Re: Game Of Thrones

i'm about four episodes behind now. just haven't had time, sadly. really missing it! here's a poster for this week's episode. must be a huge one to have its own poster...
game_of_thrones_ver18_xlg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I assume this is the big battle episode I mentioned a while back. Was saying to the wife that they should go balls out and make it 2 hours.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

4 episode marathon last night, caught up. still loving it, but can't shake the feeling that they're trying to cram too much into this season and not spending enough on any one thing. so much going on. so, question about the most recent episode:
jon snow can't kill egrit, gets captured, etc. during that, we flash over to the 3-4 other watchmen that we haven't seen for 4 episodes. they are digging "piss latrines" in the snow, digging really fucking deep for some reason. happen upon a shield with the marks of the "first men" or whatever covering a hole filled with obsidian (dragon glass) that older guy is less than impressed with, won't even look at it. ok, their 2 minutes is up, bye-bye for another several episodes. wtf? that came out of nowhere and went away just as quickly. i'll go ahead and assume it will have some significance but just seemed really out of place and points again to the fact that they are really cramming so much material in here that some of the scenes feel "required" rather than "happening naturally".

of course i didn't read the books yet, so meh.

last night's episode was GREAT. fuck, i can't believe there's only one more left this season. such a bummer!!!!

anyone dies with a clean sword, i'll fuck his corpse!!!

also, useful:
joffreytarget.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I assume those are the White Walkers mentioned in the pilot. What I've heard from my brother makes it sound like they still haven't really shown up in the books, so I wonder if they're really going off the reservation story-wise on the t.v. show. I guess many certainly feel that's the case so far with the show, that it moves further away from the books all the time, and kind of has to considering the length of the source material. Robb Stark's romance/marriage isn't in the books at all, for example.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

really? (re: stark's marriage). that's surprising as it seems to be a fairly big plot point. and yes, i know the "undead" "white walkers", etc., but with all the zombie BS going on these days i think i probably would have downplayed them a bit. eh, whatever. i know it's still going to be a character-driven show, just seemed really out of left field to end with that. of course the season has been all over the place, seems like they've tried to cover what must be about 6000 pages of source material in a handful of hours. hope the next season is a bit more focused. i think sansa is fucked.

Hah, love the cinnamon challenge.
I'm pretty sure he said it's not in there, will have to double check. I have been waiting for more White Walker action since the pilot but I must admit I wasn't particularly impressed with the production design, especially the main guy you get a long look at. Don't know if their backstory merits the zombie treatment, but I hope they do some cool things with them. I'm all for more supernatural action and less standing around in palaces talking.

This was amusing news last week:
NEW YORK (AP) — HBO and producers of "Game of Thrones" apologized Thursday for a scene that depicted former President George W. Bush's severed head on a spike.

The scene first aired last year and was repeated on a DVD release in March. But in a particularly bad piece of timing for HBO, stories about it spread online this week, when the network premiered a documentary on Bush's father, former President George H.W. Bush.

Bush's head was one of several on spikes in a scene where King Joffrey reveals to his fiancée the severed head of her father, who he had judged disloyal.

The former president's features on the prosthetic head were partially obscured by long, scraggly hair and the picture flashes by quickly. But in a commentary included with the DVD, producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff pointed out the Bush head.

The producers said they often order prosthetic body parts in bulk for "Game of Thrones" because it can be too expensive to make new ones. It wasn't until the scene was shot that someone pointed out the resemblance to Bush, they said.

Their DVD commentary mentioning the Bush head made its presence clear to any fans who might not have noticed it the first time around.

"We meant no disrespect to the former president and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise," the producers said in a statement.

HBO, in a statement issued by spokesman Quentin Schaffer, said it was dismayed to learn about the Bush head. "We find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste," the network said.

HBO said it has halted all further shipments of the DVD and removed reruns of the episode from its networks until the scene with the severed Bush head is edited out.
Any of you who already own the DVDs, congrats! They're now collectors' items. Snagged a set at Barnes & Noble last night. We acquired it sight unseen, so if it turns out I don't actually love it, I'm blaming you guys. :-)
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

good call. i got one as soon as i saw that too. really fucking stupid and cowardly of HBO to make a big deal out of this. really disagree with that. but, love the show, so love them for giving it to us. tough call. :)

you should love it.

TC wrote: really fucking stupid and cowardly of HBO to make a big deal out of this. really disagree with that.
HBO seems hypersensitive to controversy lately, what with this and the cancellation of Luck earlier this year.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:HBO seems hypersensitive to controversy lately, what with this and the cancellation of Luck earlier this year.
Well, they did kill three horses just making the first season of Luck alone (died as a direct result of injuries from filming), so that's a bit more than just being paranoid about some bad press. If you're show is killing a horse for every third episode you probably should think about stopping. Though in this case it wasn't even the controversy or concern that killed the show, but rather the fact that the AHA forced a stop to filming and it was costing HBO too much money to hold things up to the point that it was just cheaper to cut their losses. So as with most things money was the reason in the end.
Just cut them up like regular chickens