Re: Game Of Thrones

Teleportation continues to be a new addition to Westeros. Jesus, they're just popping all the fuckitall pills when it comes to getting around the realm anymore.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

yeah. some real holy shit moments in this and TP last night. saw someone say some truth - TP's main story needed 7 episodes to get where we are, GoT needed 16. i don't understand how this show wraps everything up next season. i mean, if everyone travels as fast as they have been and they skip ahead what must be weeks if not months several times during episodes, i guess i do see it. just too bad as there are some amazing stories left to tell for this show but they've thrown in the towel on every story but one, which i guess is where it was always going. but still.
tell me you honestly thought for a second cersei was going to kill jaime. i know i did. that's how nutso this show has gotten, just wide, broad strokes of the scythe as they harvest the finale. i'm not happy that littlefinger met his fate the way he did, but agree he was no longer necessary given the above statement - there is one plot left in this show now, they've given up/don't have the budget/writers/whatever to continue the pace of even S5. this is what will sour the show for me (and many others) in hindsight and repeat viewings. everything was really great until they just floored it. i guess that's what happens when you pass the point of where the books are. you have two choices: don't tell any story but the one you are positive happens, or stop production while you wait. while it's still a fun show, it's not the same show it has been that's for sure.

I don't either. He's old and tired and fans at least get something approximating what he planned to do on the show.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Isn't it likely that he'll die and the estate or publisher will simply hire authors to complete the work?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I have no idea if that's what he wants done or not, I assume based on things like the Steig Larsson nightmare over the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series after he kicked the bucket, I guess it could be easy or it could be hard.

Collider wrote:Naomi Watts to Lead ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Pilot for HBO

Naomi Watts is officially heading back to the early days of Westeros, when White Walkers still crawled and the Starks were but direwolf pups. Deadline reports that the two-time Oscar nominee will lead the Game of Thrones prequel pilot written by Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service), from a story by Goldman and A Song of Ice and Fire creator George RR Martin.

Watts’ character-description offers the slightest possible hints as to who she will be playing, with the role described as “a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret.” This could be…anyone. Literally anyone. But we do know that the pilot is set thousands of years before Game of Thrones and chronicles Westeros’ transition from the Golden Age of heroes into that world’s darkest time period, which saw the rise of the icy-eyed Night’s King and his great clash with the Stark family and Joramun, the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Here’s the official logline, courtesy of HBO:

“The series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.”

“It’s a very different setting, a very different time in Westeros,” HBO’s President of Programming Casey Bloys said in July. “It will feel different but still Game of Thrones.”

The still-untitled prequel will be the second recent big-name TV project for Watts, who turned in a brilliant performance in Showtime’s criminally un-watched Twin Peaks: The Return. The actress, no stranger to working with David Lynch, played Janey-E Jones opposite Kyle MacLachlan‘s mute Dale Cooper doppelganger, Dougie Jones.

No official word on when the Game of Thrones prequel might debut on HBO, but sometime in 2020 seems the surest bet. Meanwhile, Thrones‘ six-episode final season is set to premiere in April 2019.

welp, episode 3 was the big 55-day shoot battle. most of it could have been filmed in a closet and i wouldn't have known, it was so dark. complete chaos, "fog of war", couldn't really tell what was happening most of it.
seems like, with the outcome of this episode and only a couple named characters dying, they are setting up the final three episodes as more "who gets to rule the 7 kingdoms" shit, after building up the night king, ice vs. fire, etc., for 7 seasons. a really strange choice. i'll reserve judgement to see what happens now, but it sure seems that way.

very fair points: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/433p ... ng-villain

and this highlights my main issue, i think: https://www.avclub.com/game-of-thrones- ... 1834369261
"The Night King dies without any clear motivation beyond Bran’s abstract notion of his vendetta against memory, and there are a lot of unanswered questions beyond the trajectory and timing of Arya’s approach. And what was Bran doing while warged into the raven? It’s a badass moment, but it confirms that the Night King and his army were a fundamentally empty threat, capable of being erased in one fell swoop and without any kind of purpose beyond their existence. I’m not entirely mad that the takeaway from the battle becomes about a character that I like as much as Arya, but when the ice shards settled I just found myself going back and thinking about how the Night King was introduced as a tragedy with his creation and then just wages a war with no stated purpose and dies without doing anything but killing off a few supporting characters whose arcs were always headed toward death to begin with. This is yet another large-scale battle, similar to the Battle Of The Bastards, where the moment you start getting your breath back and begin taking stock of what happened, the spell of the immersion breaks and you realize that there’s not as much “there” there as you were hoping for."

yeah, that. i mean, the first scene of the goddamn show is about white walkers. they've been teasing and building it up over seven seasons, for that? granted, as with the first link i posted, there are "unbeatable boogeyman" issues with that too, and yes the strength of the show has nothing to do with white walkers or night kings, but fuck man. just ripping a plot device out from under the audience after you've leaned on it that long is kind of shitty.

I can't disagree with any of that. Muddy action scenes, missed opportunities, a WTF conclusion. As soon as the episode was done we turned on Santa Clarita Diet.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:I can't disagree with any of that. Muddy action scenes, missed opportunities, a WTF conclusion. As soon as the episode was done we turned on Santa Clarita Diet.
major sad face on that one.

yeah, this: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/3k3d ... ed-a-thing
look, i get that someone told you you only have a season or two before it's over, but guess what? that doesn't mean you are obligated to wrap things up nicely. it's not you, dear writers, that decided the show was over. it's not your job to bail out decision makers. if they decide it's too expensive to continue to make, or if certain actors want to move on, that's not your problem. they should be the ones that have to live with that decision and get the wrath of the people. if the show ends mid-story with no answers or conclusions whatsoever but with continued character development and story telling that made you such a popular show, i'd be happier with that i think. better than going a thousand miles an hour toward conclusions with characters doing things so completely out of character just to put some kind of bow on things. it was a good episode, lots of great laughs from tormund and bron, but every other character being a fucking idiot was grating. these are not the people i spent so many seasons loving. setting things up for a nice bloodbath, sure, but at what cost?

really, i was hoping that euron would have shot dany out of the sky and killed her. THAT would have been a truly shocking moment and shown serious balls on the part of the writers. like, oh really? you're making me wrap this up in one season with fewer episodes? ok, well guess what? we're ripping the rug out from everything. burn it all!!! but no, we don't get that. we get a fleet destroyed, everyone lives and washes up on a beach somewhere, then is magically transported to dragonstone? lots of "ugh" moments from me in this episode. given how this season has been, i'm glad it's ending, for its own sake. at least i have the memories of how good it was for a long time.

yes to all of this: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/paja ... -character
the writers continue to abandon characterization, which is what made the show addictive. wrapping up several-season-arching arcs in one episode, again, is a dumb idea from the get-go, so this episode was about what i expected. but per the above link, everyone is suddenly stupid and not who they've been built up to be. and again we get mass teleportation. i don't know how they forget that the real interesting stuff happens ON the journey. and still no answer to how any dothraki are left alive. just kind of a silly, over-the-top episode. but again, technically incredible. this season is best summarized by a quote in the above article: "It was a stunning sequence, brilliantly shot, disturbing as hell, well-acted…. and just terribly written."