Re: Arrowverse [CW DC shows megathread]

Felicity doesn't have her own show, nor has she shown up on any of them as far as I know. I think things are such a mess due to covid that it was easier just to have everyone who was around show up on a single series. But I also haven't seen any of the CW shows, Batwoman aside, for at least a year, so I'm way behind on what's going on in the Arrowverse. I've kind of gotten bored by it all, and Flash is my least favorite of the Arrowverse shows.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

It is the CW's third highest rated show, so I guess it was easy to keep. Either that or Grant Gustin has pictures of the CW president with a goat or something. I still haven't bothered with the last season. Ultimately it doesn't matter. CW will get sold to Nexstar and they'll turn the thing into all political shows and reruns and that will be the end of everything.

...and CW cancels Legends, their most fun and entertaining superhero show. while it did feel like it was winding down, it also felt like after 8 seasons they earned a proper ending and not just canceled on a cliffhanger. fuck CW and their shitty property management.
Giz wrote:Well Damn, Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman are Canceled
Pour one out for Beebo, who's probably very sad right now.

The CW is saying goodbye to two of its bigger shows from the long running Arrowverse. Legends of Tomorrow, the spinoff of Arrow and Flash focused on those shows’ respective C-listers traveling through time and saving reality, has been canceled, as has the relative newcomer Batwoman.

News broke late Friday of both shows not being renewed for an additional season. Legends has been a part of the Arrowverse since 2016 and made it to 110 episodes across its seven seasons; with numerous cast additions and departures over the years, Caity Lotz’ Sara Lance is the only member of the show’s original cast. Of the many shows that have been a part of the Arrowverse, Legends has always been one of the most fun and willing to experiment with itself. Not many superhero shows could famously feature a psychic gorilla attempting to murder Barack Obama in the 80s, nor would they devote part of an episode to turning one of the leads into an animated Disney princess, complete with a musical number and magical objects to cheer her on. On Twitter, co-showrunner Keto Shimizu thanked the show’s cast and crew for contributing to “the little show that could,” and the fans for helping the series thrive for as long as it could. “We see you, we love you, and you’ll always have a place on the Waverider.”...

I have a feeling the new management at Warner Discovery is partially behind this. They've been signaling they want to make all the DC tv and movie properties more cohesive like the MCU. Given that pretty much everyone assumes this next season of Flash will be the last one, that'll just leave Superman and Lois as the last Arrowverse show standing. It did get renewed for season 3, but I'll be surprised if it makes it past that. Especially with the CW's own future on shaky ground due to it being up for sale.

So apparently Superman and Lois is not actually in the Arrowverse (despite staring the same actors as Superman and Lois from the Arrowverse), which means Flash is left as the last show and when it's gone after next season, so will be the Arrowverse. Of all the good shows that came and went kind of sad to go out on that crappy one.
TVLine wrote:Speaking with TVLine, showrunner Todd Helbing acknowledges, “From Day 1, there were questions of how we were connected to the Arrowverse. If you go back to the first script that got sent to Warner Brothers and DC, it had a lot of references to other heroes like The Flash. There were moments when we were shooting, and I think I’ve said this before, but there was a photo of Kara on Lois’ desk at the Daily Planet. All of that stuff got slowly pulled out, and the more we did that, the more it became a can of worms to even mention it.”

“DC and I had a conversation during Season 1, and the decision [to keep Superman & Lois separate] was made then, but I couldn’t make it public until the end of this season,” Helbing explains. “So when I got all these questions [in previous interviews], I knew what we were doing, but I could never talk about it. It got a little frustrating on my end, but I totally understand DC’s position. So this put that to rest. I’ve said from the beginning that we want to put our own stamp on the Superman property. This wasn’t meant to alienate us from the Arrowverse, but because a lot of the other shows are sadly no longer going to be on the air, it felt like the right thing to do.”

Brutal. I’m pretty behind on The Flash at the moment but what I had watched of this season, while somewhat better than the last, didn’t make me excited to continue. I mean, I will when I have time, but pretty done with this show. And Legends was fucking good, man.

Arrow getting some love on the 10th anniversary...
Inverse wrote:10 years ago, Arrow began as a Batman knockoff — and changed superheroes forever
Arrow may not be the most exciting or original superhero drama, but it’s now one of the most important.

Twenty-two minutes into the pilot of Arrow, which premiered ten years ago in October 2012, it is painfully clear how much the producers wanted you to think you were watching Batman with an archery bow.

Years earlier in 2005, director Christopher Nolan reshaped popular culture with Batman Begins, an operatic and grounded interpretation of the famed superhero’s origin story. In 2008, Nolan followed up with The Dark Knight, one of the first superhero films to gross a billion dollars and further cemented the genre’s longevity in the stratosphere.

While the opposing, more conventional Marvel Cinematic Universe started planting its legs in parallel, the zeitgeist entered a new phase in 2012. That summer saw both The Avengers — which proved the “MCU” experiment was more than just an attractive theory of Hollywood economics — and The Dark Knight Rises, a verbose conclusion to Nolan’s artistic thesis of Batman. But 2012 was also when superheroes found a new home on television.

For genre fans, the previous decade was anemic with Smallville offering the only real fix (and even then, its showrunners were adamant about not putting Clark Kent in tights). Enter: Arrow. Conceived as a spin-off from Smallville, the team of Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kreisberg (later fired after accusations of workplace sexual harassment in 2017) embarked on a familiar interpretation of the Green Arrow, an offbeat B-lister from DC’s comic book universe.

