Re: The Walking Dead

I really liked the whole second half of the season (and a fair amount of the first, although it could have trimmed about a full episode full of fat and not gotten half the bitching from the fans that it did), they did some thoughtful character development (before whacking said characters) and the climax is good. I knew from reading spoilers that they were going to the prison next (major fucked up early story arc in the comics, and considering they have cast The Governor from the comics for next season, expect things to get mighty fucked up) but when Michonne and her sword and her zombies showed up, both my wife and I screamed "FUCK YEAH!!!" Trust me, this show cannot help but get darker, weirder and better if they've added her and The Governor. I think they've gotten the initial "so this is how it's gonna be" stuff out of the way in the first two seasons and can get on to some total badassedry now. AMC better damn well give them the money too; this show was the No. 1 show on Sunday nights pretty much every time it aired an original episode, and by a huge margin. Like, the little cable network was beating the snot out of the Big 3, Fox, and everyone else. That's huge. That just doesn't happen.

I will say with the addition of those characters I do worry they're going to go the way of True Blood. True Blood season 1 was great, a lot of fun despite a fairly stale whodunnit arc. Season 2 was spectacular, their best by a mile. Season 3 held great promise and had a lot of shit going on, but by the end felt overstuffed (which is what I worry about with TWD). Season 4 was just a fucking travesty, an idoicy parade like I've seldom sat through. So, people who make Walking Dead--don't be like True Blood.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

yeah, agree. i heard the governor was coming and the samurai chick (these aren't really spoilers, marcus, trust me!). stoked.

never watched true blood, other than the few scenes i've seen of anna paquin naked.

Well like I said, S1 and S2 are some pretty high end pay cable supernatural trash, very entertaining.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Finally caught the last episode of the second season, and yes, the brief introduction of the samurai chick was bad-ass! I haven't read the comics so I have no idea who The Governos is, but the premise of a prison, creeping fascism and Lord of the Flies vibes gives me hope for the upcoming season.

Have to say that the season as a whole had way, way to much fat on it. They also lost it completely as far as characters arcs and writing are concerned. Too often a character went and did something that was the exact opposite of what that character was written to be (just stay with your fucking family, Rick, being a prime example). They managed to set some sort of record with un-motivated, un-explained and frankly lazy writing in the last episode where they just went for as many character cliff-hangers as possible. Me and my girlfriend were just pissed about the way some of the people in the show behaved, in one or two sentences completely cancelling out everything the show has made them out to be thus far.

I agree they could have trimmed some, but I also realize when you're 2 episodes into your shooting schedule and your showrunner gets fired, to continue on as well as they did was pretty impressive.

Based on the limited amount of the comics I've read (fist 2 volumes), Rick's running away is a constant, and a constant source of strife with the group and family--it's what he does, even when it's not the right thing to do, and I think it's very much on purpose.

yeah, given all the turmoil on the show behind the scenes, i think they did a passable job with this season. i fully agree that it's kind of a miracle given lots of flakey character writing and tons of fat over the mid-section of the season. it needs to get better, like i said. but i'm with you that now that they have kind of finished up what was started by darabount, they can hopefully confidently move on to their own work in s3.

Hey Slayer I have I think the first 52 issues on a HDD about 600mb. If you want I can burn ya a Cd and mail to ya.

Yea Funny how Walking Dead came out in 03 and 28 days was like 02

Love The Walking Dead, its easily the best thing that television has seen for a long time. Tonights episode UK is the last one until February though as theyre taking a mid season break.

Very weird. It hasn't tried to enlarge any parts of my body yet or offered to refinance my mortgage. I give it points for trying to be a on-topic bot. Why you would program such a thing is puzzling though.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Like Tony Scott (RIP) and Lars von Trier, this is the one of the things that my wife and myself both enjoy. Don't know anything about the comics, but liked the second season quite a bit more than the first (the departure of Frank Darabont *zzzz* probably had something to do with it) - the twist with the little girl in the barn was especially effective. Writing weak in places, of course (expect nothing less from a TV series) and found the end of season a bit head scratching and not very satisfying, but I guess this keeps us keen for Season 3... Mad Men still AMC's best show by a mile, of course.

klimov wrote:Like Tony Scott (RIP) and Lars von Trier, this is the one of the things that my wife and myself both enjoy. Don't know anything about the comics, but liked the second season quite a bit more than the first (the departure of Frank Darabont *zzzz* probably had something to do with it) - the twist with the little girl in the barn was especially effective. Writing weak in places, of course (expect nothing less from a TV series) and found the end of season a bit head scratching and not very satisfying, but I guess this keeps us keen for Season 3... Mad Men still AMC's best show by a mile, of course.
Have you watched Breaking Bad yet? That gives Mad Men a very stiff run for its money.

klimov wrote: Mad Men still AMC's best show by a mile, of course.
It was AMC's best, but after this most recent season that honor has shifted to Breaking Bad, which is near-fucking-flawless.

Mad Men is starting to follow the Sopranos trap of disappearing up its own ass.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I don't know, I really liked the most recent season of MM. Although with Weiner running the show they certainly could go the way of the Sopranos (I was actually never a huge fan of that show anyway).

Alexhead wrote:...they certainly could go the way of the Sopranos (I was actually never a huge fan of that show anyway).
that, i don't get. i know we've had the discussion in the sopranos thread but i can rewatch this series any day.