Re: The Walking Dead

meanwhile, back in the courtroom...
THR wrote:Frank Darabont to Seek More Than $280 Million From AMC at 'Walking Dead' Profits Trial

The two sides have now finished the discovery process in a major showdown.

The Walking Dead co-creator Frank Darabont and his CAA agents have hit the homestretch in their lawsuit against AMC over the hit zombie show's profits. In a certificate of trial readiness filed on Monday, the plaintiffs reveal that they will be seeking a whopping damages verdict in excess of $280 million.

"Plaintiffs' damages claim has no basis in reality and we will continue to vigorously defend against this lawsuit," said AMC in a statement provided to The Hollywood Reporter.

Darabont was fired in the middle of the second season and his lawsuit contends that AMC has robbed him of contingent profits by producing the series and then licensing it to its cable network affiliate for not enough money. The lawsuit is a good example of a "vertical integration" case where AMC is arguing it negotiated the right to set an imputed license fee. Considering that Darabont was contractually entitled to as much as 10 percent of certain Walking Dead profits after deductions, the damages figure suggests the series has made billions. The lawsuit asserts, however, that a low license fee formula has been designed to ensure that the show would never be in the black for profit participants.

A trial will also feature the circumstances of Darabont's departure from Walking Dead, which will enter its seventh season in October. That's because Darabont is also alleging that AMC improperly reduced his profit share by not counting him as fully vested in the second season. He says he worked on all of the episodes of the second season while AMC asserts he had to be working full-time on the show at the end of the second cycle. A judge allowed the claim after an explosive deposition from Darabont was revealed detailing the "crisis-level problems" on the show.

Last week, discovery in the dispute formally ended.

On Tuesday, Justice Eileen Bransten held a status conference.

The next step in the dispute is summary judgment motions that will provide an even fuller picture of AMC's hit show and Darabont's negotiations.

If the judge allows the case to move forward, it will go to trial, though don't expect it anytime soon. At the hearing, Bransten said her 2017 schedule was completely booked and that the parties would need to wait until 2018 at the earliest. If and when that does occur, the trial will mark one of the biggest profit cases in television history with a potential outcome that surpasses the $319 million verdict that Disney suffered in the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire lawsuit.
after watching the "Director's Chair" episode with him, i'm fully on his side. he seems like such a nice, genuine guy that really loved working on this show. we shall see.

I assume some of you have seen the premiere at this point...I thought they did a pretty good job of playing with expectations, and I'm not hugely surprised with what they did. Negan is going to be a very fun villain.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I'm a full season behind. At least a couple people in my Facebook feed were offended/traumatized/etc. after last night's installment.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:I'm a full season behind. At least a couple people in my Facebook feed were offended/traumatized/etc. after last night's installment.
I'm only moderately into the show, but it was certainly intense. Though hardly enough to warrant offense or trauma. Though I might claim to be traumatized because
Carl still lives. We came so close too!
Just cut them up like regular chickens

only the walking dead can hide a great 30-45 minutes inside an over-long 90-minute episode. there was no reason for that. also,
why the fuck would you hand neegan an inventory of all your shit? once everyone got back from the neegan murders, you would think there would have been a few things planned, like "these guys are coming for our stuff, so let's not show them ALL of it", but i guess that was too difficult. while it was kind of a bombshell to hear rick say he knows judith isn't his, i really don't understand what that fact had to do with what he was saying. he could have just as easily said, "i have to stay alive for judith" and be done with it. also interestingly, not "carl & judith", just judith. even he hates carl. still, there were some fantastic moments last night. pretty much every scene with neegan is awesome as shit. jeffrey is a fantastic actor. he's just being classic neegan, then hears a gunshot, and the instant transformation of his face say volumes no script could have. that was a truly chilling look no one on the show has been able to muster. worth re-watching just for that moment.

That code thing was dismissed by the writers and cast as wishful thinking. Of course, they always could be lying.

I do have to say this season has held my attention more than most.

TC wrote:watched sunday's episode last night. god i forgot how much i fucking hate carl. every scene, all i'm doing is hoping they find a way to kill him.
Right there with ya... But I've given up hope of them ever killing him off. If a fucking BULLET IN THE HEAD wont kill him, then nothing will. It's Carls world - we just live in it.

_Marcus_ wrote:
TC wrote:watched sunday's episode last night. god i forgot how much i fucking hate carl. every scene, all i'm doing is hoping they find a way to kill him.
Right there with ya... But I've given up hope of them ever killing him off. If a fucking BULLET IN THE HEAD wont kill him, then nothing will. It's Carls world - we just live in it.
At the end of the series we'll find out everything that happened from the middle of season 4 on has just been Carl's pudding induced hallucination.

I dunno, Carl is stepping up whilst Rick inexplicably acts like a pussy. Finding this season quite annoying so far, even more fragmented than usual, Negan is a tiresome pantomine villain + the character inconsistencies are getting worse. Just padding and more padding whilst we wait for Carol to come back and persuade Rick to help her kick Negan's arse.

yeah, this show is fucked in the head. they continue to draaaaaag things out for seasons instead of episodes. you would think they would have learned from mistakes made starting in S2. but nope, same shit, different season. and yes, they finally have a character worth watching in neegan and all they do is hide him away and stretch his existence into meaninglessness. they aren't going to last doing this, and people will blame it on
killing glenn and/or abraham
, which couldn't be further from the truth. the show finally demonstrates there are stakes, then backs so fucking far away from this point that you barely remember.

They keep overestimating how interesting their characters are. This last episode? Oh man. One character from this gallery of completely uninteresting protagonists can't carry an episode by themselves. Hell, most of them can't carry an episode together.

_Marcus_ wrote:They keep overestimating how interesting their characters are. This last episode? Oh man. One character from this gallery of completely uninteresting protagonists can't carry an episode by themselves. Hell, most of them can't carry an episode together.
yep. but i still say the "rick & daryll go exploring" episode was great fun.

Negan and the Saviors make the t.v. version of the Governor look like a teddy bear. I actually like the gal they followed last week, and that was a decent twist that the saviors killed all their men, although you'd think they would have grabbed half the women for their rape parties or whatnot too. Anyway, same show it's always been, hot mess, watch it or don't.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."