Bates Motel [A&E]

THR wrote:A&E Goes Full Hitchcock in 'Bates Motel' Teaser Art
The upcoming "Psycho" prequel from "Lost's" Carlton Cuse reimagines the famed sign from the 1960 thriller.

A&E is going full Alfred Hitchcock for its Psycho prequel, Bates Motel.

The cable network has reimagined the haunting hotel sign for its upcoming series exploring Norman Bates' formative years.

From Lost's Carlton Cuse and Friday Night Lights' Kerry Ehrin, Bates Motel will explore Norman's relationship with his mother, Norma and offer a look at his backstory that helped forge the infamous serial killer.

"We are incredibly excited to start production on Bates Motel. We think our take on the Bates family will both be surprising and subvert expectations. We can't wait for people to check in," Cuse told The Hollywood Reporter of his take.

Oscar nominee Vera Farmiga stars as Norma Louise Bates, who has been described as a complicated, passionate and compelling woman who is smart, multidimensional and always capable of surprising people.

Hitchcock's 1960 thriller starred Anthony Perkins as Norman and was based on the 1969 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch. Janet Leigh co-starred as Marion Crane.

A&E will promote Bates, which bypassed the traditional pilot stage and was picked up straight to series, with the teaser art appearing on the back cover of the programs for this month's Creative Arts and Primetime Emmy Awards.
bates_motel_embed[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bates Motel [A&E]

well, a couple of these new posters are veeeeeeery nice looking...
bates_motel_ver2.jpg
bates_motel_ver3.jpg
bates_motel_ver4.jpg
bates_motel_ver5.jpg
bates_motel_ver6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So am I the only one that actually watched this last night? I do not see how this will continue for any length of time. The production value is good, everything looks to be period detail, and then they let you know that it's actually set in the modern day. A group of five high school hotties think Norman is the cutest guy to walk planet earth, drag him to a party and he almost gets some by, um, standing around. Certainly went R rated for its third act, and the nods to the movie (you know, outside of the identical looking sets and whatnot) are relentless to the point of being a little annoying. I read somewhere that it kind of goes along for a few episodes and then grabs your attention with the third episode's conclusion, but I don't think I'll make it that long. Just...fucking weird concept all around.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:Just...fucking weird concept all around.
It takes a good actress to sell a line like, "I'm sorry some dirtbag raped me."
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

so we completed a on-and-off two-week long marathon of the first season last week. have to say, it is actually pretty interesting. between this and hannibal, my "this is really not necessary"-o-meter was pegged, but i do like the effort to establish the place from whence norman came. solid acting from the principals, solid creepy vibe in the right points, light on the side-stories... i'm curious to see where this goes.

the hannibal comparison was obvious before they both started, but i believe hannibal was wildly successful and great TV while this was somewhat less so. still, i do feel that it earned a second season, but it better knock it out of the park.
bates_motel_ver8_xxlg.jpg

was way behind on this, finished S2 last night. pretty dark. cool to see exactly that point where he began transferring his actions to his mother, in his head. a well-done series. S3 could be a mess, if it gets renewed. we'll see.

bates_motel_ver11_xlg.jpg
i would love to recreate this poster with her. maybe we could hold the pose for hours while someone paints it.

ok guys, if you haven't been watching this show, i kind of get it. it's not your thing. too much high school stuff in between other stuff. HOWEVER...

i've been marathoning S3 the last few days, have 3 episodes left. holy fucking shit is this season good in every conceivable way. it's like an entirely different show. PLEASE WATCH THIS. just start with S3. there are only a couple things that come up that you might be confused about for a sec, but they get explained, mostly. S3 is stand-alone GREAT. dark, creepy as fuck, fantastic cinematography, music, acting, stories.... watch this show.

Might give it a go sometime.

Mr. Robot on USA Network is worth a look too. It's basically a remake of Fight Club, to the point that it'll be a major twist if
Christian Slater isn't in Elliot's head
. It's a bit reactionary at times, and polluted by annoying voiceovers, and in a way it's hard to know if it's actually any good or not until at least the first season is over. But it has a little bit more style and verve than your average show, especially when the showrunner is writing and directing as he did in episode 2.