Re: Pacific Rim

[youtube][/youtube]

you want to talk about giant and overwhelming action, holy schnikes.

but i'm a little confused about the timeline. the trailer would have us believe that the old ones arose, THEN we created a new weapon. that intricate, that huge, which somehow got from napkin phase through r&d and into production before we were all dead? it takes the gov't decades to put a small fence on the wing of an F-15.

YES.

I love everything about this so far. It knows it's dumb, it knows it's over the top and it just goes with the flow. I'm totally going to shut my brain down for a couple of hours this summer, that's for sure.

My suspicion is it'll be set somewhere in the near future and Charlie from It's Always Sunny will be some mad scientist who already had the big robots ready to go, just needed the money and the world's governments said "here is your blank check." Something like that. Like Marcus said, I'll go turn my brain off for this if the reviews are anywhere above horrible.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

DH wrote:Del Toro Talks "Pacific Rim" Sequel

Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro is about to begin the publicity push for his sci-fi action epic "Pacific Rim" which is hitting in July.

Speaking with EW, del Toro says Legendary Entertainment CEO Thomas Hull has already asked him about ideas for a sequel: "On the way to the finished screenplay, there were entire angles and ideas that we chopped off because they were too much."

This includes exploring what's on the other side of the inter-dimensional rift beneath the Pacific Ocean - the rift through which these giant alien monsters are coming. del Toro says:

"They’re a race of blind consumers grabbing planets, consuming them, and moving to the next. The idea [with the sequel] is to explore a little bit of that. I won’t spoil it, but I don’t think we’ll repeat a single beat from the first movie."

del Toro, who already has a busy schedule with numerous projects, adds that a sequel will likely be some time off:

"I don’t think the screenplay will come out so quick. It took us a year and a half to do this script, and it’ll take us at least two years to develop the other script."

Also today comes a new featurette about 'drifting', the process through which two pilots control the giant robots in the film.
holy fuck, can we not do this? let the damn movie breathe just a little. christ.

Tentpoles! We need more tentpoles! Have to say this looks like kind of a bizarre attempt at a franchise, but we'll see.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Um, 76% fresh on RT isn't exactly dire. Tracking has been poor, but it was also poor for worldwide hit WWZ, so who knows. My guess is that, worst case scenario, it makes its money internationally. Best case, good word of mouth makes it a relative sleeper with some longer legs for the summer. Not sure what else is coming out aside from Wolverine and Elysium (films I suspect will underperform) this summer as far as big summer tentpole action yadda yadda so the competition is thinning.

Brian "Lustmord" liked it as well.

from your link: "Director Guillermo del Toro has crafted a dopey, earnest and occasionally visionary sci-fi action film that keeps being dragged down by its drab characters and indifferent performances. Perhaps that’s fitting for a movie in which humans take a backseat to effects in terms of generating visceral emotional responses." ding ding ding! so he admits he gets it, then goes on to say why that's bad? it's a goddamn giant robot movie. the end.

Well I and a few other geeks will be ponying up IMAX dollars for this on Saturday, not expecting great art, just a fun time.

And maybe even more will be lining up:
Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim" is dominating with 60% of weekend movie presales, online ticket broker Fandango reported Thursday.

That's welcome news for Warner Bros., which is hoping its mega-budget giant robots vs. monsters epic can beat expectations at the box office. It opens Friday nationwide, with late shows Thursday.

Also read: Bombs Away: Hollywood Braces for Historic 4 Straight Weeks of Megaflops

Earlier projections had the $180-million 3D spectacular opening with a dismal $30 million. But some analysts believe that the movie's core demographics -- young boys and Del Toro's rabid followers -- are tricky to track, and that the film will see a surge. It could also get a boost from word of mouth once fans see it. "Pacific Rim" has a 76 percent positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Earlier this summer, rival studio Paramount saw Brad Pitt's "World War Z" defy tracking and projections with an at-the-wire rush that lifted it to a $66 million debut, and "Pacific Rim" is outselling that movie at a comparable point, Fandango said.

Warner Bros.' "The Great Gatsby" also surpassed projections with a late rush and opened at $50 million.

Presales change rapidly and aren't necessarily an accurate gauge of box-office muscle, however. Sales for Sony's "Grown Ups 2" were at 21 percent and Universal's current box office champ "Despicable Me 2" was at 12 percent very early Thursday, and both of those are expected to top $40 million this weekend.
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/surge-paci ... 00494.html

Indeed. I took my kids to see Despicable Me 2 last weekend and I think that's the first time I haven't had online tickets purchased in advance for several years.

This isn't The Great Gatsby though. Budget is closer to Avatar, it needs to deliver Avatar-like numbers.

Nb. Unlike most other tenpoles, they're releasing this one-day-and-date internationally, which says to me they're afraid of the word of mouth. Predict that opening weekend will be okay and then it'll plummet. And I guess I'm in two minds about this - we need a few tentpoles to fail, a whole summer of flops would change the cinematic landscape forever, but maybe it's not ideal in this case as it's one of those rare tenpoles not based on an existing property.

Only tentpole we're planning to go see this summer is Monsters University.