Veep

anyone watching this? last week i plowed through everything i had (haven't watched sunday's ep yet) and goddamn is it funny. i wasn't sure after seeing the trailers, but holy shit. it's really good, and pretty much how i envision politics must be.
veep_ver2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Veep

I should probably revisit it since we have HBO but what little I saw of the pilot didn't grab me. I am looking forward to the new Aaron Sorkin coming up in a week or two, The Newsroom I think it's called.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I saw a few minutes of it last week. Didn't really impress me. And I hate Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Anyone associated with Seinfield is on my do not watch list.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

yeah, well this is the first post-seinfeld show for any of them that i've been able to stomach more than 5 minutes of (other than CYE, of course). but, i do like her, so ymmv. i think the show is hilarious.

darkness wrote:I saw a few minutes of it last week. Didn't really impress me. And I hate Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Anyone associated with Seinfield is on my do not watch list.
I hated Seinfeld but it was because of Jerry, I always thought he surrounded himself with a really good comedy ensemble (which is why I think the show was any kind of hit). But yeah, I don't go seeking out what they're up to these days. And heaven help me if I ever get what's so funny about Curb Your Enthusiasm.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Finally caught up with this - it's good, very funny, as one would expect from Armando Iannucci (The Day Today, Alan Partridge and The Thick of It are three of the best known UK comedy shows). Imho, some of you guys are missing the point by focusing on Dreyfuss, she's just good casting, that's it.

klimov wrote:Finally caught up with this - it's good, very funny, as one would expect from Armando Iannucci (The Day Today, Alan Partridge and The Thick of It are three of the best known UK comedy shows). Imho, some of you guys are missing the point by focusing on Dreyfuss, she's just good casting, that's it.
She was great in her recurring bit on Arrested Development. Watched a little of Veep last fall when we had a free HBO weekend but didn't stick with it.

Haven't been able to see The Thick of It Yet, but In the Loop is one of my favorite movies of recent years. "SHUT IT, Love Actually!"
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I watched the first season of this today. I enjoyed it, though after awhile they episodes all kind of seem the same. I think my dislike of Julia Louis-Dreyfus works for me in this case as it helps sell the character as unlikeable too, which they pretty much all are.

veep_ver15_xxlg.jpg
my buddy will apparently be in a couple scenes this season. stoked!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

darkness wrote:Looking forward to it as well. They need to do a Veep/Think of It crossover episode.
wow! so you turned the corner on julia?

TC wrote:
darkness wrote:Looking forward to it as well. They need to do a Veep/Think of It crossover episode.
wow! so you turned the corner on julia?
No, I still hate her, and the supporting characters make the show. But the writing is good enough even her stilted performance can't bring a scene down. I can only imagine the show would go from good to brilliant with a better actor in the role.

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:wow! so you turned the corner on julia?
No, I still hate her, and the supporting characters make the show. But the writing is good enough even her stilted performance can't bring a scene down. I can only imagine the show would go from good to brilliant with a better actor in the role.
the problem is that today, if it weren't her, it would be jane lynch. no thanks, i'll take julia.

TC wrote:the problem is that today, if it weren't her, it would be jane lynch. no thanks, i'll take julia.
A valid point sadly.

well, i just watched the series finale last night. this season has been yet another fucking fantastic season. this show's dialog alone is an art form. truly one of the best written shows i think i've seen. if you didn't watch it, you absolutely should, and now you know how many seasons there were and how much time you need to invest.
the tom hanks bit was a call back to the first episode of the show, where they say it would take the death of someone like tom hanks to distract from what she was going through. then tom hanks ends up bumping her funeral. pretty fantastic bookend.

I got a kick out of the bookend as well. They faced a daunting task this season considering real life is more absurd than anything they dreamed up, but I liked the way it went out. At least Sunday night on HBO wasn't a complete waste.