Their resulting work didn’t make Arrow a flashpoint of originality (it was pretty derivative), nor is Arrow an underappreciated, overlooked gem (it lasted eight seasons and 170 episodes). But in hindsight, it’s now one of the most important pieces ever in the American superhero canon, proving that superhero stories could work in the modern TV landscape and encompass an imagination thought to be limited to comic book long boxes.

Dating back to 1941, the Green Arrow always had some semblance to the more popular Batman. Like the Caped Crusader, the “Emerald Archer” is Oliver Queen, a millionaire (now billionaire, thanks to inflation) who trains and hones his skills abroad before returning home to live the double life of playboy and vigilante. Creators Mort Weisinger and artist George Papp both said the Green Arrow was an amalgamation of Batman, Robin Hood, and the popular silent 1940 serial The Green Archer starring Victory Jory.

Later comics by other writers would expand upon these pillars, imbuing in the Green Arrow leftist political activism and reliance on specialized gadgets, like trick arrows.

When Arrow premiered in 2012, there was a clear aesthetic that called to mind Nolan’s Batman. It was by design. At a London convention in 2018, lead star Stephen Amell said director David Nutter purposefully pursued the same tone that Nolan saw Batman.

“When the show started the inspiration for the first season was absolutely, positively The Dark Knight,” said Amell, who recalled seeing Nutter’s office covered in a Batman mood board. “When I was sitting in David Nutter's office, it was just photos of The Dark Knight. That was the inspiration for the first season.”

In its first season, Arrow was — and watching it now, still is — echoic of the more popular Batman movies, with next to none of the same careful philosophy Nolan gave to his subject. Most of it manifests in the first episode, where Oliver Queen (Amell) constructs his “Arrow Cave” in a condemned factory building. The sequence is profoundly evocative of a similar beat in Batman Begins when Christian Bale’s Bruce Wayne sets up his cave and his arsenal in a montage.

Batman Begins was a movie in the most artistic sense, with Nolan flexing his auteur muscles even in a work-for-hire capacity. Arrow was a TV show, with a functional premise that afforded weekly episodics still strung together by an overarching narrative. Being on The CW, Arrow also saw a premium on attractive lead stars over any actual chemistry among its onscreen performers.

But while Arrow followed trends in its early years, it spawned its own spin-off in The Flash, with Glee alum Grant Gustin in the title role. The Flash’s regular involvement in DC’s scientifically-minded stories, including his central role in concepts like the multiverse, helped expand Arrow into a franchise that unofficially used its name: The Arrowverse.

The Arrowverse would later encompass a diversity of shows including but not limited to: Legends of Tomorrow (a time-traveling action-comedy), Supergirl (a feminist superhero that riffed on rom-com tropes), Black Lightning (a socially-conscious drama set in a predominantly Black neighborhood), and retroactively Constantine (a one-season horror favorite on NBC whose lead protagonist eventually joined Legends of Tomorrow). Arrow was central to what is still DC’s most ambitious live-action endeavor yet, the 2019/2020 crossover special “Crisis on Infinite Earths.”

Now the multiverse is everywhere, all at once. The multiverse is driving both the Marvel cinematic franchise — we’re guaranteed to hear “multiverse” uttered again and again until 2025 at least — and DC’s corporate strategy that’s produced projects as varied as Matt Reeve’s sweeping noir The Batman to the eccentric Doom Patrol on HBO Max.

Arrow didn’t invent the multiverse, but it played a foundational role in soft-launching it for an attentive mainstream audience. Ten years later, Arrow may not be the most original or most engaging superhero drama, even for its time. But now, it’s undoubtedly one of the most important, hitting the bullseye before anyone else thought possible.

I did finish the (thankfully) abbreviated final season of the flash. It was just extremely anticlimactic. Felt like they hadn’t really thought about how to end it and just kind of ended up there. Also felt extremely weird not to have characters like Cisco or Ralph make an appearance to say goodbye, but I guess we did get to see “Oliver” again, that was pretty cool. And Barry’s speech at the end was weak. Like you said, really sad that the Arrowverse has to go out like this. One of these days when I’m out of trash TV to watch, I’m going to go back and re-watch Legends s3 and see if it’s as great as i remember it being, just to remind me that these shows did used to rule. I remember that season essentially being full of one-off episodes as they bounce through time only to end up where Bebo is god. Man I loved that season. Anyway, it’s all over now I guess. I really did like Arrow a lot most of the time, and Legends was really good most of the time. The Flash was the most CW of all the shows, in that it was full of teen/YA melodrama, but it was also fun a lot/some of the time. I’ll say that it did have some peaks, but man there were some valleys more often than not. I think the reality is, just like the comics, I just really don’t care about The Flash (says the guy who watched 9 seasons of this lol).

Mike, I know it was only us here watching this crap, did you make it through all of it?

I just finished the final season as well. I was kind of surprised by the lack of Cisco too. Especially when everything else this season was like a greatest hits of Flash. I'd read that they were surprised by the pick up for another season and kind of intended the Thawne/Negative Speed Force battle to be the climax of the series overall, then had to scramble to come up with something else for this season. I think this show peaked about season two. Then they did Flashpoint and it was all downhill. Part of the problem with the Flash is there's like only a few main stories everyone knows that they seem to insist on repeating over and over. We got Flashpoint the animated version, the series version, and now the movie version. Give it a rest guys. But I'm going off on a tangent rant. I haven't really enjoyed this series much for years and it was kind of like homework every week at this point, so I'm glad they put it out of its misery finally. This past season was about as good as I could have expected. Like I said, it hit all the familar flash beats, brought back Oliver to formally close the Arrowverse, and everyone got a happy ending.
I'm actually way behind on finishing both Supergirl and Legends, so I'm still not finished with the Arrowverse yet.