always hear he was into incest but they never proved anything). Pretty sure Adam Driver is officially cast as that character though.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

New character posters:
12189959_1049567135094887_4552249694914008809_n.jpg
CS-5pr2VEAAym21.jpg
CS_DJA-WsAAKeo3.jpg
CS-4-ePWoAEKd2w.jpg
CS-5iZCWEAAsNGp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Lucas on The Force Awakens:
I think the fans are going to love it. It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.
So in other words, not the kind of film he would have made, one people might actually enjoy. I feel better about it already.

At least he's being relatively magnanimous, although the implication that maybe his prequels were a little smarter or something is kind of lurking in the comment too.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:At least he's being relatively magnanimous, although the implication that maybe his prequels were a little smarter or something is kind of lurking in the comment too.
I kind of feel like the whole thing is a pissing match lurking back and forth between Abrams and Lucas. That comic con reel was a pretty big fuck you to Lucas without outright saying it. Now every comment I see Lucas saying about Star Wars has that underlying snark that his films were too good for masses to appreciate and these will be dumbed down for them to like. Which is rich coming from the person who gave us Jar Jar.

Exactly. I mean I get his general comments about this being a difficult divorce, it's his life's work that's been handed over to others to do better, of course that chaps him. But he's getting chapped for a cool 4 bil, and there are many, many legitimate criticisms of his prequels that he's never adequately addressed, so at this point I'm fine with the guys who grew up on his stuff taking the reigns. They are smart enough to include plenty of sociopolitical subtext, and probably do a much better job with character arcs, dialogue and payoffs than he did in I-III.

wasn't it coppola that said it's a shame that lucas was so tied to star wars? meaning, he was unable to spend his life continuing to develop his "skills" - everything had to be about star wars. to both of them i say that's very lazy. it's perfectly doable to continue to grow within the confines of a particular genre while not pandering to the audience, if you are willing to try. lazy. so if he's bitter, fuck him. how about you just go away and do something new that proves us all wrong?

Alexhead wrote:Probably because he can't afford it.
Coppola or Lucas? One of them is literally broke and one of them is only creatively bankrupt. Really I see the original trilogy as a fluke that had more to do with input from others than Lucas himself. Read some of those script drafts of the original trilogy and they're pretty awful - in a prequel kind of way really.

TC wrote:i haven't seen THX-1138 but have heard it's creative and well done. american graffiti is fine. so coppola may be right.
Lucas doesn't really like American Graffiti that much. He did it at the urging of his then wife and from Coppola who challenged him to try to make a movie that would have an connection with the audience. Read Easy Riders, Raging Bulls if you want to know Lucas' thoughts on film making which you really can see in the prequels. Basically he thinks people are stupid for wanting some sort of emotional connection with characters or plots. He flat out says he did American Graffiti just to show how easy it was to pander to audiences. This explains so much of why the prequels, which are all George, are so sterile.

I dunno, I've read and seen some much more charitable thoughts from Lucas on AG. Inspired a lot by his own teen years and and anthropological interest in mating rituals and a deep love of automobiles.

Alexhead wrote:I dunno, I've read and seen some much more charitable thoughts from Lucas on AG. Inspired a lot by his own teen years and and anthropological interest in mating rituals and a deep love of automobiles.
Maybe dislike is a strong word. But he certainly meant it as a fuck you to show how easily audiences are manipulated.

When are you guys seeing it? I've booked a seat at a 10 a.m. show a week from today for a plain vanilla 2-D showing.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

4pm on Friday with my two oldest kids on a fake IMAX screen, 3D, best I could do. The real IMAX screen near us is booked. And I'm not waiting.

I'm just not a believer in 3-D. I sprung for it on Fury Road and instantly regretted it.

The movie premiered last night. Where are the plot spoilers? I'm disappointed in the Internet. :-P
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.