Arrowverse [CW DC shows megathread]

original[3].jpg
io9 wrote:First picture of The Green Arrow from CW’s new superhero series Arrow

Here it is — the first look at the new superhero series Arrow, all about the rich boy who's survived on an island, only to become a hooded vigilante, the Green Arrow. Here is your very first look at main character Stephen Amell (Hung, New Girl) in the infamous green hood, and with a bit of the Arrow beard as well!

If you're wondering how this series will fit into the DC TV world, Smallville alum and Arrow executive producer David Nutter says, "When I directed the pilot for Smallville, I knew that making Clark Kent relatable would be the key to audiences believing in him as a hero. ARROW is a different show - darker and harder-edged - but it's the same core idea. We're creating a real, believable world in which Oliver Queen can do incredible things. Colleen Atwood's great work on the Arrow costume reflects that effort." So a darker Smallville? Maybe, we'll see.

For those of you unaware, here is the official synopsis:
After being marooned for five years on a remote island, former billionaire playboy Oliver Queen returns with a mysterious agenda and a lethal set of new skills that he uses in a war on crime.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TC on 18/03/20, 07:00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged all the CW DC show threads [Arrow, The Flash, Legends Of Tomorrow, Supergirl]

Re: Arrow [CW]

darkness wrote:Hopefully it'll be better than that live action Wonder Woman abomination.
yeah, still haven't watched that. i need to. i'm sure it's hilarious.

TC wrote:yeah, still haven't watched that. i need to. i'm sure it's hilarious.
Sadly it doesn't even offer that. Aside from Adrianne Palicki's cleveage, there's really nothing redeeming about this mess. The best way I'd describe it is as if you told someone who knew nothing about Wonder Woman that there was a character with that name who fought crime and also called herself Diana Prince and told them to go write a story about her with just that information.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

THR wrote:Fall TV Pilot Preview: The CW's 'Arrow'
Stephen Amell's killer abs, a writer/executive producer with a penchant for superheroes and three more things to know about the youth-skewing network's upcoming drama.

A year after Smallville wrapped its run, the CW is going back to its superhero roots with Arrow, based on the long-running character Green Arrow from DC Comics.

The Hollywood Reporter screened the pilot for the drama -- one of five the youth-skewing network picked up to series in May -- and as part of our Fall Preview 2012 have five things to know about the series before its fall launch.

1. It's based on the long-running character that first appeared in a DC Comics title in 1941, who was a former mayor of the fictional town of Star City. In the CW's take, the title character (aka Oliver Queen) is the son of a billionaire partially responsible for the demise of the fictional Sterling City who returns home after being stranded for five years on an island best described as purgatory following a boat accident.

2. Arrow star Stephen Amell (Private Practice, Hung) becomes the latest actor to join the network's roster of superheroes, joining Smallville's Tom Welling (Clark Kent/Superman) and Justin Hartley, who played Oliver/Green Arrow. In Arrow, Oliver and his hooded-alter ego are much more intense as the series feels more mature than Smallville. Another face CW viewers will recognize comes in Katie Cassidy (Melrose Place, Gossip Girl, Supernatural), who plays Oliver's ex-girlfriend-turned-legal aide attorney Laurel Lance.

3. Arrow has something for everyone. Fight scenes are intense and reminiscent at times of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as Arrow also seems to be a master of martial arts who, like Buffy was with Mr. Pointy, is (shocker!) also well-versed with pointy things. There's a built-in love triangle, family drama and in the pilot hour alone, two scenes that feature Amell's six-pack (eight?) abs. And also like Buffy? The annoying younger sister (here played by Gossip Girl's Willa Holland) that may make you want to yell, "Shut up, Dawn."

4. Oliver, like Bruce Wayne and other caped crusaders, is a man on a mission. Returning home five years after he was presumed dead, Oliver returns with a list inherited from his father to seek vengeance on those who helped destroy Sterling City. Also similar to Batman and Superman: Arrow has a high-tech lair of his own complete with green mood lighting and, naturally, a gym for those ab workouts.

