Hannibal: The Series

French film studio Gaumont has become the latest foreign production company to establish a U.S. outpost and tap a seasoned U.S. TV executive to run it. Gaumont today announced today the launch of Gaumont International Television, an independent studio based in Los Angeles, designed to produce drama and comedy television programming for the U.S. and international markets. Former NBC head of drama Katie O’Connell will run the company as CEO, with Sony Pictures TV business exec Richard Frankie tapped as COO. GIT also announced its first two projects that will be taken to MIPCOM next month: Hannibal, a one-hour drama series written by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller, and Madame Tussaud, a six-hour miniseries written by The Tudors creator Michael Hirst.

Hannibal will explore the early relationship of Thomas Harris’ signature character, renowned psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lector, and his patient, a young FBI criminal profiler named Will Graham, who is haunted by his ability to empathize with serial killers. Fuller is executive producing with Martha De Laurentiis who has produced three Hannibal Lector features: Hannibal, Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising.
Bryan Fuller's involvement is somewhat heartening. The rest, not so much.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/gaumont ... ore-170020
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Hannibal: The Series

This is happening.
NBC has pulled the trigger on a 13-episode order to Hannibal, a straight-to-series project from Gaumont International Television, written and executive produced by Bryan Fuller and executive produced by Martha DeLaurentiis. The project is described as a contemporary thriller series featuring the classic characters from Thomas Harris’ novel Red Dragon – FBI agent Will Graham and his mentor Dr. Hannibal Lecter – who are re-introduced at the beginning of their budding relationship. The project was bought by NBC preemptively in November with a script against a 13-episode commitment, meaning that the project wouldn’t go through a pilot stage but straight to series if NBC brass liked the script. The network had a short window after receiving Fuller’s script to pick up the series, which it just did. This marks the second series order for GIT, launched in September with Katie O’Connell as CEO. The company also has a 13-episode pickup at Netflix for Hemlock Grove, an hourlong thriller/horror series executive produced and directed by Eli Roth. In addition to Hannibal, Fuller also has the Munsters reboot in the works at NBC. The pilot, Mockingbird Lane, was recently pushed to June because of difficulties with casting.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/nbc-giv ... ore-231085
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

The suits must have really liked the script Fuller came up with--to go straight to greenlight without a pilot being shot hopefully says good things about what they're doing with it. But casting is so crucial...if they fuck that up, no amount of good writing will carry it.

'Hannibal' on NBC: How Bryan Fuller will reinvent Dr. Lecter -- EXCLUSIVE
by James Hibberd
Tags: Hannibal, News
Comments 39Add comment

NBC’s new take on serial killer Hannibal Lecter is shaping up to be quite an interesting (and series-TV-friendly) departure from films like Silence of the Lambs.
Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daises, Heroes) is taking five pages of backstory about the infamous cannibal psychiatrist from Thomas Harris’ book Red Dragon and using it as the basis for the first couple seasons of his planned drama.
Hannibal, which has received a 13-episode series order, features Lecter solving crimes with empathic FBI profiler Will Graham (Hugh Dancy). For the first time, viewers will spend quality time with Lecter while he’s at large and before the world knows his secrets, working side by side with a similarly brilliant man who is destined to catch him.
“It’s before he was incarcerated, so he’s more of a peacock,” Fuller tells EW.com. “There is a cheery disposition to our Hannibal. He’s not being telegraphed as a villain. If the audience didn’t know who he was, they wouldn’t see him coming. What we have is Alfred Hitchcock’s principle of suspense — show the audience the bomb under the table and let them sweat when it’s going to go boom. So the audience knows who Hannibal is so we don’t have to overplay his villainy. We get to subvert his legacy and give the audience twists and turns.”

So Hannibal almost plays like a crime procedural featuring two very smart investigators — but one of them is a serial killer. It’s also a highly unusual plan in broadcast series TV to start out a drama with one format, while planning from the very beginning to dramatically shake up the story once Hannibal is outed.
“It really is a love story, for lack of a better description, between these two characters,” Fuller says. “As Hannibal has said [to Graham] in a couple of the movies, ‘You’re a lot more like me than you realize.’ We’ll get to the bottom of exactly what that means over the course of the first two seasons. But we’re taking our sweet precious time.”

Hannibal will also be unusual because it’s planned as a 13-episode-per-season show. So though the drama won’t rush Hannibal’s story, it also won’t feel like its padded with throwaway episodes either.

“Doing a cable model on network television gives us the opportunity not to dally in our storytelling because we have a lot of real estate to cover,” Fuller says. “I pitched a seven-season arc including stories from various [Thomas Harris] books.”

The show will include familiar characters from Harris’ novels, though he’s “Starbucking” the genders of a couple of them. FBI boss Jack Crawford will remain male, but Dr. Alan Bloom is becoming Dr. Alana Bloom, and tabloid journalist Freddy Lounds is becoming tabloid blogger Fredricka Lounds.
Between Hannibal and Fuller’s Munsters reboot pilot Mockingbird Lane, the writer certainly has his hands full. Still, there’s one other TV series idea that we’re all hoping eventually gets off the ground — the return of Star Trek.

Fuller has previously spoken to director-producer Bryan Singer about teaming to reboot the TV franchise, though any movement depends on rights-holder Paramount and Trek’s current creative kingpin, J.J. Abrams (who, of course, knows a thing or two about making TV shows too). The consensus has been that there is unlikely to be a Trek TV show while the current movie franchise is still regularly hitting theaters.
“Bryan and I are big fans of Trek and have discussed a take on what we would do, and we would love to do it,” Fuller says. “I don’t think anything is going to happen in any official capacity until after the next movie comes out. And I’m sure it would be wisely under J.J. Abrams’ purview of what happens. He’s the guardian of Trek right now.”
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/19/bryan ... -hannibal/

I don't know if it will end up being my cup of tea--if it's just another way to do a CSI knockoff then I probably won't watch for long--but the network obviously liked what they saw since they greenlit a season of the thing based on a pilot script. I am hoping the showrunner is quirky/genre enough to do something truly fun and interesting with, let's admit it, a pretty shopworn cast of characters at this point.

Guess who's playing Hannibal's psychiatrist in a recurring role on the series?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How can he not know the man helping him is the most notorious serial killer? Didn't he see Red Dragon? Or Manhunter? About the only person who doesn't know this story appears to be whatever exec greenlit this thinking it needed to be done yet again.
Just cut them up like regular chickens