Re: The Walking Dead

The Sopranos was pretty lame on the whole. Liked a few of the Terence Winter episodes, especially the one where Ralph kills the hooker, although even those lacked replay value. Last season of Mad Men good I thought. The silent accommodation Don reaches with Megan in the final episode is quite heartbreaking! I mean... it's all a bit of a soap at the end of the day, and the direction (as with all US TV drama outside Lynch's Twin Peaks episodes!) is reliably formulaic, but as far as these things go...

Did anyone see the major network attempt to mimic Mad Men, Pan Am? By God, that was awful! :-)

If you have an ipad (or an xbox/PC/PS3, even though I feel the ipad-version is the superior one) and some free time on your hands, you should really play Telltales The Walking Dead. Some really amazing writing combined with absolutely gut wrenching moral decisions that the show so far has only hinted at. Worth a few bucks, I can assure you.

klimov wrote:The Sopranos was pretty lame on the whole. Liked a few of the Terence Winter episodes, especially the one where Ralph kills the hooker, although even those lacked replay value. Last season of Mad Men good I thought. The silent accommodation Don reaches with Megan in the final episode is quite heartbreaking! I mean... it's all a bit of a soap at the end of the day, and the direction (as with all US TV drama outside Lynch's Twin Peaks episodes!) is reliably formulaic, but as far as these things go...

Did anyone see the major network attempt to mimic Mad Men, Pan Am? By God, that was awful! :-)
I agree, soap opera (great nod to that at the end of season two, final line: "I'm pregnant!") but at least it deals in character study and subtlety, both of which are nicely in evidence in the silent accommodation you mention, that was a great scene.

Never bothered with Pan Am, what you report is what I and seemingly most other potential viewers felt.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

klimov wrote:Had a go... Not bowled over so far, a lot of cut scenes and not much interactivity. Not a patch on Undead Nightmare ;-)
Well yeah, its not that kind of game, obviously. Thats why I am so impressed with it. They create a sense of immersion despite it beeing an old school adventure game in many ways. You care about these people in the end and when you are forced to make moral choices, you can really feel it in your gut.

I just finished the second episode and man... Despite ancient/simple graphics and limited actual active playing time, they sure have me as a player by the balls and know exactly when to take a firm grip and twist. Some truly gut wrenching moral choices in this episode, wich has an effect on me that the tv-show hasn't had (yet). And I'm told ep 3 is even worse/better. Great stuff, highly recommended.

I got bored early in Chapter 1, but I guess I may return to it when I've got some phonetime to myself. Doesn't help that the interface is REALLY clunky on iPhone.

The game I've been hooked on lately actually is London 2012. You've probably written it off as a cheesy tie-in, but it's actually very well done and lots of fun, especially in multiplayer mode. I guess it helps that they had four years to plan. Also, it's coded by Australians (as is L.A. Noire) - seems to be quite a bit of Antipodean talent in the games world at present.

Sweet, AMC is reairing the first two seasons this weekend in anticipation of the third-season premiere Sunday night. Time for me to get caught up.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

do you mean the episode where we actually see that she's been in the barn the whole time, or do you mean the 8-10 episodes of "where's sofia???" i hope the former.

yeah, the opener was nice and tight. i really, really liked the opening scene - no dialog, just tense. i'd like to see an entire episode like that. like GI Joe #21 - snake eyes v storm shadow, no words just awesomeness.

TC wrote:do you mean the episode where we actually see that she's been in the barn the whole time, or do you mean the 8-10 episodes of "where's sofia???" i hope the former.
They did an excellent job foreshadowing what was to come with the barn in the early episodes... Rick told the old man "We'll take the barn," the old man quickly says "No," and that was it. Nothing more, no beating us over the head with dopey dialogue about "Why is the barn locked up?" Otherwise it would've been too obvious that the little girl was in there all along. (I mean, maybe it was obvious anyway to people who obsessively look for plot points and the like, but it worked as drama.)

The season 3 opener didn't blow me away in total, but it was well done. This is certainly a show that vastly improved following the wobbly first season. Perhaps Darabont getting the boot was just what was needed.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

It's the set-up that lends the impact. A predictable twist perhaps, but you're still not sure if they'll have the balls to actually do it until it happens.

An entire episode contrived to be without dialogue would become tiresome pretty quick imho...

Yup, show does seem to have improved immeasurably since Darabont left. Although the girl in the barn was his idea, I think. The new showrunner didn't agree with the twist, but went along with out of respect apparently, so it remains to be seen how things will pan out in the 3rd season. Looking good so far, though.

Dear ,

DISH is pleased to announce that we have reached a multi-year agreement with AMC Networks, which has restored AMC on channel 131.

All customers will be able to enjoy AMC in free preview on channel 131, and for fans of The Walking Dead, the first episode of the season will be available on-demand for a limited time*. Please check your channel guide for a complete listing.

We appreciate your patience during this time and thank you for being a valued DISH customer.

Sincerely,

DISH
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

Aww, I'm gonna miss all those bitchy NOT ON DISH promos on AMC. Glad for you dish people though.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."