Re: Judge Dredd (201x)

Speaking of above, I have edit and delete buttons on that post, but not the one before that I wanted to edit/delete.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

bought the DVD when it came out as part of a grass roots campaign to drum up support for a sequel. i still hadn't seen it, but had a few friends that i trusted that loved it so i supported. i remembered that it wasn't hated here. well, i finally got around to watching it last night. i fucking loved it. it's so judge dredd. lifted right from the comics. the attitude, everything is black & white - no grey area with him. he doesn't crack once until the very end, which is exactly how this would have ended if it were a graphic novel. speaking of which, the framing, the action, some of the shots, everything - right from a comic book. and he never takes off his helmet! this was really the perfect JD movie. there really should be a sequel from the same team that brings in judge death. the shots of those under the influence of "slo-mo" were really great in 3D. this film is exactly what it wanted to be. didn't try to do too much or be something it wasn't. high praise from me.

also, reading back through this thread is pretty funny. why yes alexhead, it IS time for a new punisher lol.

TC wrote:also, reading back through this thread is pretty funny. why yes alexhead, it IS time for a new punisher lol.
We technically got Howard the Duck too. Apparently we have more power than we realize.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

please STFU with the howard the duck references. multiple in the new GOTG is disconcerting. i hope they aren't trying to make that a thing again.

anyway...
io9 wrote:Judge Dredd Is Getting His Very Own Live-Action TV Show

Judge Dredd is getting another shot in live action. This time in a TV show.

The odds of Judge Dredd returning to the big screen are pretty slim, but the popular character will indeed be back, just in a different medium.

Entertainment Weekly reports that the character will be the star of a new live-action, ensemble drama called Judge Dredd: Mega City One. The show is in “early development” and “talent will be announced at a later date.” What we do know is that that IM Global and games studio Rebellion are teaming up for it, and the people at those companies helped develop Battlestar Galactica, Helix, and the 2012 Karl Urban-starring Dredd film.

Much like the comics where Dredd made his debut, the show is set in a futuristic megalopolis that’s overridden with crime. Dredd will be one of several “Judges” at the center of the show—police officers who act as judge, jury, and executioner, who are tasked with controlling crime in the city.

So basically it’s a futuristic cop show starring Judge Dredd.

“We’re very excited to be beginning the journey to get more of Judge Dredd’s Mega-City One on the television screen,” producers Jason and Chris Kingsley said in a press release. “Thanks to the legions of fans who have kept up pressure on social media, and a lot of background work and enthusiasm, we aim to make a big budget production that will satisfy both our vast comics audience and the even greater general screen-watching public.”

With a show this early in development, it doesn’t have a network or streaming service attached yet. But with so many out there these days, it would be pretty crazy if this didn’t get picked up.

Here’s an early teaser poster for the show.
b4vb2mgbjjdh7srzte2b.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

the movie was great. and while it's a great idea o expand focus of this to include other judges (like death, hopefully), how good this is will depend on the channel and budget. and writers, obviously. but this has to be hard R or it will blow.