Re: the Star Wars mega-thread

klimov wrote:Mike is right. TC, I have no idea how you can compare this mess to the original trilogy. The Force Awkens does what you are saying it does but this one - the four cardinal sins of the prequels, it commits them all: weak characterisation, lack of humour, over-reliance on action, over-reliance on CGI. Rogue One is a true heir to the prequel trilogy.
who's comparing? i said it follows the classic SW formula set in stone by the originals.

We have a title...
C23gmNXUAAEuQhC.jpg
Also, coming soon....
16265625_935286189907233_1663604614727542390_n.jpg
(okay, maybe not on that last one)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Tweet from LAT reporter just now:
On earnings call, Disney's Bob Iger said he saw "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" last week. It's "great," he says.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

lastjeditoys.jpg
This is the header for the new toys for Last Jedi. Looks like Rey has Luke's old lightsaber still, which makes sense as he probably has his green one. Still, I'm calling it now, Rey is Luke's daughter. That lightsaber has always been in the Skywalker family, so if she gets to keep it that means she's a Skywalker. Outside she could be Leia's daughter as that would still fit the family line, but having Leia cheat on Han sometime in the past is not a story Disney would likely approve, and abandoning her daughter and hiding the fact she had one from Han if it's his seems like a dick move Disney also wouldn't approve of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_Marcus_ wrote:Wait... Has anyone ever thought she WASN'T his daughter? This surely is a no-brainer?
Lots of people. There are theories that she's the daughter of everyone from Ben Kenobi to Han and Leia to Anakin Skywalker somehow. About the only one who hasn't been accused is Yoda. Luke does seem the obvious choice, thought if he's really trying to stick with the Jedi ways he wouldn't be out there fucking around. That's what got his dad into trouble in the first place. Though given how Star Wars can't seem to tell an original story these days, Luke hiding his kid so the forces of the dark side don't find her is probably the way to go. Wash, rinse, repeat. Kind of a dick move to not leave her with someone to watch over her though.

darkness wrote:. Luke does seem the obvious choice, thought if he's really trying to stick with the Jedi ways he wouldn't be out there fucking around. That's what got his dad into trouble in the first place.
Oh I think that's exactly what they're going to do, history repeated itself, he got impure (my guess is with Laura Dern), made Rey, and his Jedi Academy fell apart.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:history repeated itself, he got impure (my guess is with Laura Dern), made Rey, and his Jedi Academy fell apart.
I'll be extremely surprised if this ^^ isn't what's going to be portrayed.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Alexhead wrote: history repeated itself, he got impure (my guess is with Laura Dern), made Rey, and his Jedi Academy fell apart.
True. Laura Dern is always getting guys into trouble. Just ask Sailor and Jeffrey. That said, part of the whole women leading to downfall thing was a Lucas bit. His fear/hate of women after his divorce. After all, he actually had people die by throwing them into a giant vagina with teeth. I don't know if the new writers would necessarily have that same psychological issue. That said, they are just repeating stuff from the OT, so maybe.

klimov wrote:Which of these mugs is playing Solo? Should've got Chris Pratt.
The one in the center of course. I think Pratt has too many franchises as it is now between Jurassic and Marvel. Considering that Infinity Stone is filming right now as well, I don't see how he could do both.

... and that's Rogue One in the bag. Just like VII, it almost made me long for the prequels simply because they at least made me feel SOMETHING (mostly rage, anger and disgust but at least I felt something back then). These two new ones have been all fan-service and no actual advancement of the license what so ever. Another poor script with shallow, unlikeable characters. And just like with episode VII, they had one of my favorite asian martial artists in it and then failed to use him in any significant, bad-ass way.

Oh wait! I did have an emotion during this film. When I saw the Cushing/Fisher CGI. Which both sucked, tremendously. Totally distracting and completely unnecessary.

How long can Disney survive on hollow fan-service vehicles like this? Oh wait. Never mind, don't answer that.

Meh.

Yup, the CGI dummyheads are dire. And yup, Rogue One sucks generally. It's not just me, my son and his school friends, the target audience I guess, think its shit as well. And they get by just fine on Force Awakens (which I do actually like, I have to admit) and the prequels. Basically, it's not a Star Wars movie. It's a second rate 21st century tentpole dressed up as a Star Wars movie. Just blahblahblah shakeshake blah bang blah shake fizzle.

For a good recent Disney movie watch Moana, Clements & Musker at their best, displaying not just a bit of a Ghibli influence (fair enough I guess, given The Little Mermaid inspired Ponyo) + it has that v rare thing for a modern movie musical = good songs (robbed by La La Land...).

The worst thing about the CGI characters are that they totally do not need to be in the film to begin with. Why was it important to bring back Tarkin in this film at all? And why piss on Carrie Fishers legacy by having her in ONE shot, and then make that look so godawful?