Maniac [201x]

THR wrote:IFC Midnight Picks Up Elijah Wood Slasher Movie, 'Maniac'
A remake of William Lustig's 1980 movie of the same name, the film is told from a serial killer's point-of-view.

IFC Midnight has acquired North American rights to director Franck Khalfoun’s thriller Maniac, starring Elijah Wood.

In the remake of William Lustig’s 1980 movie of the same name about a serial killer, Wood will play the withdrawn owner of a mannequin store who becomes obsessed with a young artist, played by Nora Arnezeder. The entire movie is told from the killer’s point of view.

Thomas Langmann, Alexandre Aja, Gregory Levasseur and Lustig produced the project with Antoine de Cazotte, Daniel Delume, Andrew W. Garroni, Pavlina Hatoupis and Alix Taylor executive producing. The film premiered out of competition at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.

"Franck Khalfoun and Alexandre Aja have reteamed and are joined by Elijah Wood for a deeply disturbing remake of William Lustig's classic that will delight genre fans. We can't wait to bring this to audiences and look forward to working with La Petite Reine and Studio 37 who guided this film into the world,” Jonathan Sehring, president of Sundance Selects/IFC Films, said.

The deal was negotiated by Arianna Bocco, senior vp, acquisitions and productions, and Jeff Deutchman, director of acquisitions and productions, for Sundance Selects/IFC Films, with CAA and Carole Baraton of Wild Bunch on behalf of the filmmakers.

IFC Midnight is a sister label of IFC Films and Sundance Selects, and is owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc.
here's the NSFW red-band trailer:

[youtube][/youtube]

really, as crazy as it is to do a remake of this film, it looks pretty true to the original.

Re: Maniac [201x]

Will Elijah engage in extended conversations with what appears to be a man dressed up in a dog suit?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Will Elijah engage in extended conversations with what appears to be a man dressed up in a dog suit?
both one-word titles, both are essentially serial killer behavior.... hm, you may be onto something.

also: i fucking love wilfred.

finally caught this last night. extremely well done and violent. i thought it was a great refresh on the original material and wood was well cast. and a stellar soundtrack.