5. The drama hails from writer/executive producer Greg Berlanti, who has experience in the superhero genre, having penned the screenplay for last year's Warner Bros. Pictures feature Green Lantern, which starred Ryan Reynolds as the DC Comics hero. Arrow was one of four pilots Berlanti had in contention this season, with CBS ordering cop drama Golden Boy to series for a midseason bow. On the TV side, Berlanti's geek cred includes ABC's short-lived family super hero series No Ordinary Family, with Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz. (Berlanti was also a writer on previous CW/WB Network fare including Everwood, Dawson's Creek andJack & Bobby.)Also speaking to Arrow's genre appeal the pilot was directed by David Nutter, whose credits include Game of Thrones, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Supernatural, Smallville and The X-Files, to name a few.

Arrow debuts Wednesdays this fall at 8 p.m. on the CW.

THR wrote: 5. The drama hails from writer/executive producer Greg Berlanti, who has experience in the superhero genre, having penned the screenplay for last year's Warner Bros. Pictures feature Green Lantern,
Well, I can scratch this off the watch list it appears.

arrow_ver6.jpg
ok, i'll start. just watched the first 3 episodes of this. observations:
  • Queen squats in an abandoned warehouse for his lair. no one notices the fact that this abandoned warehouse has to be pulling serious electricity for all the toys he installed there, let alone internet? before he decides to install a club upstairs...
  • he manages to install all of this stuff but doesn't have anything that can recover a hard drive better than some IT chick?
  • said recovery is basically one image and the name of the company of the computer (an optional field)?
  • etc
seriously, the plot holes in this are insane. i'm also completely baffled that no one is bitching about this story. i mean, people that don't really know/care about comics. entitled rich guy with seemingly endless money has a social personality of a complete fucking tool spent years in a remote location and returns to his city to clean it up by being a vigilante? wow, never heard that one before... also, while trying to help everyone forget smallville is over, within minutes of the start of the first episode we see that they managed to not only reuse the exterior of the luthor mansion but the interior as well. oh, and main bad guy is bald.

all of that being said.... i will be watching this. it's orders of magnitude better than, say, revolution. it's also not the pseudo-wholesome aura of smallville high school BS - green arrow has no problem killing people (that deserve it). while you think you got the complete origin story in the first two minutes of the show, the little reveals they have been dropping throughout tease some weird shit going on. oh, and
queen's father killing his crew (?) and himself in the lifeboat was a nice touch. adds more darkness to the backstory
. the thing is, the macguffin is a finite thing - how long can they sustain this show? don't see it lasting too awful long, but it will be fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I watched a little bit of the pilot, I will not be watching it but was somewhat impressed with the quality of the fight sequence I saw.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

stuck with this through the mid-season break. it's at least marginally less gay than smallville. btw, during the xmas sales, i finally got the last three seasons of smallville for a great price, so i hope to see how that fared at some point.

highlights of this show: fencing, insanely hilarious archery, ridiculously good-looking women, island torture, multiple suicides, very fictional computer hacking, lots of legit murder, rich man/poor man plot lines, teenage drug use and sex, women who love scars, lies, corporate thievery, self-stitching, borderline in-law-cest, internet stalker creepiness (from a good guy)... stuff like that.

I finally started watching this over the weekend. I'm six episodes in now and I'm actually liking it. I was suspecting some teenage drama crap like Smallville was initially but thankfully there's none of that. Not outsanding television but enjoyable enough.

just painfully powered through that last episode. holy shit was that fucking awful. sooooo stupid. they are really tracking the wrong way. if i have to see another second if his stupid fucking sister and that stupid fucking purse snatcher and that ludicrous romance, i'm going to break something. everything about that episode was fucking retarded.

It seems like they're trying to target the typical CW demo more. Usually the episodes with Helena have been the better ones but that aside they're trying in insert a lot of high school drama into the show lately. And I'm almost certain they're going to find Laurel's sister, she'll have had similar training and become an enemy to Arrow. You heard it here first. This will set Laurel on the path to being Canary.

yeah, it tips its had pretty badly. but that doesn't mean they have to be a typical CW show. it started off so well. if they keep tracking like they did last week, i'll be done with it very quickly. i mean, when is the last time he even looked at his dad's journal? ugh.