Re: Pacific Rim

I find it funny that you're bringing the hate on a tentpole that's a love letter to a foreign sci fi genre--not exactly another superhero reboot. Funny but not surprising. Wah wah wah. Hope Pacific Rim shows some staying power and enables Del Toro to get At The Mountains Of Madness made, that's really my angle in rooting for this one.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

So, quickly--story and character are pretty generic, but the fights are glorious. You can really see the money up on the screen, which you can't always say. Very fun flick. Hope it grows some legs. Not holding my breath for any kind of sequel, and the cache to make At The Mountains probably won't come from this, unfortunately, but I'm sure when all's said and done its worldwide gross will be fine.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

hilarious film. the "over the top-ness" starts at literally 15 seconds into the film. more action before the opening titles than most films in their entirety. this is as close to a pure mech robotech film as we will likely ever get. it's equal parts robotech, shogun warriors, godzilla vs <monster>, and top gun. it knows exactly what it is and revels in it. i think if you grew up in the late '70s-early/mid-'80s and don't like this, your childhood sucked.

Yep. Sad for Del Toro that this wasn't a hit in the U.S. I suspect the rest of the planet will be a little kinder.

Worldwide box office is close to the production budget at this point, US is at 80+ mil, they'll make their money back it appears. Took the kids to an IMAX 3D showing today and while its issues/limitations from a script standpoint continue to present themselves it's still pretty glorious from an action angle. And the whole movie is an action angle so I guess it's a win.

TC wrote:could have used more tittie?
Well shit, you can say that about any movie. Opens in China this week, which should easily push its worldwide box office to $300+ mil, which may be enough to generate a sequel. Not sure I really need one, but they could certainly go over the top with a few, say, pissed off Level 7 Kaijus coming back.

i was going to just skim that but then saw the first line: "The camera pans down through OCEAN DEBRIS to reveal what is either a DIMENSIONAL RIFT or the REGENCY ENTERPRISES LOGO". i LOL'd. now have to read it all.

We may actually get more Kaiju and Jaeger action, thanks to China:
EXCLUSIVE… UPDATED: I’ve just learned that momentum is building for a Pacific Rim sequel based on the international box office for the Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros summer tentpole. The latest development is the 3D sci-fi actioner’s Wednesday opening in China to a record-breaking $9M from an estimated 5,700 digital 3D screens, 117 digital 3D IMAX screens, and 22 China Giant Screen sites. That’s a new high for any Warner Bros release and 23% bigger than for any Harry Potter film including 3D Harry Potter 7B. Pacific Rim grossed a huge 70% of the Top Five market share there. This is after the pic broke through to become the #1 film internationally on July 19-21 as it rolled out into less than half the global territories. Pacific Rim releases in Spain, Brazil and Japan on August 9th. The result is that screenwriter Travis Beacham (who had the original idea which also resulted in Legendary’s homegrown graphic novel) and co-scribe/director Guillermo del Toro’s film will likely have a sequel. No one is yet saying this movie is going to turn a profit due to the high cost of its Industrial Light & Magic CGI which sent the budget to $180M-$220M. Unfortunately, U.S. theatrical sales are not expected to exceed $100M all in so overseas coin was crucial. But international was always a big part of Pacific Rim‘s strategy in a crowded summer marketplace. Through Tuesday, the pic’s foreign cume is $144.7M from 52 territories and its worldwide total is $229M. As I’ve said before, Legendary’s mega-financier Thomas Tull has the luxury of mining this marginal outcome into a franchise. Warner Bros underwrote 25% of the film and receives the global distribution fees.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/pacific ... el-likely/

Doing very well overseas
Box Office Mojo wrote:Pacific Rim was always expected to do great business in Asia, but few expected it to do this well: the movie opened to an incredible $45.2 million in its first five days in China, which is Warner Bros. biggest opening ever. Overall, the movie took in $53 million this weekend, and its overseas total is now just over $200 million. With Spain, Brazil and (most notably) Japan opening Friday, Pacific Rim should have no problem getting to $300 million by the end of its run.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Have to admit I enjoyed this. Tentpoles with personality are what Del Toro does best and this now replaces Hellboy 2 as his best film. Like every modern tentpole it does suffer from a severe case of CGItus and whilst I'll concede there was no other technical way to realise these images, watching a CGI robot battle a CGI monster in a CGI Hong Kong just lacks the visceral punch of a real life action scene (or the careful balance of CGI and animatronics found in something like Jurassic Park). But I like the international flavour of the film, entirely lacking the jingoistic nationalism of most modern Hollywood product (that's why it has been performing well overseas I think you'll find). I like the iconography, the pace, the use of colour and even the characterisations to a degree. I thought they got close to an Aliens vibe at times, although let down a bit by a somewhat bland male lead and a finale that was too easily won and therefore a bit unmemorable. Even so this has to be the best Hollywood tentpole in recent memory - although I haven't yet seen Gravity. The Mexicans are taking over.

Goddamn, this was alot of fun. In most other directors hands, this would have been just an awful, cheesy watch but Del Toro manages to infuse some heart and self awareness that a Michael Bay-type director wouldn't have. Also, the effects were just off the chart. I rarely go nuts for CGI but this time it was just to breathtaking to ignore.

As a gamer/games journalist, I also enjoyed the hell out of Del Toro purposfully casting Ellen McLain as the GlaDOS voice in Gypsy Danger.

_Marcus_ wrote:Goddamn, this was alot of fun. In most other directors hands, this would have been just an awful, cheesy watch but Del Toro manages to infuse some heart and self awareness that a Michael Bay-type director wouldn't have. Also, the effects were just off the chart. I rarely go nuts for CGI but this time it was just to breathtaking to ignore.

As a gamer/games journalist, I also enjoyed the hell out of Del Toro purposfully casting Ellen McLain as the GlaDOS voice in Gypsy Danger.
as a person who waits with bated breath for more portal, i did too. :)

Finally watched this. Oh what a horribly awful film. I loved it. The cheesy dialog, the cliché plot devices from ever other action film - they captured the spirit of the old bad Japanese monster movies perfectly, minus badly dubbed dialog. Which I'm thankful for as most of the dialog was hilariously bad. I couldn't stop laughing at this film. It's been a good while since someone made a film so bad it was fun to watch. These days the bad ones are just bad. My hats off to Del Toro for the accomplishment.
Just cut them up like regular chickens