Re: David Lynch Blu-Ray tracker

this today, via
Universal UK joins New Line, MK2, and Madman Entertainment as yet another company that is releasing one of the greatest films with no extras, a poor transfer and audio mix not approved by David Lynch (transfer is a high def version of the 2004 DVD transfer done by MK2) and the obvious, no Deleted Scenes that fans have been waiting 20 years to see.

Cashing in on the 20th Anniversary and not a single relevant extra on this release? Fire Walk With Me deserves more respect. How utterly depressing. Boo on Universal UK. Horrible artwork as well.
so there you go.

I agreed with everything but the artwork. That was the orginal UK artwork more or less (minus Coop). So I don't fault them there. I do wish they'd done a new transfer. I wouldn't call the MK2 one totally awful, but it does have way too much edge enhancement. If you look at Universal UK's other releases, they don't seem to bother doing any new work themselves, they just license what's already out there. So since no one has stepped up to pay for the deleted scenes or anything else yet, they certainly won't. Same with the transfer. Still, if it's region unlocked I'll probably give it a shot.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Ok, so if I want (as in NEED BADLY) a good blue ray-disc of Lost Highway, wich one should I go for? It's of utmost importance that the almost pitch black scenes are done just right, for instance. I have two copies of it on dvd and the bad one is just unwatchable because of the extremely poor quality in those scenes.

EDIT: Is this the box that was mentioned earlier in this thread? If so, then I'm picking that fucker up, like, yesterday: http://cdon.se/film/david_lynch%3a_coll ... )-20352601

Avoid the UK box.

Mike recommends the German blu-ray of Lost Highway, I believe (can be bought alone, or in a box with Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire).

You'll need a 35mm print to get it looking really good however, and most cinemas these days wouldn't even bother showing that. It's a tragedy, actually.

Not all are from Amazon, but most. Here's where I purchased mine from:

Eraserhead Australia - Amazon US third party seller
Elephant Man French - Amazon.fr
Dune and Blue Velvet US - any US retailer
Wild At Heart UK - Amazon.uk - again, make sure you get the original release and not the new one.
Fire Walk With Me & Straight Story Japanese - yesasia.com (also has HK and JP Elephant Man which is exactly the same as the French disc)
Lost Highway German - Amazon.de (available seperately or in a box with MD and IE)
Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire German - Amazon.de (only available in box set with LH)

Amazon.de gets weird sometime about whether or not they'll ship to the US. But you can usually get the German discs from one of the other European Amazons like the UK.

Suggest you buy any Australian DVDs direct from ezydvd.com.au , they're good and cheap.

For Japanese discs, you have amazon.co.jp and cdjapan.co.jp , who unlike yesasia ship direct from Japan, although they're still extremely expensive (haven't used any of these for a decade, literally).

Re: Wild at Heart: The new release is better actually (although you'll need a region free player) since it also contains The Grandmother, Dumbland and Lumiere & Co.

Re: International Shipping on Amazon: you have to make sure that you're purchasing an actual Amazon DVD and not a merchant DVD "Fulfilled by Amazon". If the latter is cheaper, it gets offered as the default, but there's a box on the right hand side that'll let you switch to the actual Amazon offer.

Before you buy any of these, make sure you buy Week End (Criterion) - blu-ray of the year, hands down (also the funniest film ever made).

klimov wrote: For Japanese discs, you have amazon.co.jp and cdjapan.co.jp , who unlike yesasia ship direct from Japan, although they're still extremely expensive (haven't used any of these for a decade, literally).
When I compared the price between amazon.co.jp and yesasia, the price of the discs themselves with the exchange rate was pretty much the same. But yesasia gave free shipping if you spent over $50, which just one disc covered muchless the two. Shipping time seemed about the same, though I suppose if I'd mixed Japanese and HK discs it might have been longer.
klimov wrote:Re: Wild at Heart: The new release is better actually (although you'll need a region free player) since it also contains The Grandmother, Dumbland and Lumiere & Co.
The whole point of this exercise was to not have to buy a second lesser quality region free player.
klimov wrote:Before you buy any of these, make sure you buy Week End (Criterion) - blu-ray of the year, hands down (also the funniest film ever made).
Alright, what the hell, I'll bite. Ordered. If this move sucks you owe me $25.